Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Next Coach In: Pete Lembo

Bill

I feel as if I’ve warmed up to the hire based on the reaction I’ve seen from people who are on the college football landscape. It is only a special teams coordinator role, but he was considered one of the best for that role in the country and from what I’ve heard was Shane Beamer’s right hand man. The Ball State saga looks bad, but Ball State is historically a hard place to win at and he is the second best coach by winning percentage in their history. I think he will be a very solid hire, but time will tell as my initial reaction was a lot more pessimistic 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RapidsFan said:

For whatever it's worth, Alnutt is openly lying about the timeline.

'Right there, in my mind, I am in search mode': How UB's hire of Pete Lembo took days, not weeks

A few hours before a social media post surfaced about a major change in the University at Buffalo athletic program, Mark Alnutt got a phone call from Maurice Linguist in the early afternoon on Jan. 16.

Linguist was about to begin his fourth season as the UB football coach, but he told Alnutt, the school’s athletic director, that he had a good shot at joining Kalen DeBoer’s football coaching staff at Alabama, and had just had a conversation with the athletic department in Tuscaloosa about the opportunity to become a co-defensive coordinator with the Crimson Tide.

About 10 minutes after the initial conversation with Linguist, Alnutt said he got a call from Alabama athletic director Greg Byrne about the football program’s interest in Linguist as an assistant coach and coordinator.

That set off a chain of events that began with Alnutt calling Linguist and asking him, “Is this true?” Linguist, Alnutt said, answered in the affirmative, and immediately Alnutt sprang into action to find the next UB football coach. He quickly formulated a short list with three potential candidates. UB didn’t use a search firm to find and vet candidates. They had virtual interviews Thursday and Friday, and wanted to close the interview process Friday.

So what's in the ... that you cut off?

Mo talked to Bama, Mo then talks to Alnutt, Byrne called Alnutt and said he thinks it will happen, reports surface that Mo is set to go to Bama, Alnutt calls Mo asking him if it's true after Mo didn't keep him posted. There's nothing contradictory there.

32 minutes ago, RapidsFan said:

Mo gave notice last month

So you're saying UB allowed a non-employee to hire an offensive coordinator? Or that he knew Saban was retiring last month?

33 minutes ago, RapidsFan said:

As we're talking about in the basketball thread,  Rachel Lenzi is less of a journalist and more of a propaganda arm

Agreed, I'm tired of seeing tweets about empty seats for women's basketball games and pictures of men's basketball games 30 minutes before tip. If she has an anti-UB agenda it's really starting to show.

38 minutes ago, RapidsFan said:

See also: the podcast above hosted by UB employee Scott Wilson

Scott Wilson is not a UB employee

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RapidsFan said:

I'm sure there won't be a Buffalo News article written by Rachel Lenzi in the next month giving a blow-by-blow account of how Pete Lembo was so nice making small-talk with donors at a meet and greet, and really likes chicken wings

Reporters are not invited to donor events, and even if this does happen it’s nothing compared to what the local media does to the Buffalo Bills. They write hard-hitting articles on behalf of Terry and Kim Pegula such as:

”Rochester-area couple names new baby after Josh Allen”

”Young Bills Fan Breaks Down in Tears When Meeting Josh Allen”

”Shop puts up Bills flower display at Genesee and Ellicott”

7 hours ago, RapidsFan said:

Did Alnutt really conduct a nationwide coaching search in 5 days, or were there other factors that led to that short-list of names

I wonder what other factors there were? Take a look at Mo’s resume with some critical thinking skills.

Other schools around this time of year filled their vacancies in 2-3 days, so 5 is not unreasonable. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, RapidsFan said:

Aaaaaand right on cue

UB football coach Pete Lembo presses the flesh to help program's profile

Rachel Lenzi

January 24, 2024

Pete Lembo sat in an upper corner of Alumni Arena on Tuesday night, about 15 minutes before the University at Buffalo men’s basketball team’s tipoff against Ball State. He was barely two days on the job as UB’s new football coach, but already making the rounds, chatting with the Bulls’ football season ticket holders and campus stakeholders.

Lembo made his first foray into the campus community. During his introduction earlier Tuesday, he reiterated the value of public engagement – a facet that’s especially important as Lembo has immediately become the new face and personality of UB football, and one of the highest-profile employees at UB.

The initial engagement with UB’s fan base is both timely and necessary. Lembo’s arrival to UB comes as the football program has seen a drop in attendance and in contributions, and is coming off a 3-9 season.

At the under-12 timeout, with Ball State leading 20-18, Lembo sported a UB athletics quarter-zip – a more casual change from the blue patterned sport coat he wore earlier in the day at his formal introduction – and took the court during a media timeout and addressed the 2,000-plus in attendance.

Is this to prove that Lenzi is a "propaganda arm of UB" ?  

I'm not quite sure what is wrong with shaking hands and meeting those who buy tickets to your games and donate to the program. If that wasn't happening,  that would be a pretty big red flag in my opinion.  In the end, the coaches are people and someone that most of the ticket holders/donors would want to meet and talk with. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, skrabukes said:

I'm not quite sure what is wrong with shaking hands and meeting those who buy tickets to your games and donate to the program. If that wasn't happening,  that would be a pretty big red flag in my opinion.  In the end, the coaches are people and someone that most of the ticket holders/donors would want to meet and talk with. 

Also the Ball State game was football season ticket holder appreciation day.

22 hours ago, ubbulls98 said:

Can we at least admit, he has to be better than what just left...

That could come back to bite us. If we settle for “a little bit better” we might end up with a lot of mediocrity. But if the seasons aren’t abysmal we’ll be left not knowing when to move on, at least Mo made it clear when he failed.