Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Bowling Green at Buffalo moved from 1/8 to 1/5 @ 7 PM

Eagle66

Curtis jones continuing to develop is great to watch. Excellent game by him tonight

Skogman another player that stood out, gained confidence as the game went a long and it showed

Only saw a couple bad shots taken (made or missed) which was nice to see and made the game enjoyable to watch

Defensively still a work in progress. I will say it seems like teams make crazy unrealistic shots a lot against ub for some reason, even against good defense

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Appreciate him gutting it out but if he’s hurt he should focus on getting healthy. 

He only played like 3 minutes. Considering we only suited up one other forward, it was a heck of an attempt. I'm not sure when he got hurt, whether he entered with an injury or sustained in during the game. He was walking like frankenstein. I felt bad for him seeing him so stiff.

I love that winning feeling.  Tonight I really appreciated how this roster had to dig deep to get some key contributions, and how physical the MAC league games can get.  A lot of Bulls stepped up tonight.  From the looks of it, the coaches had them ready - foul shooting and rebounding.  They shot 33 for 35 from the line, which for them is incredible.  They outrebounded a team that had size advantage AND with Mballa out.  Great job by the players and coaches there.  The defense is still a work in progress - there are times they do a good job of boxing out and forcing bad shots, and they worked hard to bat balls around and keep them in play.  Giving up 88 is not going to put you in a lot of winning situations, but tonight they did enough other things right.  They kept enough focus down the stretch and didn't let this one get away.

Skogman - I say this every time, he's the guy on the team with the most potential to be more than he already is.  He had some tough matchups today but gained confidence as it went on.  In the second half he was sucking in defenders and it opened up shots outside and cuts up the lane for others.  A couple nice hook shots too.  The thing for him is to keep playing confident and gain consistency.
Jones - another guy who really stepped up and showed growing confidence.  We've talked about how this team lacks defensive intensity, and here was a guy willing to try to take a charge.  
Segu - continues to be too quick for people off the dribble to the basket, that's his bread and butter play.
Perry - some tough rebounds and put away his foul shots
Hardnett - would've been a big opportunity for him today but it sounds like he was hurt.
Williams - had a couple usual slick buckets but like Brewton, there are times I wish he'd play harder.
Jack - had a dagger three pointer at the end that put to rest any thoughts of a comeback by BG

BG - they had some big dudes, but didn't manage to get Skogman in foul trouble.  That would've made this game very difficult.  Usually playing physical and sending UB to the line a lot works, but not today.  I thought that O'Neal guy was a handful but he didn't play much.

I don't usually want to say things about the officiating, but that was some classic MAC reffing there.  I don't even know what actually constitutes enough for a travelling violation anymore.

Crowd - I mean, it was a rescheduled game, on a night with a winter weather warning, during winter break.  You get what you get.  I'll appreciate the people who were there tonight rather than the ones who had good reasons not to be.

They'll need to play better defense going forward, but I like how they competed tonight, I liked the focus down the stretch, I liked how they seemed to address some issues and show concrete improvements today.

1 hour ago, skrabukes said:

Hardnett is clearly hurt. Dude could barely walk out there.

This is accurate. I was told prior to the season not to expect him to have a big year because he was dealing with nagging injuries. I don’t have any specific details but it seems whatever he’s dealing with is having a significant impact on his performance and playing time.

2 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

This is accurate. I was told prior to the season not to expect him to have a big year because he was dealing with nagging injuries. I don’t have any specific details but it seems whatever he’s dealing with is having a significant impact on his performance and playing time.

Provided Mballa, Fagan and Brock get back, are Hardnett’s injuries something that can heal with time off in season?

7 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Provided Mballa, Fagan and Brock get back, are Hardnett’s injuries something that can heal with time off in season?

I wish I had more information. I’m not sure the specific details of what Hardnett is dealing with. Was told that it was going to be a difficult season for him and that he probably wasn’t going to have a significant role early in the year. We’re now starting conference play and not much has changed in regards to his play on the court. I’m hoping things get better but I don’t have any new details at this moment.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger
  • Like 1

Just now, bulls2684 said:

Thorpe said on the post game show they each shot 100 FTs in practice this week

I knew we had some insiders on here...

