Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

12 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

No matter how you cut it we're clearly not a program that is able to go out and get the guy they want. 2 hires in a row and we're targeting 2nd, 3rd choices late.

It does feel that way, but aside from McCollum,we have no idea who has actually been involved or interested. All the other names we've discussed have resulted from speculation and connecting dots. 

10 minutes ago, BasketBull said:

sounds like this could quickly turn disastrous.

Sorry, but this is hyperbolic. The guy is young, extremely well-respected in coaching circles, and we might not even land him if his other option is the bench of the best team in the NBA.

A few of us have done a nice job selling the pros of Cohen and McCollum, but it's not like those two are the only ones who can take us to the promised land and anyone else is unworthy.

9 minutes ago, BasketBull said:

sounds like this could quickly turn disastrous.

Quickly is not the right word.  

It would appear that the target guys for the AD (the ones he had on his short list) didn’t work out for some reason (perhaps the same reasons as last time) and we are now looking at those who are more eager to leave their current situation (rather than wait for the “right fit”).  

You would have to be an expert contortionist (and we have a few on this board) to look at what happened last time and what is perceived to be happening now, and conclude anything other than “very disappointing” at the moment.  The likelihood of an attractive, inspired hire at this point is pretty low.  

2 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

I will say that on the initial look at Calhoun I was very concerned but diving deeper you can see positives 

Stare long enough at anything and you can find things you like.  Heck, I am sure someone is working on tables and charts right now to compare how YSU has an 8% improved game flow in conference road games compared to similar conferences during the last three years, except for the COVID year.  

Hodgson, Washington, Cohen, McCollum. All have likely turned the job down (or weren't officially offered). 

Not really sure what happened with Kenya Hunter, seemed to be in for a short time, but nothing since.

Now on to Calhoun, a very well respected coach in a bad situation. Is he better than the others? I hope so. 

3 minutes ago, UB92 said:

Quickly is not the right word.  

It would appear that the target guys for the AD (the ones he had on his short list) didn’t work out for some reason (perhaps the same reasons as last time) and we are now looking at those who are more eager to leave their current situation (rather than wait for the “right fit”).  

You would have to be an expert contortionist (and we have a few on this board) to look at what happened last time and what is perceived to be happening now, and conclude anything other than “very disappointing” at the moment.  The likelihood of an attractive, inspired hire at this point is pretty low.  

Complete guesses

1. Bring Reggie back

2. Sean Smiley - DII coach at Ferdonia.

3.  Sweet Home High Schools coach. 

4. Quarles

5. Bohiem is unemployed.

6. Tell Lebron he can coach the team and his kid can play here. 

7. Patrick Ewing

9 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

I will say that on the initial look at Calhoun I was very concerned but diving deeper you can see positives 

4 minutes ago, UB92 said:

Stare long enough at anything and you can find things you like.  Heck, I am sure someone is working on tables and charts right now to compare how YSU has an 8% improved game flow in conference road games compared to similar conferences during the last three years, except for the COVID year.  

I actually had the opposite effect. Initial look got me really impressed. Basketball experts speak very highly of him. 

Diving into his teams stats, made me think he had a fluke year. 

28 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

No matter how you cut it we're clearly not a program that is able to go out and get the guy they want. 2 hires in a row and we're targeting 2nd, 3rd choices late.

The only thing that really changed in those last 2 hires was the person doing the hiring.

9 minutes ago, rma said:

I thought Cohen was going to take the job if offered? What happened?

Associate Head Coaches at that level can make just as much money, if not more than mid-major head coaches.  He may have used this job as a bargaining tool.

He wouldn't be the first to do that

I cannot express how disappointing this is.  Our momentum is gone!  We don't pay enough and we cannot attract the coaches we want to the program.  This is a really sad day for our program.  As a fan I am so sad about the status of this program.   We give Whitesell an extension, then pay a fee to get him out of Town and then we cannot hire the candidates we covet.  This program is clearly not at the level we as fans had hoped it had become.  I am honestly crushed with this news.  I would have loved to have either Cohen or McCollem.    

In order to attract someone to coach here, there clearly needs to be a connection to our program or they need to be so far removed from coaching that they see it as an opportunity they cannot pass up.

At this point I would make the following calls to offer a potential coaching position and gauge their interest:

CJ Massinburg

Wes Clark

Turner Battle

These type of options would likely consider this an opportunity and would likely stay longer if they were to be hired here because of their history here.

if none of them are interested.  I would start with former NBA players looking to get into coaching:

Brian Scalabrine

Derek Fisher

These type of options would instantly boost recruiting.

This is such a disappointing day for our beloved program.  I hope Admin can find a suitable option.  At this point turn  over every stone and look into every option possible.  This hire is critical! 

Alnutt deserves a lot of heat for the last 4 years of UB MBB. Ruined all momentum we had from Hurley/Oats. Not sure if it is enough to put him on the hot seat with Football and WBB on the right track, but overall have not been thrilled with his tenure. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ub2019 said:

Alnutt deserves a lot of heat for the last 4 years of UB MBB. Ruined all momentum we had from Hurley/Oats. Not sure if it is enough to put him on the hot seat with Football and WBB on the right track, but overall have not been thrilled with his tenure. 

Hope he just leaves on his own, but he is so bad.