Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Malik Zachery (G - 2020)

Jeseph

I thought it was strange when he came out and said he was back with no statement from the school or team

So this actually makes a bit more sense to me

Ub stuck with a guy they committed to and appears (hopefully) helped him get through a tough year. But at the end of the day its best for both to start fresh 

2 hours ago, MuchMany said:

What a bizarre saga. Sad to say his entire time here has been completely consistent with what I heard from kids who played with him growing up. Hope he figures things out at some point. 

A nail in the coffin of some awful 2019 and 2020 classes. 

But does this now clear the way for Blocker? 

I know he had someone in his ears about playing up. He stayed at UB to be cleared, then decided to try for P5. 

Edited by Kevin

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

Must have had a fun weekend playing pickup wearing all UB gear with Brewton in South Carolina 🙄... IG post liked by literally the entire team. I'll wait to hear the whole story, but I'm prepared to be fully miffed.

I’m going with a playing time issue that was relayed to him or he heard from bigger schools. That’s all that makes sense. 

8 hours ago, Bill said:

well that’s certainly a development 

Lol. The "portal" is just a joke as a whole. It really makes one appreciate those guys who actually come in, develop into stars, and stay all 4 years. Whether it's football or basketball,  it really is not a positive development in the NCAA. Too many people in too many ego's ears going "up" (you're too good for the school you're at) or even those going "down" (I can get more time elsewhere...how about busting your butt and getting better?). It truly has soured me on the whole thing. Thousands of moves per year across the country.  It's just really a complete joke.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Lol. The "portal" is just a joke as a whole. It really makes one appreciate those guys who actually come in, develop into stars, and stay all 4 years. Whether it's football or basketball,  it really is not a positive development in the NCAA. Too many people in too many ego's ears going "up" (you're too good for the school you're at) or even those going "down" (I can get more time elsewhere...how about busting your butt and getting better?). It truly has soured me on the whole thing. Thousands of moves per year across the country.  It's just really a complete joke.

I agree wholeheartedly. Too many “influencers” and hangers on around people and too easy to access information (some good some inaccurate). Literally thousands in the football portal. Like a giant game of musical chairs.

in this situation it’s possible UB wasn’t enamored with his tweets etc. Perhaps they were preparing a much larger statement especially given the circumstances. It could be they felt this was yet another breach of how we do things and team first. They may have saw that as a young man that may not have learned from his mistakes. Hopefully he finds a fit and can be a productive player and member of society. Don’t follow in the footsteps of his former teammate and throw his future away.

Peace out. Thanks for nothing. May you make the best of your second, third, I’ve lost count, opportunity. I’m salty on all this. Credit to UB for sticking with him. I hope he gets on the right path but what a waste this saga was. Good bye. Prolly best he’s gone for all sides.

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Peace out. Thanks for nothing. May you make the best of your second, third, I’ve lost count, opportunity. I’m salty on all this. Credit to UB for sticking with him. I hope he gets on the right path but what a waste this saga was. Good bye. Prolly best he’s gone for all sides.

UB did exactly what his dad asked them to do, believe in his son and stand by him. Now a kick in the nuts. I guess that’s how it goes. Next Bull in.

33 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

UB did exactly what his dad asked them to do, believe in his son and stand by him. Now a kick in the nuts. I guess that’s how it goes. Next Bull in.

Give me guys who wanna be here. Part of a perennial MAC contender. Perfect time to shoutout guys like Jeenathan and Segu who stayed during a coaching change and will be here through their senior years.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Give me guys who wanna be here. Part of a perennial MAC contender. Perfect time to shoutout guys like Jeenathan and Segu who stayed during a coaching change and will be here through their senior years.

Agreed and both of those guys deserve all of the credit for sure. Each could have gone to "bigger and better". I respect that group a lot.

3 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

They've been a great duo/(class with Mballa joining them). They are the connection to the glory year teams, so this year is important in passing on that legacy to the next group, if you believe in that kind of thing. It's a shame that their breakout year was soured by covid and no fans. Hard to believe that they're going to be seniors already 👴🏼.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Agreed and both of those guys deserve all of the credit for sure. Each could have gone to "bigger and better". I respect that group a lot.

Respect?   Maybe.   For signing to UB to begin with, sure.  For staying for 4 years?  Meh, that’s merely what they signed up for to begin with. 

2 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

Respect?   Maybe.   For signing to UB to begin with, sure.  For staying for 4 years?  Meh, that’s merely what they signed up for to begin with. 

In today’s day in age where a kid commits to a university and then decommits 5 days later…yea I’ll say they deserve some respect. Especially when the coach that recruited them bounced. They easily could have also. 

• Like 3

Rondo could be starting at PG for a UCF-type team next year. Nate could start for Syracuse next year. They're the leaders of our program on and off the court. They've been instrumental in keeping the program at it's current level. I'm excited to show them love in person at Alumni again.

For those who care, Kuluel looks to be the heir to Rondo's social media star, though not quite to the same degree. He gets a ton of love from his hoops peers and seems like a funny and humble kid.

54 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

… I’ll say they deserve some respect….

It’s funny (?), that in the past I’ve said that a high tide raises all boats.  But now presented with the opposite, I do not agree that a sinking ship lowers all tides.  I don’t think extra credit should be given to someone just because someone else is worse.  

I think there was probably an understanding between UB and Malik that we would stand by him but he won’t be able to come back with us again. I just have a feeling that this was the plan all along. He was probably asking for another chance and they met him half way saying sure but not with UB. Just a thought not sure if that’s how it went down but could have been. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

I think there was probably an understanding between UB and Malik that we would stand by him but he won’t be able to come back with us again. I just have a feeling that this was the plan all along. He was probably asking for another chance and they met him half way saying sure but not with UB. Just a thought not sure if that’s how it went down but could have been. 

Honestly, knowing nothing about the inner-workings of this situation, this was my thought on it as well.  Unless I'm misremembering, UB never said a word publicly about this situation or Zachery's status with the team.  When the incident happened, it was pretty late in the recruiting game so UB gave it a shot to see how the investigation played out, but at some point it may have been determined internally that he wasn't going to be playing for UB.  Let him go out on his own terms and enter the portal.

It's like when a coach on the hot seat "resigns" rather than gets fired.  Everyone gets to walk away on good terms without a PR nightmare.

2 hours ago, MKBullsfan said:

If that's the case I hope that was communicated to potential recruits at the position (which would be an awkward pitch).

1 minute ago, Jeseph said:

If that's the case I hope that was communicated to potential recruits at the position (which would be an awkward pitch).

What’s the word on Blocker? Hopefully we are still on him. He’d probably get some playing time because we are short at SG