Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

39 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

I don't think it was ever going to be Hodgson. Too much baggage from the last go 'round and maybe too much baggage from the current 'Bama situation. As fans, we can be more romantic about the good ol' days than the decision makers are

Imagine what will happen though if our choice strikes out and BH wins some games at Ark St.

AD needs to pick a good one here. 

Mike Anderson would be a disaster. A twice fired coach with a $5M parachute from his prior school and close to retirement, this gig is pointless for him and his ties to us superficial. We’ll just further dig the Whitesell hole. We need young and up and coming. Unfortunately the donor class is pushing hard for Anderson, as is the NY Daily News. We don’t hear much from our NYC alums but they are all over this and are tying it to more downstate games, which could be a good thing but not worth an awful coach who will always lose.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, yussi1870 said:

Unfortunately the donor class is pushing hard for Anderson, as is the NY Daily News. We don’t hear much from our NYC alums but they are all over this 

Do you have some sort of "inside info" on this, or is still just speculation?  What would the NY Daily News care about UB basketball?  Hell, our own local papers and sports radio stations barely care about UB (aside from Rachel Lenzi and Jonah Bronstein).

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, UBlearns said:

Do you have some sort of "inside info" on this, or is still just speculation?  What would the NY Daily News care about UB basketball?  Hell, our own local papers and sports radio stations barely care about UB (aside from Rachel Lenzi and Jonah Bronstein).

They care about Anderson, not about UB ball.

4 minutes ago, Chet said:

Funny that Anderson was rumored to be on the list for Arkansas State and they appear to be on Hodgson. The irony!

I read an article about their search and they had Anderson on the list, I laughed because they seemed more interested in him than hodgson in the article (Anderson actually would make sense for ark st - as he has coached in the south and has been successful there)

Sounded like an Alabama assistant was on the list due to Arkansas st hiring what seems like their new AD from bama

9 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

I read an article about their search and they had Anderson on the list, I laughed because they seemed more interested in him than hodgson in the article (Anderson actually would make sense for ark st - as he has coached in the south and has been successful there)

Sounded like an Alabama assistant was on the list due to Arkansas st hiring what seems like their new AD from bama

Mike Anserson coached at Arkansas. 

3 hours ago, Chet said:

Love Coach Oats's 5 out offense. Having the paint open for drives and kick outs is so fun to watch when the three ball is falliing and we have athletic wings to get to the paint and rim. Would imagine Coach Hodgson would have brought the same. What kind of offense has Cohen coached in? What are you anticipating he runs if he gets the job? Why do you want him?

I’m not sure what exactly his offense would look like, but the teams he has been associated have been good scoring teams with shoot high FG%. I also like the places he has been and his ability to recruit that those places. Rice, Stanford, Harvard and Vanderbilt are not easy places to recruit, but he figured it out. He’s also known not only for recruiting but also as a teacher, specifically PG and perimeter talent. That is something I personally think is important. Recruiting is great, but I’ve also seen success with hidden gems that get proper coaching (CJ and Perkins come to mind). He had 3 top 20 recruiting classes in 4 years at Stanford and got a guy drafted by the NBA in 19, 20, 21. All kinds of academic and all-league players at his various stops, winning teams and programs while he was there. A 30-under-30 choice in 2016.

I like this summary quite a bit:

Regarded as an excellent recruiter, Cohen has also earned a reputation as a talented teacher with a knack for developing talent and there are plenty of great examples of that skill. Ziaire Williams was the 10th overall pick in the 2021 NBA Draft to the Memphis Grizzlies, KZ Okpala was drafted by the Miami Heat in the second round of the 2019 NBA Draft, and Tyrell Terry went to the Dallas Mavericks in the second round of the 2020 Draft. Cohen, who led the recruiting efforts for the Cardinal program, was instrumental in landing multiple top 20 recruiting classes, including back-to-back McDonald's All-Americans for the first time in Stanford history.

I could be off base but this excites me more than BH coaching under one guy that is a phenomenal coach. I have not heard anyone talk about BH teaching or coaching ability, maybe he does but it’s never come up in anything I have read. That is my rationale, since you asked.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

could be off base but this excites me more than BH coaching under one guy that is a phenomenal coach. I have not heard anyone talk about BH teaching or coaching ability, maybe he does but it’s never come up in anything I have read. That is my rationale, since you asked.

I think you're spot on. Cohen is a tier above BH with a deeper resumé and a more complete skill set. 

2 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Hearing from sources that Saddi has the most traction at the moment 

Saddi has a real interesting resume as well, played at western Michigan, volunteer coach at Romulus, assistant at Oakland (under long term coach Greg kempe) and then Michigan with belien and Howard.

Believe I read he won a recruiter of the year award in 2021 for the Michigan class 

11 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Hearing from sources that Saddi has the most traction at the moment 

I would not be unhappy about that. He works in our recruiting footprint, came from the MAC, has had solid mid major and P5 success. I could get behind that hire. Wards Manuel is there, maybe easier communications between departments?

Edited by UBinMD

16 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

Seems like a pretty darn good recruiter, I know it’s Michigan but those names are impressive. I don’t expect us to grab any 4-5 stars but… Washington will have to have some great recruiting ties

350AD7F1-B30E-42F4-93BF-F54BD21D02B5.jpeg

If he is the choice it could happen quick since UM lost to Vanderbilt so their season is officially over. We will see.

I wouldn’t mind another ‘retread’, *if* that brings the potential to be replaced by a young up and coming assistant.  
A down year in the BE is still better than an average MAC season. 
So much focus is on the HC.  I’d rather judge the entire staff. (and possible continuity)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

That’s an interesting wrinkle. Is UB somehow more attractive to him than WMU? I wouldn’t think so, but who knows? 

4 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

If we had 3 offers out there would be some sort of news about it lol. We're using a search firm which is dragging it out

Since when are offers in the news to candidates anyway? Offers are done behind the scenes, one by one. We hear only when the initial hiring takes place. 

11 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

Since when are offers in the news to candidates anyway? Offers are done behind the scenes, one by one. We hear only when the initial hiring takes place. 

Welcome to the Information Age. For example, it is being reported that Ed Cooley has an offer from Georgetown that includes substantial raises for him and his staff. The info is out there. People leak it. Twitter finds it out.