Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

3 hours ago, MuchMany said:

I looked at his Twitter yesterday and I only saw the DOBO Jack Fitzpatrick following him so those are new I believe. For whatever that’s worth

edit: Fitzpatrick is the video coordinator, Fox is the DOBO whoops

Edited by trueblue32

31 minutes ago, squire17 said:

John Beilein coached high school, junior college, D3, D1 low mid major, D1 high mid major, then at 2 P5s. He was “the man” at every spot. He was never an assistant. McCollum - I’d rather he get a shot here than some retread or a guy who’s just been an assistant.

Don't forget the NBA...yikes 🤣

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

The silence is deafening.

Man I am glad I did not know about JW getting fired for 10 days. Glad that 9-9 in MAC play will get you fired now a days. Really, there was talent it just underperformed for the last 4 years. The names we are hearing seem to be good. The big fear is we will get someone from left field that is no where near as impressive on paper as the names we have seen.

I am fine if the silly blue color shirts go away, I just want to see the hustle come back, too often the D looked disinterested….

ready to turn the page, just want to see who’s name is o. The next page…

• Like 1

I’m guessing it’s McCollum, based off our staff following him right after his interview. What could delay this is the fact he’s residing in Missouri, has a wife and a few children who seem to be fairly young. He’s gonna have to buy a new home, find a school/schools for his kids. Not easy just to pack up and leave. Especially since he’s been in Missouri for a while 

13 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

I’m guessing it’s McCollum, based off our staff following him right after his interview. What could delay this is the fact he’s residing in Missouri, has a wife and a few children who seem to be fairly young. He’s gonna have to buy a new home, find a school/schools for his kids. Not easy just to pack up and leave. Especially since he’s been in Missouri for a while 

Very logical thought process. I agree.

32 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

I don’t need him in Buffalo I just want it announced. It’s disgusting that this department still doesn’t make decisions based on my personal desires 😡

• Haha 5

58 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

If he was the guy that shouldn’t effect anything. He can do all that post-announcement. They get paid enough to figure it out on the fly. Often coaches families don’t make the move for a while. 

• Like 1

Just now, DaBulls99 said:

If he was the guy that shouldn’t effect anything. He can do all that post-announcement. They get paid enough to figure it out on the fly. Often coaches families don’t make the move for a while. 

It's not even getting paid enough UB should be hiring a firm to handle the move relocation for him. 

41 minutes ago, Chet said:

The hire makes sense for Bulls fans given the success of LL coming from the DIII ranks. 

Hard not to make that comparison for sure. Time will tell but this one looks even better IMO. What LL accomplished at Wisconsin Whitewater was incredibly impressive but they had won the D3 championship in the two years preceding his first year as HC.  Before McCollum, NWMS had advanced no further than the elite eight. They’ve since won 4 of the last six held national championships. LL maintained a well oiled machine, McCollum arguably built one.

Just now, DaBulls99 said:

I imagine any perceived delay with him would be more due to identifying and seeking commitments from his staff and other housekeeping matters. There's probably a bit more to a D2 to D1 hire. 

57 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

I imagine any perceived delay with him would be more due to identifying and seeking commitments from his staff and other housekeeping matters. There's probably a bit more to a D2 to D1 hire. 

They need to hire the Iona logistics guy, he was waiting in a limo at the airport with a contract in hand, had already pickup up the guy’s wife and kids, bought him a house and moved them in 6 hours after FDUs loss!

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

They need to hire the Iona logistics guy, he was waiting in a limo at the airport with a contract in hand, had already pickup up the guy’s wife and kids, bought him a house and moved them in 6 hours after FDUs loss!

Public vs private 😂

23 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Winning the NIT in 1977 was not winning a national championship.  The 1977 national champion was Marquette.

Back in 1977 the NIT was still a National Championship. That is what today’s college basketball fans recognize but back in the 1970’s college basketball teams choose the NIT especially Northeastern Powerhouse Private Catholic Schools went to the NIT over the NCAA because it was closer and New York’s MSG had the history among college basketball schools in the Northeast. The NCAA wasn’t as big as now it’s like a Super Bowl now back then it wasn’t. I am sure you think the Golden State Warriors NBA champions are the 1975 professional basketball champions. I recognize them I also recognize the ABA Kentucky Colonels as professional basketball champions also in 1975. Same with a very old Boston Celtics NBA and the New York Nets ABA it’s not clear cut so it’s disputed not undisputed. Your talking to a Buffalo Braves NBA fan but the facts are the NBA all star game in 1977 was loaded with ABA basketball stars so the professional basketball champions during that era aren’t undisputed. The Buffalo Western New York has never had a undisputed championship in the 4 majors or college football and basketball that is accurate fact. Even though the George Halas swindle of the Buffalo All Americans NFL championship of the 1920’s is very debatable. George Halas was such a joke read about him he wasn’t wonderful to Buffalo. I don’t consider the 1977 Marquette Warriors undisputed champions through it’s disputed. I recognize the NCAA Tournament basketball undisputed champion starting in 1980 to the present today when ESPN came on the scene then it became clear choice. 

So it’s disputed like before the Super Bowl was played. I would say by 1980 the NCAA was the clear choice as champion over the NIT when ESPN entered the picture and carried all the NCAA games not televised on NBC than CBS. Read the Buffalo Newspapers at that time period. I will help you January 21, 1977 Buffalo News sports front page read the article. UB basketball makes a couple of NCAA’s one and done appearances so what? The other three Western New York Big 4 basketball schools went much deeper into the NCAA’s and NIT tournaments. Western New York isn’t impressed win a National Championship UB Bulls no excuses. The New York Public Powerhouse shouldn’t have any problems doing that if there the powerhouse they claim to be.

