Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

2023 Transfer Portal (outbound)

ub2019

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

Who are you referring to? Their HC is from Abilene Christian. Did the win a D2 National Championship before moving up?

Texas Western beat Kentucky in 1966 for the DI championship in the NCAAs. Texas Western is now named UTEP.

4 minutes ago, squire17 said:

Texas Western beat Kentucky in 1966 for the DI championship in the NCAAs. Texas Western is now named UTEP.

Ah, didn't realize you were talking about the program in general, not a specific coach. Not sure the 1966 championship played into his decision, but I could be wrong.

• 2 months later...

Looks like Curtis Jones had a good start to the Iowa St. preseason in the Bahamas. Not sure how the talent they played against stacks up against D1 teams, but 19.3 ppg over 3 games with a 32 pt game on 8-12 3-pt shooting is pretty solid.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/cyclone-insider/2023/08/09/curtis-jones-keshon-gilbert-iowa-state-mens-basketball-bahamas-trip/70562608007/

Isaac Jack is hanging out with his Dayton teammates in Paris and announced an NIL payment from Fifth Third Bank on X. Sounds like he is starting off 2023-24 well.

My teammates and I are fortunate to have #NIL opportunities from @DaytonFlyers corporate partners and other community organizations. Earlier today, a transfer from @FifthThird hit my account from @daytonnil while my teammates and I were walking the streets of Paris.

4 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Looks like Curtis Jones had a good start to the Iowa St. preseason in the Bahamas. Not sure how the talent they played against stacks up against D1 teams, but 19.3 ppg over 3 games with a 32 pt game on 8-12 3-pt shooting is pretty solid.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/cyclone-insider/2023/08/09/curtis-jones-keshon-gilbert-iowa-state-mens-basketball-bahamas-trip/70562608007/

3 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Isaac Jack is hanging out with his Dayton teammates in Paris and announced an NIL payment from Fifth Third Bank on X. Sounds like he is starting off 2023-24 well.

My teammates and I are fortunate to have #NIL opportunities from @DaytonFlyers corporate partners and other community organizations. Earlier today, a transfer from @FifthThird hit my account from @daytonnil while my teammates and I were walking the streets of Paris.

Nice, 2 players that UB developed but couldn't afford to keep.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, UBinMD said:

To be clear, Dayton donors paid him to play. The check simply hit his bank account which happens to be 5th 3rd. The bank has nothing to do with it. Straight pay to play. 

17 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Nice, 2 players that UB developed but couldn't afford to keep.

Likely to be plenty more of that in the coming years.  

Personally I'm glad the players are finally being paid what they're worth, though I acknowledge that UB will likely just end up a feeder to higher-profile schools.

Daydreaming about how to make things fair for both student and school.

What if the school where a player begins their career receives a share of any NIL profits made by a player who transfers (proportionally depending on their time at the school). If college athletics is fully a business now, then positive investments (time, development) in an asset's (player's) value should be rewarded. Any money received by the school would be required to go into a "players fund" to be distributed to the remaining roster or to develop NIL infrastructure.

This would help smaller schools catch up ever so slightly in the arms race that college sports have become. It would be like lowly soccer clubs getting paid when their young stars transfer to larger clubs. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Daydreaming about how to make things fair for both student and school.

What if the school where a player begins their career receives a share of any NIL profits made by a player who transfers (proportionally depending on their time at the school). If college athletics is fully a business now, then positive investments (time, development) in an asset's (player's) value should be rewarded. Any money received by the school would be required to go into a "players fund" to be distributed to the remaining roster or to develop NIL infrastructure.

This would help smaller schools catch up ever so slightly in the arms race that college sports have become. It would be like lowly soccer clubs getting paid when their young stars transfer to larger clubs. 

I think you are forgetting one major thing…schools do not receive money to then pay players. Example: If I’m a billionaire who wants to pay players to go to UB, I go directly to the player. I don’t give money to the school. Money goes directly to players from boosters or collectives. Obviously there’s gray area there (backdoor winks and nods) but schools don’t have funds that then are given to select players. That’s not how NIL works. To me this is nothing new. It just brings everything to light. Example: Miami, FL basketball. This is getting into the weeds but schools can’t pay players bc then technically they become employees. Then you get into a whole heap of other issues like state vs private. Unionization. Bla bla bla. 

