Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

10 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

100% Correct. But the best class we’ve ever had is coming in and there was a remarkable coaching job done, under the circumstances (team played very hard, competed above their talent, etc). But no former ties to the program or WNY. Just saying it isn’t a prerequisite. No media members have given any inside info. 100% pure speculation based on nothing. 

Haven’t really kept track of recruiting, is our incoming women’s squad actually that good?

10 hours ago, Kevin said:

Hodgson literally coaches the #1 team in the country. 

He should be the top of the list with Cohen.

Hodgson makes so much sense. But is he at the point where he could surpass a mid major school? Assistant at 2 successful programs, fantastic recruiter, I think he has a résumé to interview at an even better program and get the job.

10 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

I know there is no right answer however, how long do coaching searches usually take for Bball? I’m assuming we won’t know the coach or candidates until after the tournament correct?

I think we'll start to get hints of interest but I would expect interviews will likely be delayed by the tournament.

Though we know one candidate that doesn't mind exploring options during a run (partial sarcasm?).

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Hodgson makes so much sense. But is he at the point where he could surpass a mid major school? Assistant at 2 successful programs, fantastic recruiter, I think he has a résumé to interview at an even better program and get the job.

This might be true, he is also making more money as an assistant then UB might be willing to fork over. Waiting anothe year or 2 might get him to cash out for millions as well. 

1 hour ago, Blue03 said:

Haven’t really kept track of recruiting, is our incoming women’s squad actually that good?

Our incoming PG just lost the Ohio State championship, took her team further than the school has every been. Two of our recruits are vying for Miss Kentucky Basketball, one shoots about 40% from 3, a recruit from Spain without much info on. If nothing else, she is bringing in winners and players that want the ball in their hands with the game on the line. We didn't really have that outside Stone this season. It looks like a solid class with tons of potential and they come in with winning attitudes.

3 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

The longer it goes the speculation becomes that it’s a coach on a team still playing in the big dance. Otherwise you assume would could move quickly in our interview process.

Not necessarily.  Leipold finished his run to a national championship after being hired. Same could be done with basketball.  Give the new coach a cell phone and he can be recruiting while still coaching/

8 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Not necessarily.  Leipold finished his run to a national championship after being hired. Same could be done with basketball.  Give the new coach a cell phone and he can be recruiting while still coaching/

And take any underutilized players with him 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BrooklynBull said:

Not to get nitpicky but that’s a little different. Lance was in D2 or whatever and he was the head coach and like a legend there. And it most likely was just coaching one game. Not potentially 6. And since, the landscape of college athletics has really changed. Doubt Oats would let Hodgson interview while trying to make a title run.

I really don't care where the next coach comes from.  UNLESS the draw of coming home means they can get a better coach than one who would've otherwise come here.  My concerns are, can they teach basketball, can they manage personalities, can they recruit.  Oats and Gill did just fine here and they had no local connection.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 4:19 PM, MuchMany said:

I think it is incredibly unlikely to be Hodgson. Things just don't work that way, returning to the second choice of a head coach's coaching tree. I'd be stunned.

I also heard rumors that Hodgson and ADMA never really saw eye to eye.  Actually, I cleaned that up from was told to me.

12 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

I also heard rumors that Hodgson and ADMA never really saw eye to eye.  Actually, I cleaned that up from was told to me.

Really good recruiters are like really good sales guys, they burn the edges of morality and truth at times. An AD's nightmare is an NCAA violation for a mid-major conference that can't buy-off the NCAA. Not saying that's what he did but top recruiters need to a arrogant and cocky and that doesn't always play well with the guy who has to clean up the shit left on his doorstep.

10 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Really good recruiters are like really good sales guys, they burn the edges of morality and truth at times. An AD's nightmare is an NCAA violation for a mid-major conference that can't buy-off the NCAA. Not saying that's what he did but top recruiters need to a arrogant and cocky and that doesn't always play well with the guy who has to clean up the shit left on his doorstep.

NCAA Violations would have been a welcome site for Alabama this year compared to what they went through. I just don't see Hodgson as a head coach.  As others have mentioned, he has never been an X and O's guy.  Can he even draw up plays and know clock management? This was a big criticism of Whitesell, what makes people think Hodgson is any better?  

He is a high level recruiter and to be honest he can make a lot of money doing that for the rest of his career.  I think taking a mid-major coaching job is actually a step down for what his strengths are. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BullBoy said:

NCAA Violations would have been a welcome site for Alabama this year compared to what they went through. I just don't see Hodgson as a head coach.  As others have mentioned, he has never been an X and O's guy.  Can he even draw up plays and know clock management? This was a big criticism of Whitesell, what makes people think Hodgson is any better?  

He is a high level recruiter and to be honest he can make a lot of money doing that for the rest of his career.  I think taking a mid-major coaching job is actually a step down for what his strengths are. 

Yeah, I guess technically murder isn't an NCAA violation and bringing a gun to a teammate involved in an altercation isn't really a big deal according to all accounts, so I guess buying a recruit an illegal cheeseburger would be less of a problem.

3 hours ago, BullBoy said:

How could u possibly know he has never been and X's and O's guy? I'd imagine his recruiting skills are elite, but he's been in Oats's hip pocket for 8 years. Also the offense that Oats runs is not remarkably complex. 

Edited by Chet

1 hour ago, bullsbball said:

Anybody can coach by watching YouTube videos.

Not sure I totally agree with this. 'Bama is 195 in the country for 3-point shots. UB was 274. 

Those longer 3s, probably open up the paint to get them the points.

This is exactly what he did here. Horns clear was staple of our offense. I while say this…notice how every offensive possession includes ball screens. It’s a must. Not just iso ball.

3 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Alabama assistants are not off-limits at this time

Looks like he was making the same salary as Hodgson at Alabama. I see Georgia Southern's previous coach Brian Burg was making $230k FWIW. Seems likely Henry will be taking a paycut and would be within UB's salary range if that portends anything for the possibility of Hodgson.