Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Transfer Portal

John

12 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

As much as it might be a good addition,  it would really be boom or bust for us then. We'd have such a reliance on seniors (already will have 3 big cogs in that class). I'd be more worried about future, unless we added a couple of young guys along with him. Adding a scorer is rarely a bad choice though! He must've developed big time in college, as he was very good in HS, but 20ppg in college is massive. 

I'm with you on needing to add youth. I'd prefer 3 HS recruits and 1 transfer guard who can shoot for a 4 man class. I just haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that the staff is seeking out HS kids.

Trying to sort out how many spots we have open.  Assuming Graves, Bertram, Nickelberry and Fagan are moving on and no transfers out of the program.  We have, I believe 10 scholarship players:

5 Seniors - Brewton, Jack, Segu, Williams, and Mballa

2 Juniors - Gallion, and Hardnett

2 Sophomores - Skogman and Zachery - assuming that Zachery returns and maintains same amount of eligibility

1 Freshman - Williamson.

Please correct if I have made a mistake.  Does this mean we have 3 remaining scholarships for a total of 13 (I found site that said teams are limited to 13 for men's basketball). 

Assuming we have 3 scholarships I would agree we should focus on filling out FR - JR classes, maybe 1 additional in each class depending on best available.

Regardless of how many spots we have left, number 1 need is PG. If Zachery comes back he helps that cause but if not then next year Segu is the only one we have. And keep in mind all the times Graves and Nickelberry had to run point. If a 6’4 or better SG is there grab him. And a versatile wing. Someone in the Harris/Williams type mold.

40 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Toledo has 3 in the portal.

Akron's Reece to transfer.

Only the beginning...especially with all of the stinkers the “big schools” have put up in the tournament. I can see them targeting top players from mid-majors.

9 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Only the beginning...especially with all of the stinkers the “big schools” have put up in the tournament. I can see them targeting top players from mid-majors.

Agreed, but let's hope our players like what they have here and don't join.  So far so good.

Screenshot_20210322-174457.png

7 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

not sure what his personal reasons were for leaving TT, but a Chicago kid, and fills a need for us. Also, seeing Mballa come transfer from there and have success could be intruding to him. Would be a stretch get for us probably but maybe.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimari_Burnett

So far what I see is he didn't play in any games after 1/5, prior to that was averaging 15-20 minutes a game, but his stats were not great.  Texas Tech has depth at guard, so maybe looking for more playing time.  Maybe worth a shot.

https://247sports.com/Article/Basketball-recruiting-Illinois-Oregon-Alabama-USC-Vanderbilt-Nimari-Burnett-161310490/

Burnett was the highest rated recruit TT had ever picked up. Mballa was relatively under-recruited, by comparison, and still probably only came here based on connection to our since departed assistant coach. Very unlikely. Doesn't mean we can't find some gems in the portal or among yet to be recruited freshman (look at CJ and Preston).

5 minutes ago, McBulls said:

.... Doesn't mean we can't find some gems in the portal or among yet to be recruited freshman (look at CJ and Preston).

They don’t even need to be that good in their first year.  Look at Hamlet and Reece winning a tournament game for North Texas.  How would fans feel if they stayed at UB?

I Don't know why but I'm really not worried about any big player of ours transferring. I just feel they are comfortable here and know what they are capable of. They all seem to get along for the most part and can definitely make a run at the Mac next year. 

4 hours ago, Bill said:

I Don't know why but I'm really not worried about any big player of ours transferring. I just feel they are comfortable here and know what they are capable of. They all seem to get along for the most part and can definitely make a run at the Mac next year. 

I honestly don't think any of them will.  They'd be crazy to do so really, they're gonna be seniors and leaders on the team with a chance to win the conference and try and show themselves off in the NCAA tournament.  I think they stay for a chance to really prove themselves next year and I believe it'll pay off.