I find it funny that NIL has pissed off everyone. Even Nick Saban. To me that tells you it’s working. I also find it funny that the minute players make some money, the schools and NCAA right away want their cut. And if they can’t get a cut they wanna curtail NIL. As if the schools and NCAA haven’t been hoarding all the money all these decades. As if Saban doesn’t make over 10 million a year. He’s just mad he can’t hoard all the good players anymore. 

In its simplest form NIL gives a player, from any sport, the chance to make money off their name, image and likeness. For big schools who have rich alum you get what we are seeing play out. But for smaller schools it’s on the individual player to seek out deals for themselves and local businesses to perhaps partner with players. And over time you hope a collective is formed. 

3 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I think you are forgetting one major thing…schools do not receive money to then pay players. Example: If I’m a billionaire who wants to pay players to go to UB, I go directly to the player. I don’t give money to the school. Money goes directly to players from boosters or collectives. Obviously there’s gray area there (backdoor winks and nods) but schools don’t have funds that then are given to select players. That’s not how NIL works. To me this is nothing new. It just brings everything to light. Example: Miami, FL basketball. This is getting into the weeds but schools can’t pay players bc then technically they become employees. Then you get into a whole heap of other issues like state vs private. Unionization. Bla bla bla. 

I find it funny that NIL has pissed off everyone. Even Nick Saban. To me that tells you it’s working. I also find it funny that the minute players make some money, the schools and NCAA right away want their cut. And if they can’t get a cut they wanna curtail NIL. As if the schools and NCAA haven’t been hoarding all the money all these decades. As if Saban doesn’t make over 10 million a year. He’s just mad he can’t hoard all the good players anymore. 

In its simplest form NIL gives a player, from any sport, the chance to make money off their name, image and likeness. For big schools who have rich alum you get what we are seeing play out. But for smaller schools it’s on the individual player to seek out deals for themselves and local businesses to perhaps partner with players. And over time you hope a collective is formed. 

Great point! The athletic department can make it easier and foster that relationship between the Booster clubs ,Collectives and the athletes. For instance I want to purchase a basketball jersey but at this time you can not purchase a UB athlete jersey for any sport unlike at the WKU
https://www.fanatics.com/college/western-kentucky-hilltoppers/college-basketball-gear/o-38+t-13371514+c-75+z-90136-3515545301 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I guess I just didn't care to get into the weeds, but as far as collectives are just schools' "independent" vehicles to pay players, there could still be something there - a collective to collective transfer. A player starts out getting paid $10k by UB's collective and transfers somewhere that gives them $80k, that new school's collective then owes UB's $10k every year they play there. Then UB's collective ostensibly has $20k to use to replace that player.

Players deserve the benefits they're receiving now, but schools, donors, fans also contribute greatly to the success of college sports that positions the players to profit. Shift the balance of power too far to players and the top of the top schools, and the foundation may begin to crumble. I think we're starting to see it already with the P5 realignment.

I was just trying to think of some way that schools like UB could benefit from the investment of recruiting guys like Curtis and Jack, developing their game, educating them, only to see them leave for greener pastures and us left empty-handed and never able to plan for future rosters. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

I guess I just didn't care to get into the weeds, but as far as collectives are just schools' "independent" vehicles to pay players, there could still be something there - a collective to collective transfer. A player starts out getting paid $10k by UB's collective and transfers somewhere that gives them $80k, that new school's collective then owes UB's $10k every year they play there. Then UB's collective ostensibly has $20k to use to replace that player.

Players deserve the benefits they're receiving now, but schools, donors, fans also contribute greatly to the success of college sports that positions the players to profit. Shift the balance of power too far to players and the top of the top schools, and the foundation may begin to crumble. I think we're starting to see it already with the P5 realignment.

I was just trying to think of some way that schools like UB could benefit from the investment of recruiting guys like Curtis and Jack, developing their game, educating them, only to see them leave for greener pastures and us left empty-handed and never able to plan for future rosters. 

