Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Transfer Portal

John

1 hour ago, Jeseph said:

🤯

This number is crazy. I wonder what % actually will transfer and if the % entering & actually transferring has increased or decreased in the last couple of years. I think that some just like to throw their name out there while others are guaranteed to be moving on.

Are players who enter the portal still guaranteed their spot/scholarship if they eventually choose to return? With such a high number entering, the mechanics of holding roster spaces open while searching for potential replacements seem like a nightmare for coaches.

2 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Are players who enter the portal still guaranteed their spot/scholarship if they eventually choose to return? With such a high number entering, the mechanics of holding roster spaces open while searching for potential replacements seem like a nightmare for coaches.

I doubt it's a guarantee. Coaches probably look at potential transfers like any other recruit in this situation (we want to fill a spot with this player but we can't bank on it until they're [re]committed).

15 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

It probably depends on whether their current team is hopeful that they'd stay or content with their departure/suggested that they left.  I'm sure BG held Turner's slot (along with doing all of the convincing to return as possible), but the 12th man they would've closed it out swiftly.

Thought I would share some information regarding transfer portal from MAC perspective.  There are currently 34 players in the portal from the MAC, with only Ohio not having at least one (recall we have Chanse in the portal).  Here are the counts and percent of minutes by team:

image.png.4ebee9a7b775604ad26f58aa57cc4586.png

It is clear that winning helps incentivize players to stay put.

In terms of younger talent looking for better opportunity - here are the top five in terms of points scored:

image.png.7ed183c07aa273b2b63ef45d878e2ecc.png

Here are the top 5 JR/SRs looking at option to play elsewhere:

image.png.dd29d559b210225390a724dd735feaf0.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tee4three said:

I believe we offered and might have been a finalist for vince cole who committed to st John's is in the portal

Also a good amount of former 4 star pg in the portal wonder if anyone wants to come here and run an up tempo offense with segu 

Not sure if he is simply looking for a better P5 program or we would have a shot, but he would be a very good replacement for Graves (if we can work in minutes for him, Brewton and Jack).  Here are Vince's numbers at St. John's vs Graves latest year:

image.png.b88640afb620c00d2da46ddedc7631c2.png

Vince would be more of an outside threat than Graves.  Also a significant improvement on FT line - shooting 83.3%.

5 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Not sure if he is simply looking for a better P5 program or we would have a shot, but he would be a very good replacement for Graves (if we can work in minutes for him, Brewton and Jack).  Here are Vince's numbers at St. John's vs Graves latest year:

image.png.b88640afb620c00d2da46ddedc7631c2.png

Vince would be more of an outside threat than Graves.  Also a significant improvement on FT line - shooting 83.3%.

Graves shot 60% from near the rim!? Why the heck didn’t we get him more looks in that are? Crazy. Remember how we use to run back door alley oops for him. Poor utilization of him. 

4 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Graves shot 60% from near the rim!? Why the heck didn’t we get him more looks in that are? Crazy. Remember how we use to run back door alley oops for him. Poor utilization of him. 

140 attempts is like 6-7 per game. That's a pretty good amount for a guard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

1 hour ago, skrabukes said:

140 attempts is like 6-7 per game. That's a pretty good amount for a guard.

Here are Graves' career stats
image.png.049a4eccebe949cfe9f7a274f52146b6.png

I would suggest that his attempts at the rim went down this past year in part due to the development of Williams, Mballa and to lesser extent Hardnett.   However, the percent assisted is lower this year than any of years in past.  The last year of Oats may be what you are thinking about with alley oops - as over 50% of his at the rim points were assisted.

Edit: Need to clarify - the number of at the rim attempts are down in 2021; but I realized I overlooked that the team played 7 fewer games.  Graves' at the rim attempts per game is actually up slightly 5.56 (SR) vs 5.44 (JR). 

Edited by DocCas86
  • Like 2

Now we're talking...😎

Had a feeling Gaines would be entering. Pairing him with Nate on the wing would be ridiculous in the MAC. I have a feeling he might find the playing time available here appealing after his experience at Tennessee.