The late great Buffalo Evening News writer Larry Felser considered the St Bonaventure Bonnies 1977 NIT National Championship and he was a Canisius College alum like myself we don’t have bias towards St Bonaventure Bonnies even though they are Canisius Golden Griffins rivals. UB Bulls alums would be better served to not get so hung up on the Little Three basketball having more success and history worry about UB Bulls basketball present problems of incompetence starting with the UB AD Mark Allnut who thought Jim Whitesell was so good he deserved an extension a 60 year old coach doesn’t give Western New York College Basketball fans a lot of trust in the UB people making the coaching decisions in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

4 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

Back in 1977 the NIT was still a National Championship. That is what today’s college basketball fans recognize but back in the 1970’s college basketball teams choose the NIT especially Northeastern Powerhouse Private Catholic Schools went to the NIT over the NCAA because it was closer and New York’s MSG had the history among college basketball schools in the Northeast. The NCAA wasn’t as big as now it’s like a Super Bowl now back then it wasn’t. I am sure you think the Golden State Warriors NBA champions are the 1975 professional basketball champions. I recognize them I also recognize the ABA Kentucky Colonels as professional basketball champions also in 1975. Same with a very old Boston Celtics NBA and the New York Nets ABA it’s not clear cut so it’s disputed not undisputed. Your talking to a Buffalo Braves NBA fan but the facts are the NBA all star game in 1977 was loaded with ABA basketball stars so the professional basketball champions during that era aren’t undisputed. The Buffalo Western New York has never had a undisputed championship in the 4 majors or college football and basketball that is accurate fact. Even though the George Halas swindle of the Buffalo All Americans NFL championship of the 1920’s is very debatable. George Halas was such a joke read about him he wasn’t wonderful to Buffalo. I don’t consider the 1977 Marquette Warriors undisputed champions through it’s disputed. I recognize the NCAA Tournament basketball undisputed champion starting in 1980 to the present today when ESPN came on the scene then it became clear choice. 

So it’s disputed like before the Super Bowl was played. I would say by 1980 the NCAA was the clear choice as champion over the NIT when ESPN entered the picture and carried all the NCAA games not televised on NBC than CBS. Read the Buffalo Newspapers at that time period. I will help you January 21, 1977 Buffalo News sports front page read the article. UB basketball makes a couple of NCAA’s one and done appearances so what? The other three Western New York Big 4 basketball schools went much deeper into the NCAA’s and NIT tournaments. Western New York isn’t impressed win a National Championship UB Bulls no excuses. The New York Public Powerhouse shouldn’t have any problems doing that if there the powerhouse they claim to be.

The late great Buffalo Evening News writer Larry Felser considered the St Bonaventure Bonnies 1977 NIT National Championship and he was a Canisius College alum like myself we don’t have bias towards St Bonaventure Bonnies even though they are Canisius Golden Griffins rivals. UB Bulls alums would be better served to not get so hung up on the Little Three basketball having more success and history worry about UB Bulls basketball present problems of incompetence starting with the UB AD Mark Allnut who thought Jim Whitesell was so good he deserved an extension a 60 year old coach doesn’t give Western New York College Basketball fans a lot of trust in the UB people making the coaching decisions in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

As someone who went to the 1972 NIT, it was already a tournament of also rans.  The NCAA only took one team per conference.  Which meant there were some very good teams in the NIT.   It was the regular season champion as only the ACC had a conference tournament then.  By the time that UCLA had its long run, the NCAA had over taken the NIT in prestige.

14 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

I could definitely enjoy this, especially if it comes with winning games.

They aren't all like this, but this is a possession from the Final Four a couple of years ago. Every one of those guys can shoot the three (except number 4), but they pass up multiple shots to get a better one and the ball doesn't stop moving.

And here is a shot chart during the 18-19 season, which is pretty typical of what we've seen over the last several years... hardly anything in that mid range area... lots of good shooters shooting 3s and shots around the basket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Alfred33 said:

They aren't all like this, but this is a possession from the Final Four a couple of years ago. Every one of those guys can shoot the three (except number 4), but they pass up multiple shots to get a better one and the ball doesn't stop moving.

And here is a shot chart during the 18-19 season, which is pretty typical of what we've seen over the last several years... hardly anything in that mid range area... lots of good shooters shooting 3s and shots around the basket.

Wow, now that’s a chart. 53% of shots at the rim, 44% of shots from three, and only 3% from mid-range. Taking less than one mid-range shot a game.  No wonder there offensive efficiency is through the roof.

I’d be curious to see how that compares to ‘Bama or our ranked Bulls team.

55 minutes ago, Alfred33 said:

Thank you for sharing.

I am getting too far ahead on this, please forgive me, but the shot chart shows a philosophy that should be appealing to Jones / Blocker. as they were two of our better 3pt shooters this past season, so perhaps you are able to convince them to stay.

MAC Regular Season 2022-23

image.png.0e193c113a03446615720721ef52fa5f.png

If you add one or two more players to the mix who can shoot the 3 / plus implement a system that gets these players more open looks - our offensive efficiency should improve materially.

Couple that with a more emphasis on defense - and I think you got makings of a very solid team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alfred33 said:
15 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

I could definitely enjoy this, especially if it comes with winning games.

So basically a variation on Red Holtzman's offense with the Knicks, hit the open man.