Obviously they shoot FTs every practice, but sometimes a concerted effort to reset and focus can make a difference.

On another note, Curtis Jones looked like a completely different player tonight. Like literally. Handle was way tighter, decisions were all in rhythm and sound, shot looked great, active on help defense and the boards. If he can let Rondo play off the ball for 8-12 minute per night and look for his shot, our bench scoring picture changes completely. Not surprisingly, he looked like he was having a blast tonight.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MuchMany said:

On another note, Curtis Jones looked like a completely different player tonight. Like literally. Handle was way tighter, decisions were all in rhythm and sound, shot looked great, active on help defense and the boards.

Yeah he looks more to me like an off-ball guard.  He struggles to get by defenders off the bounce at this point, but as a secondary ball handler and shooter he's solid, and the short bench forced him to play there more.

I'm concerned if he's our starting PG next year, but I like him overall as a player with all 4 years of eligibility remaining for us.  Between he and Skogman we got 31 points from guys who are still freshmen eligibility wise which is encouraging for the long term

• Like 2

13 hours ago, skrabukes said:

F yeah. So happy for these guys, players, coaches, all of them. Playing a D 1 game with 1 forward, played their butts off, made free throws, team defense, team offense, energized bench and coaches. Most enjoyable game watched in a long time. 

Agree. Credit to the coaching staff for the game plan and finally putting Skogman in positions both down low and on the perimeter and putting pressure on BG to defend both. Definitely more energy on both ends of the floor hope the coaches can get the team to play better team defense. Still concerning with both Brewton and Jack’s 3 point shooting. Finally Brewton finally had  some some drives and shots in close to the basket. I said it was time for some of our other players to step up and amazing what happens when adversity strikes. Two key points in the game were we won the rebounding battle against a top rebounding team in BG and of course the free throw shooting of 33-35 at 94% that is acknowledged nationally. Just a great team win. Go Bulls!!!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

That is a wild stat to hold in over a decade of NCAA games. I like high water marks like this as indicators of big-time potential.

It was a great game, not taking anything away from DS but this is an incredibly specific statistic lol

46 minutes ago, BasketBull said:

Definitely heartening to see such promising games from Skogman and Jones, two guys who we absolutely need production from for the rest of the year if we are going to do anything in the MAC.

Hopefully this help Williams and Segu relax. Feels like they have been trying to force things instead of letting the game come to them and missing Mballa and with Jack being off on his shots, it's worse. If we can get production from Skogman and Jones it should free up those guys for better shot options. Seeing double teams of Skogman and getting a couple nice kick-out assists was awesome. I am hopefully this is the first step towards a solid MAC season.

1 hour ago, Jeseph said:

It was a great game, not taking anything away from DS but this is an incredibly specific statistic lol

I mean, any counting stat threshold record is arbitrary and specific. But 350 teams playing 30 games each season for 11.5 seasons equals around 120,000 opportunities for another player to have had 20+ and 15+ on perfect shooting. It's an even more astonishing game when you see the math imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaBulls99 said:

Loved the game from DS. But he can’t be our option down low defensively next year. He got thrown around like a rag doll. 

You have to wonder if there was ever any emphasis on defense when he was playing, On a positive note with his size he should be able to rebound on both ends of the floor as long as he is playing more down low, Go Bulls!!!

1 hour ago, Erie County said:

why was this game moved up and then not one put on saturday? they killed the crowd and moved it up for no reason, now they have a break anyways until next week.

Both Bowling Green and UB games that were scheduled for Tuesday were postponed due to Covid. With other games in the MAC postponed I think the MAC was just trying to get some open dates for teams and try to stay ahead of any other Covid postponements. This could be happening during the entire year. This appears like a roller coaster that we are not going to get off anytime soon. Go Bulls!!!!