Your ideas are noble. But I just think in reality when it comes to money…every party is greedy. The school, NCAA, conferences, coaches, collectives themselves and now players. Money breeds corruption. So unfortunately as long as money is involved nobility goes out the window. I hear ya, when I read that Jones went off for over 30 it leaves me wishing he was still here. But in a world where long time rivalries are getting chucked to the side for conference conglomeration we as fans are viewed as the suckers who will tune in no matter. All while everyone else’s pockets get fat. 

Wouldn’t shock me if the newly formed mega conferences broke away from the NCAA in 5 years. Seems like we are trending in that direction

Edited by DooleyBull06
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Your ideas are noble. But I just think in reality when it comes to money…every party is greedy. The school, NCAA, conferences, coaches, collectives themselves and now players. Money breeds corruption. So unfortunately as long as money is involved nobility goes out the window. I hear ya, when I read that Jones went off for over 30 it leaves me wishing he was still here. But in a world where long time rivalries are getting chucked to the side for conference conglomeration we as fans are viewed as the suckers who will tune in no matter. All while everyone else’s pockets get fat. 

Wouldn’t shock me if the newly formed mega conferences broke away from the NCAA in 5 years. Seems like we are trending in that direction

I think you're right on unfortunately. I'd just like us smaller schools to be as greedy as we can be if that's how it's all going to be.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea (for CBB in particular) of a Euro soccer model. A range of tiers that will naturally fall across $$$ lines, with promotion and relegation year-to-year, transfers that reward players and schools for developing talent. Six tiers of 60 schools, all competing for their own championships, with the top and bottom 8 getting shuffled between tiers each year. Probably crazy, but I think some form of organization by budget and prestige is already underway, whether that leads to the mega conferences we're seeing now or separate entities entirely outside of the NCAA.

In the end, at the scale certain major sports have reached now, using colleges and universities as the hosts for elite athletics is probably archaic and only beneficial to a few involved. In football, basketball, baseball, hockey, soccer, there should probably be a youth academy system that feeds directly into the pros like in European soccer and hoops. It would break my heart to see major collegiate sports die along with drafts, etc, but it feels that's where things are headed. 

The crazy thing is that this is all football driven. Look at Oregon State and Wazu. Left behind by almost everyone in the PAC 12 and they might have to join the Mountain West. And if they do they will have to cut other athletic programs bc of the 30 million dollar annual loss of tv revenue. 

Here’s an idea…let football be its own thing. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

To be clear, Dayton donors paid him to play. The check simply hit his bank account which happens to be 5th 3rd. The bank has nothing to do with it. Straight pay to play. 

Understood, I didn't think banks were paying directly...not yet anyway 😂

On 8/11/2023 at 8:54 AM, UBlearns said:

Likely to be plenty more of that in the coming years.  

Personally I'm glad the players are finally being paid what they're worth, though I acknowledge that UB will likely just end up a feeder to higher-profile schools.

I’m unclear how to find a player’s “worth”. Is that an objective or subjective value?  

13 hours ago, 1975 said:

I’m unclear how to find a player’s “worth”. Is that an objective or subjective value?  

If it weren't for student subsidies the vast majority of athletic departments in this country would be horribly unprofitable, so you could argue these players wouldn't be worth anything. 

2 hours ago, clodney said:

If it weren't for student subsidies the vast majority of athletic departments in this country would be horribly unprofitable, so you could argue these players wouldn't be worth anything. 

Wouldn't this just apply to non-football and non-men's basketball sports? Athletic departments dedicated and right-sized to those two sports alone would be profitable just fine. It's the rest of the sports and athletes that are subsidized, by students and by the profits of the big two sports.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Wouldn't this just apply to non-football and non-men's basketball sports? Athletic departments dedicated and right-sized to those two sports alone would be profitable just fine. It's the rest of the sports and athletes that are subsidized, by students and by the profits of the big two sports.

If you think a school like Buffalo generates enough revenue off of Football and Men’s Basketball to even fund those sports alone, I have a bridge to sell you.