Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Cant State

UB85

Nice to get #2 seed, but a sloppy game over a short handed team.  Need to play better next week.  I am confident they can.

Edit:  Another good night from charity stripe, credit to them improving during the year.

Edited by DocCas86
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, UB85 said:

Thank you Jayvon Graves! I could not help but be very thankful he chose UB over Akron as I watched him walk off the floor in the waning seconds. While he’s struggled at times this season and last he will be forever known as one of UB’s best. Wherever the road ahead takes him I wish him the very best!

His game against Bonaventure was an all timer 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UB85 said:

I just hopped online to get the latest on tonight’s game. To my surprise nothing started yet. So here goes. 

I have it from a reliable source, one who you truly can rely on, UB by 10 tonight. Take it to the bank. Go Bulls!

Your source was pretty close to nailing it. Hope the banks are paying dividends next week!

• Like 1

Can I say this about Graves. I think our frustration with him was that we expected him to dominate. But as this team has grown and found its identity so has Graves. He is our most experienced player. And the younger guys will lean on him for that. But bc of that it doesn’t mean he has to be the go to guy. And I think he has found himself within this team as of late. Look at the numbers, dude is nearly putting up a triple double every night while logging 36 plus minutes per game. It’s the little things that add up to winning a tournament. If he keeps putting up those numbers while defending the opposing teams best guard then I feel good. A lot has been asked of Graves. He is essentially the backup point guard. And he has responded. Without much fan fare. Which I think is something that he is ok with.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, clodney said:

I love all of these self-righteous Whitesell posts acting as though the criticism wasn't warranted after last year's debacle and an 0-7 start against teams with a pulse.

The critcisms are very quick on here when something goes badly, but the praise when things are good are few and far between. That goes for players and coaches. Most of this year, Graves has been considered the new Grant and Whitesell has become Ralph Krueger (or even Freddy Krueger). We all want to win, and in perfect manner every time, but unfortunately athletics doesn't work that way, unless you're the Globetrotters and facing the Generals. In D1 athletics, The other team is made up of good players/coaches and they are trying to win also. Let's just hope our pulse can hold steady for the next week and our guys (and ladies ) can put together a big 3 game stretch.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, clodney said:

I love all of these self-righteous Whitesell posts acting as though the criticism wasn't warranted after last year's debacle and an 0-7 start against teams with a pulse.

If you are referring to mine, I never said the criticism wasn’t warranted, but I’m asking now at the end of the season and the way they finished (and we will see how the tournament goes) where people stand on Whitesell. Has he earned another year or should he be ousted. I just sat yesterday that Donyell Marshall was fired at Central Connecticut. He was 40-104. I sure don’t want that either, but he was a name brand with limited experience. Not unlike Hurley. Luckily Hurley worked out good enough for us and he got the big gig in AZ, but is struggling. We found lightning in a bottle with Oats and he is the real deal based upon his performance at Alabama. Maybe there’s another Oats out there is another Oats out there, but there a lot of people that look good in the interview that don’t do it on the court. If they lose to Miami, then definitely they should consider moving on. Anything else, I give him another year. My main concern is recruiting and who’s the next Bull in. That’s how you sustain the momentum so another year of duds and that may spell his downfall too. We were also pretty fortunate not to be the cause of many cancellations, I believe we were only the cause 1 time this year, so kudos to the payers and coaches for staying vigilant.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Been saying it for a while, when these guys are on the same page, I think their talent exceeds anyone in the MAC. Let’s all just enjoy the ride and hope it continues. We are red hot at the perfect time. 

This pretty much sums it up.  The big 4 are clicking, including Graves having a real hot stretch here, Hardnett making a splash, getting some good bench production, and overall for the most part playing solid defensively.  The talent has always been there, just gotta make it click.  Can't ask for a better time of year to be on a run than right now.  I'm not gonna sit here and predict a conference tournament title, but it's definitely doable (as is, of course, flaming out against Miami like last year).

I hope this doesn't come off as an excuse for the way we played at stretches, but the opposing team sitting their best player isn't always the easiest thing to deal with.

Think about UB practices these past few days.  What were they keying in on and who were they building their game plan around...stopping Danny Pippen.  When he goes out it is almost like you entire game plan does too and now you are coaching the game on the fly.  Matchups are changing and the coaches have to adapt.  So lets give the coaching staff some credit on that front.

As for the team, it is great to see Graves playing his best basketball right now and he seems to finally feel comfortable in his role.  When this team decides to move the ball and get out in transition, there is nobody that can beat us.  This all starts on the defensive end and the defensive performance has only gotten better these last nine games (it honestly wasn't even that bad against Toledo).

I'm pumped for the #2 seed and a defacto East Division Title, even if divisions are no longer a thing.

20 minutes ago, Erie County said:

But, Kreuger has only had a year-and-half too? The difference was he wasnt left talent from a top 10 coach. 

While the top 10 coach part is correct (Oats), I guess that Eichel, Reinhardt, Skinner, Dahlin are talent-less players in your eyes. That top 10 coach also graduated UB's equivalent of Lemieux (CJ), Messier (Perkins), Chelios (Carruthers), Shanahan (Harris) and Mike Ramsey (McRae). The talent that remained was 2 sophomores that played minimal minutes during their freshman year, a senior defensive star, a junior who had always been the 3rd/4th option (who was great at it) 2 transfers who hadn't played for UB yet, a few bench & walk ons, and a recruiting class that was gone. 

The sophomores from above have improved over each of their 2 seasons, the junior from above has been leading the way strongly of late (as the team has beaten 3 top teams in the last 3 games), the recruiting class that was gone has given this team Mballa (a top 10 player in the league who has gotten better each season, Hardnett who has clearly improved over his two seasons, Nickelberry who has gained a solid role of late, Fagan/Brock (the bench players from above) also have a solid role of late.

Yet somehow, the coach that is here has had a 20 win  and now a (defacto) MAC East title (2nd overall) in his 2 regular seasons. Yet several here want him gone. These results are hardly a fire-able offense. Probably would actually be lauded by most.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Does the Whitesell argument need to take over every thread?  Isn't there one thread that we can limit it to?  That way there'd be only one thread that I have to ignore.

Well he keeps insisting on coaching each game so I imagine his name will come up as long as we keep playing 😄