Molson would also look nice in blue, but he might be a little redundant with Jack. I'd prefer Molson every time, but since Jack's already in the fold it may scare him away.

32 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

this could be a great possibility 

Why would Molson be a ‘get’ for UB? I don’t see it. His numbers at Seton Hall were not good. Too much baggage. The Bulls need players that are team oriented. He also seems short in the skills department, and never saw a shot he didn’t like.

4 minutes ago, squire17 said:

Why would Molson be a ‘get’ for UB? I don’t see it. His numbers at Seton Hall were not good. Too much baggage. The Bulls need players that are team oriented. He also seems short in the skills department, and never saw a shot he didn’t like.

Best part about Molson would be the ramp up of the canisus rivalry to another notch 

• Haha 1

Shouldn’t the Bulls assume that Jack will replace Graves’ role, and concentrate on getting some good freshmen instead of trying to fill the roster with more upperclassmen? Jack is coming from a better conference and has impressive stats. Molson? I wouldn’t touch him with a ten foot pole at this point. ‘Ticket’ Gaines? He’s got zero playing time. I wouldn’t gamble on him, although he might be the real deal.

1 hour ago, squire17 said:

Shouldn’t the Bulls assume that Jack will replace Graves’ role, and concentrate on getting some good freshmen instead of trying to fill the roster with more upperclassmen? Jack is coming from a better conference and has impressive stats. Molson? I wouldn’t touch him with a ten foot pole at this point. ‘Ticket’ Gaines? He’s got zero playing time. I wouldn’t gamble on him, although he might be the real deal.

We need impact players when Mballa, Segu, and Williams graduate. Do you really trust some 18 year old freshman? I agree we need to get a few but we have to solidify the next superstar on the team. A guy like Gaines and the size and obviously some talent to attract Tennessee. I agree about Molson, don’t think we need him and would rather use it for a freshman transfer like Hardnett or a actual freshman.

25 minutes ago, RoughToughBulls15 said:

We need impact players when Mballa, Segu, and Williams graduate. Do you really trust some 18 year old freshman?

This year is the perfect year to bring in at least 2 freshmen. By the time Williams, Mballa, Segu graduate, the incoming frosh  will be sophomores. With a year under their belt. That’s how you build sustained success. You grow players and  when they become good you have more in house to take their place. Example: CJ and company to Graves, Graves to Williams and Segu. All had talent ahead of them...played some as underclassmen then led the team as upperclassmen. Pass the baton. This is the perfect year to bring in freshman with no pressure on them as we have a group of upperclassmen leading the team. Bringing in a transfer senior won’t solve the issues we will have once Jack, Williams, Mballa, Segu and Brewton all graduate after next season. Gotta get a jump on two years from now...now. If we have 3 scholarships then get 2 freshmen and a transfer. And if we are dipping in the protocol then a solid transfer with 2 or more years eligibility with upside would be great. Recruiting isn’t a one year thing. Gotta look ahead. But in the end just get me some shooters.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 8:19 PM, DooleyBull06 said:

This year is the perfect year to bring in at least 2 freshmen. By the time Williams, Mballa, Segu graduate, the incoming frosh  will be sophomores. With a year under their belt. That’s how you build sustained success. You grow players and  when they become good you have more in house to take their place. Example: CJ and company to Graves, Graves to Williams and Segu. All had talent ahead of them...played some as underclassmen then led the team as upperclassmen. Pass the baton. This is the perfect year to bring in freshman with no pressure on them as we have a group of upperclassmen leading the team. Bringing in a transfer senior won’t solve the issues we will have once Jack, Williams, Mballa, Segu and Brewton all graduate after next season. Gotta get a jump on two years from now...now. If we have 3 scholarships then get 2 freshmen and a transfer. And if we are dipping in the protocol then a solid transfer with 2 or more years eligibility with upside would be great. Recruiting isn’t a one year thing. Gotta look ahead. But in the end just get me some shooters.

In theory sounds great. But if you’re a recruiting guru their really is no best way to do it. Oats did well with both freshman and transfers.