Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

49 minutes ago, clodney said:

Funny that we're talking about Zid posting his dunks on social media after losses and 2 years ago we were talking about Graves doing the same thing. Sounds like the hallmark of the Whitesell era. Loads of talent but no discipline or team mentality - a stark contrast to what Oats built.

The big losses and posting of Segu's personal highlight reel on Instagram too. 

1 hour ago, ukbro00 said:

Yeah, Oats really builds team culture. If your teammate asks you to drive your gun over to you at 1am knowing that you've been drinking, you should 100% do it, because that's what Coach would want. 🙂

Whitesell wasn't exactly an alter boy there as well given that one of our players stabbed a rival in his 2nd year as coach. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ub2019 said:

Interesting video. Does anyone know what UB’s collective/NIL looks like compared to the rest of the MAC and mid-majors?

It's really only a factor at the bigger schools. You can actually argue that it hurts more than it helps, if donor money shifts from Program to Player. Unless more money enters the system (NIL + School), the facilities will ultimately be affected negatively. 

I'd much rather keep investing in the school and in the facilities than to give an 18 year old kid $50,000 to sign.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ub2019 said:

Interesting video. Does anyone know what UB’s collective/NIL looks like compared to the rest of the MAC and mid-majors?

I don't know if UB currently has one but Ohio launched their NIL program last May:

https://ohiobobcats.com/news/2022/5/24/general-ohio-athletics-unveils-the-ohio-nil-exchange-to-public.aspx

Here's an idea of how it operates:

https://dash.inflcr.com/exchange/ohio-university

6 hours ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Wouldn't this be how UB is trying to help their student athletes acquire NIL deals? They have a Built In Buffalo NIL student request form.

https://ubbulls.com/sb_output.aspx?form=22

Yes, you are correct. But it’s not a collective, at least I don’t think. It’s a way to help connect athletes and businesses. Collectives literally pay kids.

12 minutes ago, ukbro00 said:

Is it possible that Washington, Cohen, and Hodgson have all turned it down, so now it's Plan D? Just seems like a low level candidate considering the other choices 

I'm still holding out hope we are waiting for Xavier's exit from the tourney. Washington is done, so I would have thought he could be announced by now. FDU coach went straight to Iona from the team bus I think 🤣

34 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

What's the report on Mennenga? He's been part of a big time program that has landed tons of talent over the years, but I don't know much about him individually. 

People have brought up how they don't care about local ties and worry that would be a bigger factor in the coaching decision than it should be. In my opinion Mennenga is the example of overweighing local connections.

He's stuck it out in Oregon for a good amount of time and they've had some good teams and recruiting classes but AFAIK he's not their lead recruiter (I think his primary benefit would be his Canadian recruiting). His career is littered with quick stops at mediocre to downright bad years for multiple programs (Canisius under Barron who only won with son Jimmy, a quick stop in 2010 at UIC, one year at Providence under Keno Davis in 09-10, 1 year at Iowa State 05-06). I'm done with Reggie Witherspoon connected coaches (sorry Turner), and Mike Mennenga was a name suposedly under consideration before Whitesell was hired in 2019. Since then he's been connected to openings to smaller programs than Buffalo and has been passed on.

It would be a really underwhelming hire when compared to the resumes of the others under consideration. Hell I would take Mike Anderson before I would take Mennenga. I would take Kenya Hunter over Mennenga. I don't know there's a name that's been thrown out that I wouldn't take over Mennenga.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BasketBull said:

People have brought up how they don't care about local ties and worry that would be a bigger factor in the coaching decision than it should be. In my opinion Mennenga is the example of overweighing local connections.

He's stuck it out in Oregon for a good amount of time and they've had some good teams and recruiting classes but AFAIK he's not their lead recruiter (I think his primary benefit would be his Canadian recruiting). His career is littered with quick stops at mediocre to downright bad years for multiple programs (Canisius under Barron who only won with son Jimmy, a quick stop in 2010 at UIC, one year at Providence under Keno Davis in 09-10, 1 year at Iowa State 05-06). I'm done with Reggie Witherspoon connected coaches (sorry Turner), and Mike Mennenga was a name suposedly under consideration before Whitesell was hired in 2019. Since then he's been connected to openings to smaller programs than Buffalo and has been passed on.

It would be a really underwhelming hire when compared to the resumes of the others under consideration. Hell I would take Mike Anderson before I would take Mennenga. I would take Kenya Hunter over Mennenga. I don't know there's a name that's been thrown out that I wouldn't take over Mennenga.

Thanks for the insight. He doesn't sound like the most inspiring option, but I still prefer him to an older retread. I also don't trust that Coaching Changes Twitter account much. They're kind of a tabloid-y rumor mill, not allowing comments, etc.

I don't love hearing that he's been up for some lesser jobs in the past few years and passed over. Do you remember any off hand? But I also don't know that it's fair to knock him for bouncing around a few programs building his resumé 10-15 years ago. 

I'm a sucker for the idea of opening the Canadian talent pipeline, so I'll be higher than most on him for that reason alone. It's the most accessible way to upgrade our talent level on a consistent basis. I think Mennenga recruited Quebecer Chris Boucher to Oregon.

Coming from Oregon, I imagine he has a good handle on cutting-edge NIL processes, which can only help.