Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Interest List - 2021, 2022, and 2023

Kevin

1 minute ago, DocCas86 said:

It will be interesting to see if any of the current players in the portal are re-recruited or if anyone else enters the portal.  Certainly plenty to keep things interesting as Halcovage assembles the team for upcoming season.

I have a feeling the assistants will be named soon as it will be interesting to see how he populates the team and if Foley, Fox and Fitzpatrick all continue with the team. He probably has access to some kids that may not quite have been ready for Villanova but could  be great gets for UB. The next few weeks should be interesting!

12 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Figured we can use this thread to discuss potential recruits until they split into individual threads with confirmed activity.

The first name that caught my eye is Nigle Cook, a 6'6 shooter from Daytona Beach. Villanova offered him a week ago - looks like they'll have one scholarship available once Cam Whitmore declares. No idea if Halcovage was the lead recruiter on him, but he could sell a much larger opportunity here. FIU from the fall and Wyoming from yesterday are his only other offers per VC, but I wouldn't be shocked to see spring activity pick up as a talented unsigned guy with size.

Interested to hear any ideas and rumors that come up. Filling 5-8 spots on a roster with a high-major recruiter at the helm, this is kind of like Christmas for a recruiting junkie.

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/nigle-cook

Another 2023 name I hope Halcovage and staff look into is Jayden Reid, 5'11 PG from Long Island Lutheran (the #2 ranked HS after Montverde). He's a classic NYC scoring lead guard ranked top-200, but size may have kept the big boys away from signing him. Villanova has been recruiting his top-50 2024 teammate VJ Edgecombe, so I imagine Coach knows his way around the program well. His offers are all over the place, but Northern Illinois and Eastern Michigan offered in February so we won't be getting outclassed necessarily. Bona, VCU, and Hofstra offers are hanging around from last year.

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/jayden-reid

https://247sports.com/Player/Jayden-Reid-46115486/

Just brainstorming some transfer ideas:

Trey Patterson (Villanova) - 6'9 PF from NJ with two years left. Former 2021 top-50 recruit has never found his game in college. Played just 10% of minutes this year with no real statistical impact. Could be interested in minutes and a change of scenery with his old assistant coach, but seems like he would be a reclamation project even at the MAC level.

Elijah Hutchins-Everett (Austin Peay) - 6'11 C from NJ with two years left. Former 2021 3-4 star recruit was the OVC FOTY and followed with a good SO season. Recently-fired HC Nate James flipped him from a Penn State commitment, but Villanova offered him and was involved early. I imagine Halcovage has some relationship with him. The new HC at Peay has kept him out of the portal to this point, but it remains to be seen if he buys in there.

Greg Dolan (Cornell) - 6'3 G from Buffalo with one year left. He's obviously been discussed before, but he fits a potential Villanova-style scheme here perfectly now. He's a career 42% shooter from three, averaged 2.8 steals/game in his three years, never fouls, and had a better offensive rating that Curtis Jones this year. Slam dunk addition that checks all the boxes for us transitioning to a new system year one.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Haha my second cousin. Resisted posting it because I need to recuse myself. Would obviously be crazy but I imagine he lands at Georgetown or a big-centric P5 like Kansas. 

We can do one of those deals where we get you an assistant coaching gig if you get him to come. We have a few openings

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trueblue32 said:

We can do one of those deals where we get you an assistant coaching gig if you get him to come. We have a few openings

Haha hey I just nerd out on this stuff for some reason. I'll be the director of internet scouting if you take director of floor spacing.

• Haha 2

On 3/31/2023 at 4:20 PM, MuchMany said:

Just brainstorming some transfer ideas:

Trey Patterson (Villanova) - 6'9 PF from NJ with two years left. Former 2021 top-50 recruit has never found his game in college. Played just 10% of minutes this year with no real statistical impact. Could be interested in minutes and a change of scenery with his old assistant coach, but seems like he would be a reclamation project even at the MAC level.

I hope you had no issues with the number of players who followed Coach Jack to Syracuse, making this suggestion.

23 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

I hope you had no issues with the number of players who followed Coach Jack to Syracuse, making this suggestion.

Did you read the post? If so, and you still think that bringing along the sixth guy off their bench who needs a change of scenery is comparable to Cuse swiping a handful of stars from our ladies' team, then I don't know what to tell you. 

11 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

What about any guys nova was just "interested" in or maybe given a non committal offer that could be interested in UB 

This. I have a feeling he’s got plenty of players in mind that didn’t work out for ‘Nova that could fill some holes in building a first year roster. If he was as involved with their recruiting as it sounds I think he has an advantage over some other guys who are making the jump to HC given the caliber of program he is coming from.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Did you read the post? If so, and you still think that bringing along the sixth guy off their bench who needs a change of scenery is comparable to Cuse swiping a handful of stars from our ladies' team, then I don't know what to tell you. 

Basketball is basketball.

Raiding a roster is raiding a roster.

31 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

This kid seemingly entered the portal because it wasn’t working out for him at Villanova. Are you speculating that he is left with the intention to follow his coach to a program of higher profile. If not, they’re not the same thing and this wouldn’t be “roster raiding”. That being said, players can do whatever they want within the rules.

1 hour ago, BrooklynBull said:

Well, I completely disagree. A guy who averaged 6 minutes per game, is completely buried on a roster, and is likely considering a transfer regardless of any interest from UB is not "raiding" in any sense. 

Honestly, I don't care if UB somehow manages to raid a roster (which isn't what's happening here anyway).  Don't care that FLJ did it with the women's team when she went to Syracuse, don't care if it happens now.  I want the athletes to have the agency to play wherever they choose.  If that means following a coach to a different school, so be it.

• Like 3

Jaden Bradley, Fr from Alabama, is in the portal.  

He is from Rochester and also was with those other two players during the murder of that woman on the Strip.  

Do you think he will be persona non gratis, or will some place have interest?   Would UB have interest?

11 minutes ago, UB92 said:

He is from Rochester and also was with those other two players during the murder of that woman on the Strip.  

Do you think he will be persona non gratis, or will some place have interest?   Would UB have interest?

According to Alabama, nothing happened, so he should be clean. Probably good for him to get a fresh start and if he's local, it may be a good option if there is mutual interest. 

1 hour ago, UB92 said:

I'm rooting for it, but Bradley coming to UB would be a stunner - he was a top 20 recruit nationally and has only lost a bit of luster since then. I know he still reps Rochester even though he finished high school in NC. If Halcovage can convince Bradley that he'll develop him the same way he did Jalen Brunson, he'll have earned a raise after week one. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

I'm rooting for it, but Bradley coming to UB would be a stunner - he was a top 20 recruit nationally and has only lost a bit of luster since then. I know he still reps Rochester even though he finished high school in NC. If Halcovage can convince Bradley that he'll develop him the same way he did Jalen Brunson, he'll have earned a raise after week one. 

I wouldn't touch anything close to this murder. Let's start this new era off with a very clean slate and no hints of stink. 

• Like 1