Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

48 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

I know him and like him as a person and am a donor.  My answer is no.  I would not want anyone associated in any with Alabama basketball this season.  If Alabama was in the middle of the pack of the SEC this year, I think they would have cleaned house already.  The only reason they did not is because they have a shot to win it all.  As time goes on the fallout could go from the president, to the AD to the entire staff.  Think Binghamton.  They had their scandal with a crime and all those people lost their jobs.

14 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Pros for Hodgson: Donor enthusiasm and dollars. NIL boost. Great for recruiting. You hope through the controversy at bama this season that he’s gained wisdom and perspective. Is his history that egregious that we don’t want him? 

I will say, Oats has obviously handled the press conferences terribly, but the decision to play Miller is above Oats' head and certainly above Hodgson's head. When the story broke the first person to say Miller would play was the AD. There is no school with more money to toss a coach aside that compromises the school's (legit) shot at their first national championship. If you think Oats should sacrifice his job on moral grounds and bench Miller, your standards are not grounded in any reality. Hodgson hasn't even made the public remarks that Oats has. I'm not sure why we would exclude Hodgson from a search because of this situation

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Pros for Hodgson: Donor enthusiasm and dollars. NIL boost. Great for recruiting. You hope through the controversy at bama this season that he’s gained wisdom and perspective. Is his history that egregious that we don’t want him? 

Biggest pro in my opinion is that he really wanted the job. To the point he may or may not have made terrible/inexperienced decisions to try and get said job 

• Like 1

One of the biggest knocks on BH when he was here is he literally did no coaching. Like zero. He recruited at a very high level, but he was not involved with any strategy or really even at practices bc he was on the road. Say what you want “he can get guys”, but a head coach has to do so much for strategy, motivation, using timeouts, player rotation and managing the game, etc. I don’t know what his role at Bama has included, but his skill set last time was no where close to head coach material. That’s all beyond what I heard about his maturity level (at the time) to be the face of the program. I have no opinion on BH because I don’t what what he’s done at Bama to potentially grow his skill set. But there were a lot of reasons last time not to make the hire (besides the players actively campaigning for JW). 

One big factor is how seriously the university will take this opportunity. Not ADMA, the university. We can’t nickel and dime this. 

Edited by DaBulls99
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, xDerekRx said:

For those reasons I do like him as an option and a hire. It would be fun to see what he could do here as a head of the program.

Was there any bad blood between him and the school from his "interview" before he followed Nate?

If he turns out to be a crappy head coach, since a lot of good assistants and recruiters don't make head coaches, how long a leash does he get since everyone seems to be infatuated with him? I'm more in the camp of a guy like a Becky Burke men's that has had some success as a head coach. Remember Oats was a very successful head coach, even if was in HS. He was a championship level coach. I am more in favor of that kind of resume than just a recruiter.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Oats signed a new contract ten days or so before going to Alabama.  So the "new contract" is meaningless.

I think he meant the buyout might put him out of range. When you salary goes up a factor of 8x those teams can cover buyouts 

12 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Then why was he was wearing Alabama gear while still an employee of UB?

I would put that under the terrible decisions section of my comment

He should have never gotten on the plane to Tuscaloosa like Nate refused the plane ride to Arizona st with hurley 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

I would put that under the terrible decisions section of my comment

He should have never gotten on the plane to Tuscaloosa like Nate refused the plane ride to Arizona st with hurley 

If you actually wanted the job, you don’t get on the plane. He acted like an immature assistant and was treated as such. If I had an interview with someone and showed up in a competitors gear I would question their desire for my position. Similar to the NFL, even great assistants don’t always translate to success in the big chair. It is a much different position that being the buddies of the players.

Edited by UBinMD
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, UBinMD said:

If you actually wanted the job, you don’t get on the plane. He acted like an immature assistant and was treated as such. If I had an interview with someone and showed up in a competitors gear I would question their desire for my position. Similar to the NFL, even great assistants don’t always translate to success in the big chair. It is a much different position that being the buddies of the players.

Just asking this as a question…are people not allowed to make a mistake and mature from it? Or is he just gonna be disregarded bc of that? As some have said, maybe he’s matured and gain wisdom and hindsight. Especially seeing what a cluster F of media relations that was in Bama this season.

17 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Just asking this as a question…are people not allowed to make a mistake and mature from it? Or is he just gonna be disregarded bc of that? As some have said, maybe he’s matured and gain wisdom and hindsight. Especially seeing what a cluster F of media relations that was in Bama this season.

A good question, here are my personal thoughts and the AD has not asked my opinion: 😂

1. People should almost always get a second chance, I have gotten many myself, but very rarely back where the mistake was made

2. I personally would like to see a fresh start, a Hodgson hire feels like a retread. It's like saying a mistake was made, so we are going to go back 4 years and hire the other guy. Don't love that.

3. He has been an assistant for close to 10 years, the last 4 at an SEC school. No HC chances? Did he get calls and not want to go? It seems like if you want to be a HC and a D1 opportunity arises, you take it and start the journey.

4. I hear a lot about the TBT, but he wasn't the HC there, why? Too busy with Alabama? I would have like to see some sideline action. If that's the criteria why not hire the actual TBT HC?

5. He feels like a guy who is good talking the talk to the guys, hyping them up getting them into the fold and then moves on. Like a GM. There are a lot of good GMs I would not want being my HC.

6. I could be wrong, but is there at Oats coaching tree yet? Who's the next guy?

I could be completely in left field and wrong, but those are the things floating in my head on this particular option. I had barely heard of Becky Burke, but once I found out about her trajectory, I was all in on her potential. She started at the lowest of low and has proven herself time and again in very short periods of time. I would like to see someone like that.

Edited by UBinMD

9 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Of the names mentioned. In no order, we should be hot on Speedy Claxton, Adam Cohen, Hodgson and Dunleavy. Perhaps poke around GMac and Paulus. 

Hofstra has a history of their head coaches going to the Big East or other major conferences.

3 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

A good question, here are my personal thoughts and the AD has not asked my opinion: 😂

1. People should almost always get a second chance, I have gotten many myself, but very rarely back where the mistake was made

2. I personally would like to see a fresh start, a Hodgson hire feels like a retread. It's like saying a mistake was made, so we are going to go back 4 years and hire the other guy. Don't love that.

3. He has been an assistant for close to 10 years, the last 4 at an SEC school. No HC chances? Did he get calls and not want to go? It seems like if you want to be a HC and a D1 opportunity arises, you take it and start the journey.

4. I hear a lot about the TBT, but he wasn't the HC there, why? Too busy with Alabama? I would have like to see some sideline action. If that's the criteria why not hire the actual TBT HC?

5. He feels like a guy who is good talking the talk to the guys, hyping them up getting them into the fold and then moves on. Like a GM. There are a lot of good GMs I would not want being my HC.

6. I could be wrong, but is there at Oats coaching tree yet? Who's the next guy?

I could be completely in left field and wrong, but those are the things floating in my head on this particular option. I had barely heard of Becky Burke, but once I found out about her trajectory, I was all in on her potential. She started at the lowest of low and has proven herself time and again in very short periods of time. I would like to see someone like that.

Thank you for answering. And I see no flaws in your reasoning. Valid points. Especially points 2, 3 and 5. Those above him wearing a bama shirt are valid reasons as to why we should look elsewhere. No doubt Hodgson comes with baggage. But if donors are fronting 500k to boot Whitesell, they may get their wish here?