Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Nate Oats and Alabama

4 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

It's the best thing about buffalo but it's also the worst thing

Im also not sure if ambitious is the right word to describe what I know you are saying though

Most would rather be happy feeling disrespected as a place than actually turning into something people want to be part of. Lovable loser syndrome. With expectations comes more heartbreak.

Edited by UBinMD
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, ntsfinest said:

Gonna be a NBA coach in a few years if he keeps this up.

I’ve always thought that was his trajectory but honestly Bama has deep pockets and he is a genius at the college level. I don’t know if night in and night out pros wanna play his style. He’s perfect where he’s at. The only logical move is to a true blue blood. Otherwise he can be the next Saban at Bama.

Edited by DooleyBull06

8 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I’ve always thought that was his trajectory but honestly Bama has deep pockets and he is a genius at the college level. I don’t know if night in and night out pros wanna play his style. He’s perfect where he’s at. The only logical move is to a true blue blood. Otherwise he can be the next Saban at Bama.

Agreed, always saw him there someday. Ambitious innovators who can motivate are a rare commodity. I think he's 5-8 more years at Bama then NBA. Kentucky is the only job he'd leave for now imo. He's got the perfect ratio of resources to expectations/scrutiny at Bama.

Congrats to him on the Elite 8. That was a wildly entertaining game. And every red-blooded American I know enjoys seeing UNCheat's annual exit the tournament.

21 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Agreed, always saw him there someday. Ambitious innovators who can motivate are a rare commodity. I think he's 5-8 more years at Bama then NBA. Kentucky is the only job he'd leave for now imo. He's got the perfect ratio of resources to expectations/scrutiny at Bama.

Congrats to him on the Elite 8. That was a wildly entertaining game. And every red-blooded American I know enjoys seeing UNCheat's annual exit the tournament.

I thought Michigan but the big raise took care of that. Maybe Michigan St when Izzo is gone. 

1 minute ago, ntsfinest said:

I thought Michigan but the big raise took care of that. Maybe Michigan St when Izzo is gone. 

Michigan State would make some sense, but I think he likes the south now and the SEC. I think one of his daughters is a student at Alabama now too. Plus he's closer to the major talent producing states of Georgia, Florida, Texas, and North Carolina where.

Not sure how much he'd value moving closer to "home." Can't see him going to Madison anymore either. He's turning Bama into as good of a job as any Big Ten job.

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

Michigan State would make some sense, but I think he likes the south now and the SEC. I think one of his daughters is a student at Alabama now too. Plus he's closer to the major talent producing states of Georgia, Florida, Texas, and North Carolina where.

Not sure how much he'd value moving closer to "home." Can't see him going to Madison anymore either. He's turning Bama into as good of a job as any Big Ten job.

Agree. With his contract extension and Saban sort of out of the picture if Nate can continue to be successful and recruit and hit on the players he recruits and be in the top SEC  I wonder what it would take for him to leave??? Watching the game Nelson was the game changer and that is what it takes to win the game. Watching many Alabama games this year he was not a factor in many of them. At this level all it takes is one game to shoot lights out and you win. NC hitting 10 3’s in the first half and 3 in the second half?? The sports guys were talking about the Clemson defense against Arizona and it was good but Arizona could not hit 3’s like they do and many of those 3’s were wide open. A combination of good defense and a team having an off night make all the difference. An exciting time of the year!!!

2 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Michigan is an awesome school academically (as is Buffalo, by the way).

Alabama...not as much.  But I have to tell you that Alabama is looking to change that (and have been).  They have a lot of money and are, basically, buying REALLY GOOD out of state students through their scholarship program.  They are doing a lot of building and are making it a destination.  The problem is, of course, it is in a small, poorly accessible town in Tuscaloosa.  But once you are on campus, they do an outstanding job of recruitment (forget about athletes...I am talking about a general student)...and they have a lot of things on campus.

Considering the weather (at least in the winter) and the importance of athletics at Alabama (go beyond MBB and football...you will find a lot), I can see why Oats would have no intention/interest in moving.   I think he stays for a long while -- why would he go?  Maybe if he wins a championship at some point and wants the challenge of the NBA, he could...but I don't see it at the moment.

The job Oats did last night was great.  There were a few times I felt they would get run off the court with their decision making and turnovers, but they made enough shots and he kept them in the game.  UNC could not keep up the defensive effort for much time after the time outs...it dragged on them.   Oats didn't overreact at all...he was thinking about all 40 minutes.  Just a great win for him in a game where I don't think they were the better team, overall.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, UB92 said:

The job Oats did last night was great.  There were a few times I felt they would get run off the court with their decision making and turnovers, but they made enough shots and he kept them in the game.  UNC could not keep up the defensive effort for much time after the time outs...it dragged on them.   Oats didn't overreact at all...he was thinking about all 40 minutes.  Just a great win for him in a game where I don't think they were the better team, overall.

That's Oats philosophy in general, even back to UB. When they don't make 3s they can get blown out. But at the same time they get hot and they put games away or can make comebacks.

To echo some of the comments above, Nate might be the best one game scenario coach right now.  He is great at finding and exploiting mismatches. Like poor mans Chet Holgrem last night. Jeremy Harris vs Arizona for us. He’s got one thing left to do and that’s win it all.  Basically what we are seeing at Bama is what we were beginning to see at UB. Tempo. Threes. Multiple ball handling guards in the lineup at the same time. Wings who are lengthy and can switch on defense. Everything. Bama is what we would’ve been had we been able to keep him. 

Forgot one thing…Nate loves his lefty players too. Purposely recruits them. Tactical. 

Edited by DooleyBull06

2 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

To echo some of the comments above, Nate might be the best one game scenario coach right now.  He is great at finding and exploiting mismatches. Like poor mans Chet Holgrem last night. Jeremy Harris vs Arizona for us. He’s got one thing left to do and that’s win it all.  Basically what we are seeing at Bama is what we were beginning to see at UB. Tempo. Threes. Multiple ball handling guards in the lineup at the same time. Wings who are lengthy and can switch on defense. Everything. Bama is what we would’ve been had we been able to keep him. 

Forgot one thing…Nate loves his lefty players too. Purposely recruits them. Tactical. 

Just watching him on the sideline, standing there, after a bad turnover, he didn't explode or yell.  Just kept coaching for the next play.  I've seen coaches lose their mind after bad plays by players, but he didn't yesterday.   And he didn't panic/change plans when UNC had some guys (not great shooters) hit open shots early.  

Now they get Clemson.  They could easily go to the Final Four.

1 hour ago, UB92 said:

Just watching him on the sideline, standing there, after a bad turnover, he didn't explode or yell.  Just kept coaching for the next play.  I've seen coaches lose their mind after bad plays by players, but he didn't yesterday.   And he didn't panic/change plans when UNC had some guys (not great shooters) hit open shots early.  

Now they get Clemson.  They could easily go to the Final Four.

Not sure about easily since they lost to Clemson at home and only scored 77 that game. They certainly have a very good chance, especially if they play with that level of intensity again.

1 hour ago, Chet said:

What a fun brand of basketball! Would love a team that played like that. Oh that’s right….ADMA passed on Hodgson for GHIII. Horrible! 

I don't the think having Hodgson would of fixed anything. Oats is that good. UB is going to be a segment on his 30 for 30 on day

7 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

I think the talk of what blue blood is gonna poach Nate Oats is going to be put to rest. Alabama is gonna do whatever it takes to keep him around. 

He's not going anywhere. He just signed for close to $6mil per year, top 5 paid coach in the country. He's made Alabama basketball the best game in town, and that includes football!