Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Next Coach In - ???

I saw some Twitter politicians lobbying for Brian Polian and I laughed, but then I realized even Brian Polian wouldn't take the job since he's probably making twice whatever UB could offer as Athletic Director of John Carroll

Depending on how the next few weeks of the NFL season go, crawling back to DJ Mangas might be an attractive option that the public would support

Dino Babers is available

38 minutes ago, RapidsFan said:

I saw some Twitter politicians lobbying for Brian Polian and I laughed, but then I realized even Brian Polian wouldn't take the job since he's probably making twice whatever UB could offer as Athletic Director of John Carroll

Depending on how the next few weeks of the NFL season go, crawling back to DJ Mangas might be an attractive option that the public would support

Dino Babers is available

I appreciate being called a Twitter politician!

50 minutes ago, RapidsFan said:

Brian Polian wouldn't take the job since he's probably making twice whatever UB could offer as Athletic Director of John Carroll

Polian is making less than what Mo was paid and should stay at John Carroll. 

Edited by rma

1 hour ago, Kr632 said:

As soon as I heard the Linguist news Alex Van Pelt came to mind. I have no idea how he would be in college. But he is available now. 

Unless something has changed since 2006, he will be a very hard hire.  Turner Gill wanted him as an assistant.  They had to get waivers, because he never graduated PItt.  They got the waivers and then he went to the NFL, the Bills I think.

2 hours ago, capencaper said:

What about Joe Harasymiak out of Rutgers? Young, but has some head coaching experience in the northeast at Maine. 

He was a finalist last time. Would not be surprising at all and would be a great get.

51 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Unless something has changed since 2006, he will be a very hard hire.  Turner Gill wanted him as an assistant.  They had to get waivers, because he never graduated PItt.  They got the waivers and then he went to the NFL, the Bills I think.

"Unless something has changed since 2006..." is an unintentionally hilarious phrase. 

One characteristic I'd like to see from the next coach is to be a straight shooter, and be honest and transparent when he speaks....and not full of cliches' and coach speak.

I've never heard another coach talk and say absolutely nothing as much as Mo did.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, RapidsFan said:

Dino Babers is available

Btw, I have it on good authority that Brian Polian almost landed the Bowling Green Head Coaching job before Scot Loeffler got the position. Polian was one of their top candidates. So if he was interested in BGSU, I'd think he'd be willing to come back home.

He's obviously the son of Bill Polian. Grew up in Buffalo, attended Saint Francis High School. Has been an assistant on UB twice, was the head coach at Nevada and Special Teams Coordinator at Notre Dame and LSU. He's a person that would take the job and stay here to turn things around for the long haul in my opinion.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Btw, I have it on good authority that Brian Polian almost landed the Bowling Green Head Coaching job before Scot Loeffler got the position. Polian was one of their top candidates. So if he was interested in BGSU, I'd think he'd be willing to come back home.

He's obviously the son of Bill Polian. Grew up in Buffalo, attended Saint Francis High School. Has been an assistant on UB twice, was the head coach at Nevada and Special Teams Coordinator at Notre Dame and LSU. He's a person that would take the job and stay here to turn things around for the long haul in my opinion.

Wasn't he 23-27 at Nevada?

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Wasn't he 23-27 at Nevada?

He wasn't great but they moved on from him pretty quickly. Polian had two winning seasons, two bowl appearances and one bowl win in four years. Their legendary coach Chris Ault went 7-6 his final two seasons before Polian took over.

The point is UB isn't getting an experienced head coach with an impressive resume with their budget. They have a few options in my opinion:

1. Go after another young up & coming coordinator/positional coach to spice up the program
  2. Hire a very successful experienced coach from a lower level like FCS or D2/D3
  3. Hire an experienced D1 head coach that might not have worked out at last job but willing to come to Buffalo for another opportunity

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

I know Brian Polian has Buffalo ties and UB ties, but I'd be pretty disappointed in the hire.  No offense to the guy, but it's not a hire that would inspire much confidence, for me personally.  

I'd rather someone who has a winning history at lower levels of the sport (like Leipold), or take a shot on a young rising coach (like Linguist).  Someone like Joe Harasymiak, as already mentioned, could fit the bill if there's interest.

47 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

He wasn't great but they moved on from him pretty quickly. Polian had two winning seasons, two bowl appearances and one bowl win in four years. Their legendary coach Chris Ault went 7-6 his final two seasons before Polian took over.

The point is UB isn't getting an experienced head coach with an impressive resume with their budget. They a few options in my opinion:

1. Go after another young up & coming coordinator/positional coach to spice up the program
  2. Hire a very successful experienced coach from a lower level like FCS or D2/D3
  3. Hire an experienced D1 head coach that might not have worked out at last job but willing to come to Buffalo for another opportunity

My preference is #2. We have good resources compared to where they are coming from, so that should be a step up and they have proven to be able to build a program and win. I'm not ready to go with the untested guy again and just a coordinator/position coach. Oats was a successful HS head coach that won, LL was a successful DIII coach that won. Hurley changed our mentality as a program, but wasn't a great coach. His contribution was bringing in Oats. FLJ was a failed D1 coach who came in, learned from her previous issues and took that program to another level. In our recent history and the most successful time in UB history, the coaches are proven winners in the #1 seat.

• Like 3

This reminds me of when Lance was hired.  I was playing golf with a fellow who is in the Michigan HS Hall of Fame as a coach.  I asked him if he thought a D3 guy could make the transition to FBS successfully.  His answer, "A good coach will always be a good coach".

I vote for option 2 mentioned previously.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, verandaman said:

This reminds me of when Lance was hired.  I was playing golf with a fellow who is in the Michigan HS Hall of Fame as a coach.  I asked him if he thought a D3 guy could make the transition to FBS successfully.  His answer, "A good coach will always be a good coach".

I vote for option 2 mentioned previously.

I remember you posting that back when LL Cool Coach was first hired.  It has proven to be true.

• Like 1