Jim Whitesell
Christian Schmidt
Heather Turner
Vadim Fedetov
Jackie Moon

Your missing 

Sean Smiley - Ferdonia Head Coach

Brandon Woods - Sweet Home High coach

Yassin Idbihi - Staff on Brose Bamberg (maybe)

Parnell Smith

Calvin Cage - Assitant under Regige. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

At my age, I don't think I qualify as the "Up and Comer" that we're hoping for.  Last I coached was a Women's team in a Church league back in 85.  Lost in the finals.

Similar resume to Jerrod Calhoun's.

Edited by clodney
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Hi Gang,  I've been off the grid for the last week +.  I don't feel like going through 35 pages to find out where we are.  Someone please summarize for me.  Who have we offered the job to that has turned it down?  Who do the leading candidates seem to be at this time?  Thanks,

This pretty much sums things up.

Screenshot-20230328-132001.jpg

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, capencaper said:

Looking forward to seeing how this mess plays out. 

How much of this falls on the search firm we hired?

A lot. You pay for them to offer you candidates. McCollum was their top choice for us, and he only came out here to play nice and pump up his own stock. Calhoun did the same thing after he didn't want to deal with NIL issues like he did at YSU. 

They didn't need a search firm for Cohen or Washington. 

The point of them is to recommend qualified candidates who want to take a major job and match to the right openings. 

CSA has failed at this twice now.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kevin said:

A lot. You pay for them to offer you candidates. McCollum was their top choice for us, and he only came out here to play nice and pump up his own stock. Calhoun did the same thing after he didn't want to deal with NIL issues like he did at YSU. 

The point of them is to recommend qualified candidates who want to take a major job and match to the right openings. 

Guess we won’t be a reference for them

15 minutes ago, Kevin said:

While that is infuriating, at least it makes me feel like maybe our AD is more competent than I’ve been giving him credit for 

18 minutes ago, UBfan44 said:

While that is infuriating, at least it makes me feel like maybe our AD is more competent than I’ve been giving him credit for 

Unfortunately, he is the person who has chosen and paid these people twice now, so competence is still in question for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Search firms are not really what they sound like. Generally the AD brings the names to the table and they facilitate the process and "take the fall" if the hire doesn't work out. I don't have faith in Alnutt or the firm.

https://www.si.com/college/2019/05/22/coaching-search-firms-consultants-freshmen-mailbag

Edited by trueblue32

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

Not at all.

This falls on the Admin.

You hire a search firm to be able to communicate prospective coaches outside of SUNY's FOIL requirements.  You use the search firm to cast a wider net.

Qualified candidates have been brought to UB.  They are looking for compensation in the range of what UB told the firm would be the target range.  Candidates have had an interest in working for UB.  

The issue is UB closing the deal.

This is on the admin for not understanding the market better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ChubbyHubby said:

At my age, I don't think I qualify as the "Up and Comer" that we're hoping for.  Last I coached was a Women's team in a Church league back in 85.  Lost in the finals.

You did coach the men's team however for a long time. Overachieved with some of the guys on those rosters

13 minutes ago, ntsfinest said:

You did coach the men's team however for a long time. Overachieved with some of the guys on those rosters

"Coached" is a term that should be used very loosely.  We won a bunch of championships thanks to the young talent we had on the team.  I subbed in on occasion to give the guys a breather.  Thanks for the Kudos.  

4 hours ago, Jeseph said:

Offered and turned down: Adam Cohen, Ben McCollum
Maybe offered and maybe turned down: Jerrod Calhoun

Leading candidates (in no order):
Me
@Kevin
@BrooklynBull
Angres Thorpe
Jim Whitesell
Christian Schmidt
Heather Turner
Vadim Fedetov
Jackie Moon

I will pass.  My coaching experience is limited to one high school hockey game. My team was in last place.  In the last game of the season I was asked to coach the team because none of the regular coaches could make the game.  The team was in last place and we beat a team that needed the win to clinch the regular season title.  We won 6-5 with a goal in the last 10 seconds.

I then had the good sense to retire undefeated.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, UBfan44 said:

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

Unfortunately, he is the person who has chosen and paid these people twice now, so competence is still in question for me.

Did Alnutt go into this process thinking he had X dollars to offer and then had the rug pulled out from under him by the UB administration?

Just now, promotherobot said:

Did Alnutt go into this process thinking he had X dollars to offer and then had the rug pulled out from under him by the UB administration?

It seems like knowing that information going in would be a good place to start...

Just now, Jeseph said:

It seems like knowing that information going in would be a good place to start...

I'm just trying to wrap my head around how this could happen. Alnutt did hire Maurice Linguist and he was considered a solid get. So why now the s##t show? Something feels weird, like everyone's not pulling in the same direction.