Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

2020-21 Schedule

UMass is out of Bubbeville. Would have been nice to play you.

The Massachusetts men's basketball team has paused all team activities following a positive COVID-19 test result among the program's Tier 1 personnel, which consists of coaches, student-athletes, team managers and support staff. Results were detected during COVID-19 surveillance testing, which is conducted three times a week in accordance with NCAA guidelines.

The basketball program is following state, local and University public health guidelines, to ensure the health and safety of all student-athletes, coaches, staff and the greater campus and Amherst communities.

Due to a pause in team activities, UMass will not participate in the Multiple Team Event at Mohegan Sun previously scheduled to start next week. The entire non-conference men's basketball schedule will be announced at a later date.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Gxtrex said:

Buffalo's first game vs Gannon is listed at 4pm on ESPN for next Wednesday.  Will this game be on ESPN+?

Does anyone think they can schedule a game between Bowling Green and Syracuse?  They now have a 14 day gap between games.

The ub website said that the mens and womens games will be on espn+ at 1 and 4 pm.

• Thanks 1

On 11/17/2020 at 11:45 PM, BullBoy said:

It's not that simple.  Those NEC and America East teams want money to go on the road...money that UB doesn't have right now.  You've seen the budget shortfall that the department is in right now.  So the only schools they can afford to bring into Alumni Arena are probably non Division I schools.  

So go on the road and challenge yourself.  I get money will always be an issue, pandemic or not, but these games against non D1 schools just don't do it for me.  In any year, pandemic aside. Glorified exhibition game to tune up and appease the fans.  I rather have the mentality of play anyone, anytime, anywhere.  That does more for a program than playing Gannon or any non D1 school any other year.

At this rate, with the number of programs that are getting shut down, we'll be lucky to get any of these games in. At least we won't have to hear people griping about how awful GG is this season, or how incompetent JW is as a coach (I didn't agree with either of those points, but they were plentiful on here last season). Instead, we can gripe about lost games due to shutdowns or the fact that we can't actually go see the games that are played. I for one, will miss seeing Graves' senior season or Hall/Hemphill's as well, after watching 3 great years of each.

2 hours ago, skrabukes said:

At this rate, with the number of programs that are getting shut down, we'll be lucky to get any of these games in. At least we won't have to hear people griping about how awful GG is this season, or how incompetent JW is as a coach (I didn't agree with either of those points, but they were plentiful on here last season). Instead, we can gripe about lost games due to shutdowns or the fact that we can't actually go see the games that are played. I for one, will miss seeing Graves' senior season or Hall/Hemphill's as well, after watching 3 great years of each.

Hopefully they can change some of the COVID rules to where a team does not have to shut down for weeks. Sad we won’t be able to go see games this year as well

52 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

I still don't understand how the Syracuse game can't be in Buffalo this year. If it was ever going to be at Alumni Arena it is now. Covid means no fans and fans/money was the reason Syracuse won't play in Buffalo. So what happened this year? 

Boeheim does not travel for anything out of conference except for TV money.  UB is probably getting some money for playing there.  Also if it is a choice between being at Syracuse or hosting a low level D-I school which one do you want to play for resume purposes in March?

1 hour ago, MKBullsfan said:

I still don't understand how the Syracuse game can't be in Buffalo this year. If it was ever going to be at Alumni Arena it is now. Covid means no fans and fans/money was the reason Syracuse won't play in Buffalo. So what happened this year? 

Maybe ub is getting paid to go there? That's all I can think of

38 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

Women are playing mercyhurst on Wednesday, could the men find a game for this week? Syracuse just recently scheduled Bryant for friday. No reason why we can’t find another team to play before they head to bubbleville 

It would be nice if we could find a D1 school instead of D2 to play

I know we seemingly have no idea who they're playing this season, but the first month - if it happens - is looking like a gauntlet.  2 games in Bubbleville against TBD opponents who are (at the very least) of UB's calber, if not better.  Then 5 road games at (in no order) WVU, Syracuse, Bona, BG, and Akron.  That's a hell of a start to a season with no tune-up games.

15 minutes ago, UBlearns said:

I know we seemingly have no idea who they're playing this season, but the first month - if it happens - is looking like a gauntlet.  2 games in Bubbleville against TBD opponents who are (at the very least) of UB's calber, if not better.  Then 5 road games at (in no order) WVU, Syracuse, Bona, BG, and Akron.  That's a hell of a start to a season with no tune-up games.

When students eventually leave on break I believe we won’t see as many cancellations. Teams are tested regularly and the players, coaching staff will not have to worry as much about catching the virus from the student body 

1 hour ago, UBlearns said:

I agree - this schedule, barring further cancellations, will be a tough way to begin the season.   @Bowling Green on Dec 6th will be good early gauge as to what we can expect from the team.

2 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Towson&#39;s schedule is now:<br><br>vs. UMass Lowell on Wednesday<br>vs. Stephen F. Austin on Thursday<br>vs. Buffalo on Friday <br><br>All games are scheduled for the afternoon, details to be wrapped up soon. <a href="https://t.co/mTqKTQU5UR">https://t.co/mTqKTQU5UR</a></p>&mdash; Matt Norlander (@MattNorlander) <a href="https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/1331041936006737920?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 24, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

On 11/22/2020 at 7:48 AM, MKBullsfan said:

Syracuse is never playing in Alumni.

You completely misunderstand how these games work.   The game location isn't about ticket sales (though Syracuse makes significantly more from those than UB does).  It is about media.  The home team owns the media rights and the ACC's media deal is worth a ton more money than the MAC's deal.

Furthermore, Boeheim doesn't like to have his team travel.  He knows that you're more likely to lose when you travel.  It upsets the routine.  They rarely travel for any place other than NYC and that is only because they have such a large alumni base there with some major donors.