Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Report: UB Men's Hoops Player Involved in Stabbing

Jeseph

12 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Case adjourned until December 10, 2020.  The case is still in North Tonawanda City Court.  If the Niagara County District Attorney intends to prosecute as a felony, there will have to be an indictment from a grand jury and then the case will move to either Niagara County Court or Niagara County Supreme Court.

So what are the chances he ever plays basketball for us?  Do we get the scholarship back?

17 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Case adjourned until December 10, 2020.  The case is still in North Tonawanda City Court.  If the Niagara County District Attorney intends to prosecute as a felony, there will have to be an indictment from a grand jury and then the case will move to either Niagara County Court or Niagara County Supreme Court.

So what are the chances he ever plays basketball for us?  Do we get the scholarship back?

1 hour ago, Gxtrex said:

I’m 99% sure we will not see him suit up for the team. The case could be dragged out and most likely he will be charged for the stabbing or possession of a weapon. Even in self defense, why would you bring a weapon to a pickup game? I’ve also heard reports that he got into some trouble in Niagara Falls with a woman as well as threatening to shoot up a party

2 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

I’m 99% sure we will not see him suit up for the team. The case could be dragged out and most likely he will be charged for the stabbing or possession of a weapon. Even in self defense, why would you bring a weapon to a pickup game? I’ve also heard reports that he got into some trouble in Niagara Falls with a woman as well as threatening to shoot up a party

I agree.  So are we just out of a scholarship this year then?  Its probably too late at this point to find someone.  And we can fill it next year.

4 minutes ago, Gxtrex said:

I agree.  So are we just out of a scholarship this year then?  Its probably too late at this point to find someone.  And we can fill it next year.

I’m unsure how that works, possibly they can give it to a walk on like Saleh or just hold it for next year

1 hour ago, Dabulls said:

I’m unsure how that works, possibly they can give it to a walk on like Saleh or just hold it for next year

I check out barttorvik.com from time to time and noticed they added Zachery recently for 7 ppg (better late than never) However, didn't impact team rank.  I think there are a few ways to make up for his absence.

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Bill said:

So is Malik off the team officially or no? On the school website he is still on the roster, but with no photo. He continues to post on social media as if he’s on the team as well. Maybe they’ll see after the trial? Anybody know anything? 

Even if charges get dropped, he shouldn’t be a part of the team. I don’t think he’ll get the chance, too much evidence against him. Who brings a knife to a pickup game in the first place 

On 11/24/2020 at 11:44 AM, Erie County said:

It wasn't a knife. 

It's been discussed as a "sharper" piece of broken gym equipment he used to defend himself

Thank you. 

One of the wooden chairs in the gym that had the leg snap off during the fight to be exact. 

On 11/24/2020 at 11:44 AM, Erie County said:

It wasn't a knife. 

It's been discussed as a "sharper" piece of broken gym equipment he used to defend himself

Thanks for letting me/us know! I was thinking it is quite weird to bring a knife to a pick up game. That lessons my beliefs about him a bit, especially if what he said was right in that he was outnumbered in the fight

5 minutes ago, Gxtrex said:

Does that mean he would not be able to play until after that date?

My opinion is I don’t think he can be a part of the team. Any player or coach or any member of the university can’t be in any active role with charges or involvement in actions even close to what occurred. Even with not knowing all that really happened I can not see him being even on campus or a part of the team. Hope Zackery can straighten his life out and he can have people in his circle that can have an influence in his life. Go Bulls!!!

22 minutes ago, John said:

My opinion is I don’t think he can be a part of the team. Any player or coach or any member of the university can’t be in any active role with charges or involvement in actions even close to what occurred. Even with not knowing all that really happened I can not see him being even on campus or a part of the team. Hope Zackery can straighten his life out and he can have people in his circle that can have an influence in his life. Go Bulls!!!

While I don't disagree that his suspension is reasonable, unless cleared, given the accusations... the second half of your post sure sounds like you've drawn a conclusion on what you think happened.

22 hours ago, Jeseph said:

While I don't disagree that his suspension is reasonable, unless cleared, given the accusations... the second half of your post sure sounds like you've drawn a conclusion on what you think happened.

I have drawn my opinions on what has been put in the paper but even if he is cleared that does not make anything about this incident even close to being justified by any of the players. For that all the players should be held accountable for their actions. Time will tell and at some point hope we will get all the facts. Go Bulls!!!!

Is it a good sign (for MZ) that the case is staying in the city courts, and not moving to a county court?  What does the length of time of the adjournment suggest?  Perhaps nothing can be read into either situation.  I’m just not knowledgeable about the system, and a little curious what others think. 

1 hour ago, 121Merrimac said:

Is it a good sign (for MZ) that the case is staying in the city courts, and not moving to a county court?  What does the length of time of the adjournment suggest?  Perhaps nothing can be read into either situation.  I’m just not knowledgeable about the system, and a little curious what others think. 

From other higher profile cases regarding athletes, it always seems like the strategy is delay delay delay charges are dropped. Granted that’s been with millionaires and my sample size is minuscule. I’m hoping that the initial reports were overblown both for the kids sake and the teams.

18 hours ago, Erie County said:
On 12/12/2020 at 11:15 AM, 121Merrimac said:

That's certainly a good sign. The city didn't want any part of it. Most likely meaning less of a case. 

Also don't forget all the witnesses are players on both teams, so it's going to turn into a giant "he said/she said". Generally leads to a dropping situation. 

The fact that it is still in the City of Tonawanda Court means that the Niagara County DA has yet to indict him on a felony, even though he has been charged with a felony.  To prosecute as a felony the case must be moved to either Niagara County Court or Niagara County Supreme Court.  That is good news.

The adjournment until March can also be related to the COVID situation.  Although some courts had reopened many, are "closing" down and there is a backlog for all existing cases in the system.  By closing they are only hearing cases that must be heard, especially initial arraignments after an arrest.  After that preliminary event, cases are being continued while speedy trial requirements have been suspended by the governor.

• Thanks 2