Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

1 minute ago, DooleyBull06 said:

For perspective, this was a few years ago but it’s a good reference…

https://watchstadium.com/mac-college-basketball-coaches-rank-the-best-jobs-in-the-conference-01-10-2019/

Good read. Finishing 11th of 12 in "recruiting base" shows a lack of imagination when we're a 60 minute drive from the 6th largest metro in North America. 1st of 12 in "game atmosphere" is definitely no longer the case.

15 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Good read. Finishing 11th of 12 in "recruiting base" shows a lack of imagination when we're a 60 minute drive from the 6th largest metro in North America. 1st of 12 in "game atmosphere" is definitely no longer the case.

The recruiting picked up at the end of Oats stint but it’s definitely something we need to improve. Get NYC players. From Buffalo we have access to Detroit, Chicago, Philly and the DMV. We must establish those roots.

When we are winning Alumni is undoubtedly rocking. I just don’t think Whitesell had the personality or energy that fans gravitated to. 

But in general I would like to be at the top of these categories within our conference. The few names we have been linked to are already creating buzz. Hopefully it’s just the start.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

Looks like we will also need assistant’s. in the recruiting board a member posted that Quarles twitter says “former buffalo assistant”. Foleys also says the same thing. So alnutt is all in in changing everything 

If I remember correctly, Foley was brought is as an add on for one of our JUCO recruiting bases if I'm not mistaken. Not a surprise he will be moving on. I would assume the new guy would want to bring his staff with him, except maybe keeping some of the operations people for some level of continuity and understanding how UBs athletic department works.

Rick Pitino to St John’s basketball this is who should have been hired by UB Bulls basketball. We’re not a big one ridiculous Rick Pitino would have gotten UB Bulls basketball to the NCAA’s. Instead of cheap training wheels maybe UB Bulls basketball coach the former UB Bulls basketball team manager over proven basketball head coach ridiculous. UB will probably over pay the former UB team manager and give whatever his lawyer wants long term contract fail. Don’t tell me New York City cares about UB they don’t in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up

23 minutes ago, UB Horns Up said:

Rick Pitino to St John’s basketball this is who should have been hired by UB Bulls basketball. We’re not a big one ridiculous Rick Pitino would have gotten UB Bulls basketball to the NCAA’s. Instead of cheap training wheels maybe UB Bulls basketball coach the former UB Bulls basketball team manager over proven basketball head coach ridiculous. UB will probably over pay the former UB team manager and give whatever his lawyer wants long term contract fail. Don’t tell me New York City cares about UB they don’t in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Hate to break it to you, but St. John’s is a better job that UB. Pitino chooses them over us every time.

4 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

I will pass on a 70 year old with sex and recruiting scandals in the past.  He has had NCAA issues and violations at Hawai'i, and a vacated national title at Louisville.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

Iona’s a big job but UB’s not?

“Other big positions are still open, including California, Providence, Iona, Temple and Texas Tech.”

3 hours ago, yussi1870 said:

Iona’s a big job but UB’s not?

“Other big positions are still open, including California, Providence, Iona, Temple and Texas Tech.”

Iona is a better job at this moment yes. Rich history winning wise. Funds. In the NYC market. Easier conference to dominate. Not picking a fight but it is. Of those jobs listed we probably come in last.

7 hours ago, 315716hoops said:

Kenya Hunter Indiana University Associate Head Coach??

has this name been floated or is this just speculation? This may be the name I'd be least excited to see attached to this job. Sure he has a long history of being at some big programs but it seems like every step of the way those programs seemed to have some pretty ho-hum years while he was there. Stints at Xavier and Georgetown seemed to produce the best results, but we're taking 15+ years ago at this point.

Duquesne 1998-2000

NC State (DBO) 2001

Xavier 2004

Georgetown 2007

Nebraska 2014

UConn 2018

Indiana 2020

7 hours ago, 315716hoops said:

Kenya Hunter Indiana University Associate Head Coach??

Is this a scoop or a suggestion? First post, Syracuse and Buffalo area codes, 1am. I'm intrigued. 😅 🤨

Maybe he could bring in Ohio's second best player - his son - as a transfer. 

49 minutes ago, BasketBull said:

has this name been floated or is this just speculation? This may be the name I'd be least excited to see attached to this job. Sure he has a long history of being at some big programs but it seems like every step of the way those programs seemed to have some pretty ho-hum years while he was there. Stints at Xavier and Georgetown seemed to produce the best results, but we're taking 15+ years ago at this point.

Duquesne 1998-2000

NC State (DBO) 2001

Xavier 2004

Georgetown 2007

Nebraska 2014

UConn 2018

Indiana 2020

Indiana is having a bit of a resurgence, might be an option. I'm still on the Cohen bandwagon if he wants it.

22 hours ago, Dabulls said:

I dont really believe that we would be settling for Washington. He’s got a really great track record. He’s an incredible recruiter, had great team success at Michigan and is heavily involved in elevating the position of black coaches in basketball (much like Quarles). I’m more of a fan of Cohen due to the fact that he’s from WNY and could have his team more heavily involved in the community. Both are pretty good choices for the HC gig

I get nervous when being a local guy is a major selling point. It's great that someone is from WNY but that won't mean anything if he can't build a winner.

17 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

Get real.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

I get nervous when being a local guy is a major selling point. It's great that someone is from WNY but that won't mean anything if he can't build a winner.

I think "major selling point" is an overstatement. It's a secondary factor and a compelling one. He was on the NABC 30 under 30 list and has been a D1 assistant for half his life. We're not hiring a local HS coach like Starling Bryant here.

Any reason to think he can't build a winner here (other than the fact that none of us can predict the future)?