Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

James Graham III

Buffalo secures a commitment from Missouri State transfer James Graham III. Former 4 star, Top 100 prospect who began his career at Maryland.

Looks like he was listed as a sophomore last season so he should have a few years of eligibility remaining. Hasn’t produced much in limited action but would seem to be a player worth taking a chance on based on his previous recruiting profile.

https://247sports.com/player/james-graham-46058803/

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger
  • Like 2

Good shooting F. Pretty similar skill set to Isaiah Adams except a righty, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I could see them playing together a bunch to spread the floor while providing some size on defense and the boards.

Edited by MuchMany

This is a very very encouraging transfer. It’s a new beginning for him. We are still so wide open at guard that who knows if he sees major starting minutes or plays a role off of the bench. Either way, seeing a top 100 player commit to us is so cool. He’s up there with Wes Clark as highest ranked players to play for us. I’m excited.

27 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Former top 100 recruit is always nice to add

Why a third transfer? Is he eligible right away? Assuming Maryland was due to coaching change

That’s my fear is he’ll have to sit. I saw that he was originally an early entrant at Maryland, Graduated early. I’m guessing it was due to coaching change or playing time 

5 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

If he’s a two time transfer he would have to applied for waiver. If denied he sits.

looks like a new home was in the cards. MoSt may be fine granting the waiver. Looks like they backfilled immediately. I guess we will see. I know the former school has part to do with it, but I’m sure the NCAA gets a vote too.

https://www.news-leader.com/story/sports/college/msu/2023/05/01/james-graham-transfer-portal-missouri-state-maryland-milwaukee-mens-basketball-college/70171159007/

Some articles discussing two time transfer waivers

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-wildcats/news/ncaa-announces-new-waiver-guidelines-second-time-transfers/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/4450771/2023/04/26/college-basketball-transfers-ncaa-waiver/%3famp=1

I take away that a waiver would be unlikely due to very few available reasons for a waiver, but you can never tell with the NCAA.  

The reason  below is viewed as most likely to be used

• (1) for reasons related to the student-athlete’s physical or mental health and well-being.

3 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Some articles discussing two time transfer waivers

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-wildcats/news/ncaa-announces-new-waiver-guidelines-second-time-transfers/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/4450771/2023/04/26/college-basketball-transfers-ncaa-waiver/%3famp=1

I take away that a waiver would be unlikely due to very few available reasons for a waiver, but you can never tell with the NCAA.  

The reason  below is viewed as most likely to be used

• (1) for reasons related to the student-athlete’s physical or mental health and well-being.

Also known as make up some BS and get them on the floor/field?

3 hours ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Do we know that the Recruiting Coordinator wasn't the one that actually fudged the documents?  There's a difference between taking the fall, and going down because you actually did the dirty deed.

Hence why I said Whitesell administration. I was also joking. Let’s not repeat that mistake again please. 

Edited by DooleyBull06
  • Like 1

I bet Presutti was the lead on landing Graham. He was an AC at Marquette when they offered Graham, a Milwaukee native. Presutti is also tagged in Graham's IG commitment post. Good to see all three ACs busy on the trail and landing guys. 

EDIT: Also saw fellow Milwaukeean Lamonte Bearden showing him love in the comments.

Edited by MuchMany
  • Like 7

On 6/6/2023 at 4:21 PM, Jeseph said:

I like it. Maybe I just wanted anything but the old regime but I'm enjoying the general "energy" around this program again.

Agreed. Last couple years the players looked so depressed. Had no life to them. Want our men’s team to look like our women’s team under coach Jack, jumping up excited and rearing to go. 

3 hours ago, Blue03 said:

Agreed. Last couple years the players looked so depressed. Had no life to them. Want our men’s team to look like our women’s team under coach Jack, jumping up excited and rearing to go. 

Or just our men's team under Oats... 

• admin pinned this topic
  • Jeseph unpinned this topic
  • 3 months later...

UB basketball's James Graham III denied immediate eligibility waiver by NCAA; Niagara's David Mitchell exhausts eligibility (buffalonews.com)

The University at Buffalo men’s basketball team will be without a key transfer this season.

UB’s athletic department announced Monday that the NCAA denied a waiver for James Graham III, a transfer from Missouri State, to immediately play for the Bulls, who opened the season Monday night against Fairleigh Dickinson at Alumni Arena.

Graham, a guard/forward, joined the Bulls in June after one season at Missouri State in which he averaged 4.2 points and 1.9 rebounds in 18 games. UB is his third program; he enrolled at Maryland in January 2021 and entered the transfer portal 11 months later, after former Terps head coach Mark Turgeon resigned in December 2021.

In a statement posted to X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, first-year UB coach George Halcovage III said the program and the athletic department will appeal the decision. No timetable was given by UB as to when the NCAA could announce a decision.

“Although this is disappointing, we are hopeful to get James eligible to play this season and are supporting him in every way possible throughout the waiver process, on and off the court,” Halcovage said.

The absence of Graham thins UB’s options at wing and the Bulls’ lineup, which initially was set to begin the season with 12 players, including five returning players from last season, and five freshmen.

The NCAA has become less lenient in recent months in granting waivers for immediate eligibility.

In January, the NCAA’s Division I Council approved legislation that limits waiver approvals for two-time undergraduate transfers to gain immediate eligibility when joining a third program. Transfers must meet certain requirements, including physical or mental health issues that result in a transfer, and “exigent circumstances” that could facilitate a transfer. Academic considerations and playing time would not be considered in the waiver process.

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, rma said:

Do we see Graham for the Richmond game now?ScreenShot2023-12-13at1_41_06PM.png.76c571b8c8db90b292b02d939d581b69.png

Honestly let him redshirt and hopefully he’s a piece of a competitive team next year. Chatman will be gone and Adams will eligible to grad transfer (presumably). Wing/Forward isn’t even the weak spot on this team so he’d probably just dilute minutes for our few experienced players

Edited by trueblue32

On 12/13/2023 at 1:54 PM, trueblue32 said:

Honestly let him redshirt and hopefully he’s a piece of a competitive team next year. Chatman will be gone and Adams will eligible to grad transfer (presumably). Wing/Forward isn’t even the weak spot on this team so he’d probably just dilute minutes for our few experienced players

I think he should play this year and let the chips fall wherever. We need to field a more competitive team this year so we don’t lose more fans and especially more season ticket holders who are leaving and not showing up for games as evidenced by many empty seats.