Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

11 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

I'm just trying to wrap my head around how this could happen. Alnutt did hire Maurice Linguist and he was considered a solid get. So why now the s##t show? Something feels weird, like everyone's not pulling in the same direction.

I don't know how many times I can say this.  Alnutt is a football guy.  The more he brings down MBB, the better Football looks.  When was the last time he did any sort of improvements for Hoops?  Football is getting something new every day over in their facility, while there have been zero improvements to Alumni Arena.

I am sure coaches are asking what his vision is for basketball and what capital projects are in the works. I am sure they can see how uncommitted he is

12 minutes ago, C1ubP1fanaticM7 said:

Just go back to Cohen, say we screwed up, and give him the six year contract that he wanted. This is ridiculous 

According to #sources it wasn’t the contract length. Others have hinted the issue, but I won’t say bc I haven’t confirmed. But it was of the personal family variety decision. Also, I believe SUNY max contract length is 5 years. But maybe someone can confirm that too?

Edited by DaBulls99
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BullBoy said:

I don't know how many times I can say this.  Alnutt is a football guy.  The more he brings down MBB, the better Football looks.  When was the last time he did any sort of improvements for Hoops?  Football is getting something new every day over in their facility, while there have been zero improvements to Alumni Arena.

I am sure coaches are asking what his vision is for basketball and what capital projects are in the works. I am sure they can see how uncommitted he is

It's honestly probably as simple as this and it's infuriating

3 minutes ago, BullBoy said:

You think if people contacted Alnutt with their concerns, maybe a petition of sorts he might listen? Not sure if he doesn’t know how to run bball or doesn’t care, but if people layed out a clear plan for him to go off of that’s supported in mass then who knows. 

Edited by Blue03
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Not at all.

This falls on the Admin.

You hire a search firm to be able to communicate prospective coaches outside of SUNY's FOIL requirements.  You use the search firm to cast a wider net.

Qualified candidates have been brought to UB.  They are looking for compensation in the range of what UB told the firm would be the target range.  Candidates have had an interest in working for UB.  

The issue is UB closing the deal.

This is on the admin for not understanding the market better.

As I said, quite literally their job is to match the pay range that the university supplies to qualified candidates, not sending Ben McCollum on a tour of Buffalo when I was told: "he might not like the weather here". 

I'm glad to hear you knock the admin though, that's not on brand for you so that's interesting. You would know and reference FOIL.

If they aren't even giving you candidates who will take your job, they are useless. 

1 minute ago, DaBulls99 said:

According to #sources it wasn’t the contract length. Others have hinted the issue, but I won’t say bc I haven’t confirmed. Also, I believe SUNY max contract length is 5 years. But maybe someone can confirm that too?

Yeah, two sides to that story between the contract length and actually moving here with his family

38 minutes ago, BullBoy said:

I don't know how many times I can say this.  Alnutt is a football guy.  The more he brings down MBB, the better Football looks.

Bit of a stretch to say that he's intentionally sabotaging the basketball program. 

40 minutes ago, BullBoy said:

But you're probably right about this part.

42 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

It's honestly probably as simple as this and it's infuriating

Let's take a look at three locker room photos here... MBB, Wrestling, Football..

The football locker room is on another level, but even our wrestling locker room is nicer than what we provide for basketball.

DwuafDMX4AAqck0.jpg

FB_Locker_Renovation_20200904fb_0372_web.jpg

EVBr8zOXQAA8ap2.jpg

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, BullBoy said:

Let's take a look at three locker room photos here... MBB, Wrestling, Football..

The football locker room is on another level, but even our wrestling locker room is nicer than what we provide for basketball.

DwuafDMX4AAqck0.jpg

EVBr8zOXQAA8ap2.jpg

Looks like some wrestling boosters donated enough for a nice little upgrade to the locker room. 

14 minutes ago, capencaper said:

Looks like some wrestling boosters donated enough for a nice little upgrade to the locker room. 

So then where is UB's development team trying to improve Alumni Arena?  Kids want nice things and they aren't seeing it when they walk into the basketball facilities.

We might all say that UB Stadium is an eye sore to watch a game, but those kids have top notch facilities they can use year round.  They don't worry as much about the stadium they play in six times a year.

On 3/18/2023 at 12:26 PM, MKBullsfan said:

The more this drags on the more I think we are on our 4th or 5th choice as the first 3 have said no thanks. I don’t think this is due diligence this is striking out. I believe this happened last time we did a coach search.

My post from 3/18 has aged quite well…and still aging

On 3/18/2023 at 12:26 PM, MKBullsfan said:

The more this drags on the more I think we are on our 4th or 5th choice as the first 3 have said no thanks. I don’t think this is due diligence this is striking out. I believe this happened last time we did a coach search.

The more this drags on the more impressed I am that Danny White managed to get Bobby Hurley to come here.

1 hour ago, BullBoy said:

DwuafDMX4AAqck0.jpg

EVBr8zOXQAA8ap2.jpg

Idk I like the basketball room over the wrestling room. Wrestling room is a cubby with some LED lights. Basketball locker room is a little older but larger lockers, carpet, seats, etc.