Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

13 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

By the way Temple is only two days behind us and not having a coach.

This is true but their incompetence appears to be at the indecision level and not the constantly getting rejected level, which is where we are.

I don’t know which is worse.

We also have a university president and they do not.

3 hours ago, UBinMD said:

This seems like a reasonable option. A bit scary, but intriguing. The moneyball version of a basketball coach? I’m in, why the hell not!??!

I’m in. At this point what do we have to lose. Community and student interest is low, team performance is consistently dull. Give a blue collar coach a 1 or 2 year contract and let loose. Might be the scrappiest basketball you see but that’s what this school is about. Give him the shot and let’s grind it out. 

Unfortunately it comes down to this. UB is a top academic and research institution. Administration wants to prioritize that and they always will. If we pour money into athletics we risk our academic reputation just to be good at sports, just look at the other big name schools. When someone looks at Alabama, they think football, when someone looks at UB, they should think academics. We ride this fine line of reputation vs party, and in the end I’d rather have the former. I’d love to boast a great sports team, and I hate seeing the incompetence we have, but it’s not the end of the world. 

UB Bulls will get a head basketball coach but regardless it really doesn’t matter because Western New York isn’t a college sports town anymore since the 1980’s. And the landscape of major college athletics is changing not in a good way for Western New York Division I schools in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

1 hour ago, Blue03 said:

Unfortunately it comes down to this. UB is a top academic and research institution. Administration wants to prioritize that and they always will. If we pour money into athletics we risk our academic reputation just to be good at sports, just look at the other big name schools. When someone looks at Alabama, they think football, when someone looks at UB, they should think academics. We ride this fine line of reputation vs party, and in the end I’d rather have the former. I’d love to boast a great sports team, and I hate seeing the incompetence we have, but it’s not the end of the world. 

I am a proud Buffalonian of 55 years and counting but I wouldn’t say Buffalo is a great sports town. I don’t think regardless what UB does that I would say UB is this great academic institution. UB is not Stanford, California-Berkeley or City College of New York or New York University or the Ivy League schools even though UB wants that more than anything I agree with that. Again what is sad all the money UB has spent on MAC athletics if the Buffalo Blizzard or Buffalo Destroyers were brought back in some form they tomorrow they would outdraw UB Bulls basketball even if “Mr Wonderful” Danny White was still UB AD. Buffalo is a good professional sports town not great because we have economic limitations of high end professional sports. Buffalo Bandits outdraw all the Buffalo Big 4 basketball schools combined. Because Buffalo is a professional sports town. Put UB Bulls football in the new Bills stadium along with a potential Buffalo USFL football expansion team or Buffalo XFL football expansion team one of those spring football teams for Buffalo spring football team would out draw UB Bulls MAC football at the same new Bills stadium in the fall in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

4 hours ago, Blue03 said:

They aren’t mutually exclusive. You can do both. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

According to Google, Groce is $650k, Boals is $580k and Kowalczyk is $530k. Senderoff is $285k (as of right now). 

Are any of those second contracts? Senderoff has to be on his third by now. Kowalczyk and Groce probably second. Every candidate so far except Calhoun would have been a first time head coach too

8 hours ago, Blue03 said:

Explain 

• UNC
  • Texas
  • Ohio State
  • Pitt
  • Purdue
  • Michigan
  • Michigan State
  • Maryland
  • Clemson
  • UF
  • Virgina
  • UCLA
  • Georgia

I could go on. However there are plenty of on par or much much better schools for academics, that also have athletics at a vastly superior level then us. All these schools people also think about that is a really good school. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

Explain 

• UNC
  • Texas
  • Ohio State
  • Pitt
  • Purdue
  • Michigan
  • Michigan State
  • Maryland
  • Clemson
  • UF
  • Virgina
  • UCLA
  • Georgia

I could go on. However there are plenty of on par or much much better schools for academics, that also have athletics at a vastly superior level then us. All these schools people also think about that is a really good school. 

I retract my statement, but still think it weighs in administration’s mind that they’d rather invest money elsewhere.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, capencaper said:

SUNY is a whole different animal compared to most of those other institutions listed.

This is the understatement of the thread. 

You could tell me we must pay our coach the same as SUNY Cantons's coach. To make things fair across the system.

Or that this must be an internal hire in the SUNY system, and we need to go find another SUNY basketball coach and have them "internally" transfer.

Come to think of it. If we were to go poach another SUNY coach. Would we have to pay a buyout to the school? Its all SUNY money after all?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

Explain 

• UNC
  • Texas
  • Ohio State
  • Pitt
  • Purdue
  • Michigan
  • Michigan State
  • Maryland
  • Clemson
  • UF
  • Virgina
  • UCLA
  • Georgia

Butler's applications jumped 50% after the final four runs. Still voted #1 school in Mid-West by Newsweek. One of the smallest schools in a power conference. Matta rebuilding program back to where it was under Stevens and Holtman. 716 native Kevin Kuwick is assistant HC and 716 born Greg Oden on staff. 

27 minutes ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

Butler's applications jumped 50% after the final four runs. Still voted #1 school in Mid-West by Newsweek. One of the smallest schools in a power conference. Matta rebuilding program back to where it was under Stevens and Holtman. 716 native Kevin Kuwick is assistant HC and 716 born Greg Oden on staff. 

Unfortunately while the 2018-19 season was nice, the lack of that team's ability to get past the Round of 32 kind of made them forgettable in the national eye.

We can talk about their record all we want, but people still talk about George Mason in 2006 and and St. Peter's as these great Cinderella stories, but we were a six seed, who lost in the second round.

And I say this, because while it obviously helped Nate out tremendously, what did it really do for our school?  Did applications jump? Did UB become more known nationally in the long run for that season or were they just more known during the year.

You know, the more I see the FAU's and the Princeton's this year, the truth is that team slightly underachieved when the bright lights were on them in March...I say that with acknowledging the terrible matchup with Texas Tech.

1 hour ago, Blue03 said:

I retract my statement, but still think it weighs in administration’s mind that they’d rather invest money elsewhere.

I think NYS probably has their priorities in line (valuing education over athletics), but having a strong athletics program can be important to recruiting students and giving national attention to the school. Sometimes I think that fact escapes them. It also sucks as fans knowing that there seems to be a low ceiling because it’s a SUNY school. The easiest fix would be for more fan support, but with a limited history it seems like the alumni don’t buy in to athletics because it wasn’t a big part of their college experience.

Edited by UBfan44

21 minutes ago, BullBoy said:

Did applications jump? Did UB become more known nationally in the long run for that season or were they just more known during the year.

Our enrollment continues to go up while nationally college enrollment goes down. Look at Akron’s enrollment from the past decade. UB continues to be selective and has increasing enrollment. 

Applications didn’t jump in 2019, but having a strong athletics program helps increase applications 35% in a decade

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rma said:

Our enrollment continues to go up while nationally college enrollment goes down. Look at Akron’s enrollment from the past decade. UB continues to be selective and has increasing enrollment. 

Applications didn’t jump in 2019, but having a strong athletics program helps increase applications 35% in a decade

Yup. Plus, UB needs to continue to outpace the other SUNY research schools, and one big way to do that is through athletics.

• Like 1