Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

George Halcovage III the next UB Men's Basketball Coach

Jeseph

5 minutes ago, admin said:

- It's better to take your time and get it right.

Things ended well. I hope our fans can also learn from this. There was no reason to declare that the sky was falling.

In this day and age with all the information out there I see how people can have a hard time being patient with a process like we just went through. But you also have to take all the random stuff floating around the Twitterverse with the proverbial grain of salt. After all that it seems like we found a solid coach who is hungry and motivated to succeed. 

2 hours ago, Jeseph said:

Short and to the point. A little miffed that he didn't mention me by name but he did acknowledge that he probably forgot some names so that was likely about me.

Cool to hear him talk so much about bridging connections with former players and honoring that network/"brotherhood" of bulls. He did also call out True Blue 🤘🏻

Not to mention your dog,that got him the job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Multiple things can be true at the same time. Did we only make one formal offer, sure. Did we interview many candidates, sure. Did talks with certain candidates go further than others, sure. Were some not even interviewed, sure. Were we used by certain candidates to boost their stock, sure. Personally all things I believe did happen. I don’t blame twitter or anyone, we got probably the best or close to the best candidate we were rumored to be around. Love the hire. And in the end the process was extensive and wide. We had a great pool of candidates and ultimately made the decision that I feel most of us here like and are excited about.

58 minutes ago, bullsbball said:

There has been a lot of negative comments about the UB Basketball program lately (up until the new coach was hired), but I'd be interested in what people think are UB's (basketball) positives that could be used to sell this program to somebody (i.e. coach, player, or fan). 

Is it the Arena, history, fan base, True Blue? 

I haven't watch the Coaches New Conference yet, but he seems to have the energy to promote this program.

I think our biggest selling point is that we typically win. Out of the last 15 seasons we have only had 2 losing seasons (one of which was barely below .500). In those seasons we have an overall record of 301-181 (.624 win %) and a conference record of 169-91 (.65). We have also made the tournament 4 times in the last 9 years.

For coaches specifically this is good because most coaches view mid major schools as a place to get themselves to a power conference, which has happened to 2 of our last 3 coaches. UB is clearly a school that has the resources to succeed in the MAC and get coaches closer to their ultimate goal. 

I remember back  in 2019 there was MAC coaches poll ranking all the jobs. They had our #1 selling point as Game Atmosphere. But obviously that has fallen off.

Conference-Chain-MAC.jpg

I think he will do great things here, seems truly energized to get going, I think he will try to surround himself with good coaching talent to work with him. I really liked his responses to the players. Similar to the discussion of coaching selections, player selection is the same. Just because a player is a great player doesn't mean he will be a great player for this coach or this scheme, they can both be true. If he can retain some of our talent that works for the vision of what he wants his program to be, great! If it's 100% turnover, so be it and I hope he find "his guys" to join him. I'm going in with a complete open mind at this point.

3 hours ago, UBinMD said:

I think he will do great things here, seems truly energized to get going, I think he will try to surround himself with good coaching talent to work with him. I really liked his responses to the players. Similar to the discussion of coaching selections, player selection is the same. Just because a player is a great player doesn't mean he will be a great player for this coach or this scheme, they can both be true. If he can retain some of our talent that works for the vision of what he wants his program to be, great! If it's 100% turnover, so be it and I hope he find "his guys" to join him. I'm going in with a complete open mind at this point.

Out of town now but did listen to Coach Halcovage III introduction and was impressed  with his impression of our area and what his direction is for the program. Any idea on what he was offered and was it a step down from what he was making at Villanova?? Will be interesting what kind of player he can recruit here both as freshmen and transfers. Will also be interesting to see how Alnutt and company can promote this hire and create more interest in both teams. Go Bulls!!!

BN story on the process

"The key points: The initial list of 25-30 candidates, which included Halcovage, was reduced to 15-20. … Hodgson, an assistant at Alabama, was not interviewed. … Alnutt made one trip out of town to meet with a candidate at an NCAA tournament site. … Following a series of Zoom interviews, six candidates were brought to Buffalo for visits. … Alnutt said one person turned down the job before Halcovage was hired."

He heard us, at least:

Alnutt told me. “I love the passion of our fans. There is no apathy when it comes to men’s basketball, which is phenomenal. Your fans are seeing or hearing and wondering, ‘What the heck is going on?’ ”

On Hodgson:

“He was on our radar, but didn’t get to the point he was one of those six (who visited campus),” Alnutt said. “He had his opportunity at Arkansas State, and we had a great conversation the day he got the job. I’m a Bryan Hodgson fan, and I look forward to seeing what he does at Arkansas State.”

Just now, RecoveringHillbilly said:

“He was on our radar, but didn’t get to the point he was one of those six (who visited campus),” Alnutt said. “He had his opportunity at Arkansas State, and we had a great conversation the day he got the job. I’m a Bryan Hodgson fan, and I look forward to seeing what he does at Arkansas State.”

Not sure I buy that 😂

• Haha 3

Why should UB Bulls and Buffalo fans care what a 37 year old first time Buffalo head coach thinks about Buffalo and Western New York? George Halcovage was born in 1986? He needs to be focused on winning a NCAA national championship for Buffalo and all of Western New York that is all that matters with George Halcovage to me. Connecticut Huskies Dan Hurley just won a national championship. UB alums have to be honest with themselves Connecticut isn’t happening as a state or really anything. There is no reason or excuse that the so called New York Public Power House the New York Flagship can’t win a NCAA national college basketball championship other than incompetence on UB athletics end along with the cheap UB donors incompetence. I saw Connecticut Huskies there like Syracuse Orange actually a little worse with drawing basketball fans I wasn’t impressed. Win college basketball games at all these Buffalo Big 4 schools never mind the endless amount of excuses in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

56 minutes ago, BrazenBull said:

Not sure I buy that 😂

You shouldn’t buy that anymore than when Mark Allnut thinks UB Bulls offers the best college basketball in Western New York. I couldn’t stop laughing at that what a ridiculous comment from a horrible incompetent athletics director that UB is stuck with.

UB Bulls AD Mark Allnut has got nothing done with UB Stadium even throw us a bone like a new video board for UB Stadium for the UB Bulls football fans ridiculous. St Bonaventure Bonnies are in the Atlantic 10 Conference with bigger city schools that have better college basketball television contracts the A-10 plays most of their games Saturday afternoon every week during the college basketball season. The Bonnies college basketball has way more tradition than UB Bulls in Western New York.

Most in Western New York see UB Bulls as a college football school not a college basketball school that belongs to the Bonnies coming from a Canisius alum who is objective and tells it like it is not some alternate reality spinning nonsense in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up

2 hours ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

BN story on the process

"The key points: The initial list of 25-30 candidates, which included Halcovage, was reduced to 15-20. … Hodgson, an assistant at Alabama, was not interviewed. … Alnutt made one trip out of town to meet with a candidate at an NCAA tournament site. … Following a series of Zoom interviews, six candidates were brought to Buffalo for visits. … Alnutt said one person turned down the job before Halcovage was hired."

He heard us, at least:

Alnutt told me. “I love the passion of our fans. There is no apathy when it comes to men’s basketball, which is phenomenal. Your fans are seeing or hearing and wondering, ‘What the heck is going on?’ ”

On Hodgson:

I don’t know what happened with Bryan Hodgson and UB Bulls basketball in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up

Does anyone know which players attended the press conference? He made reference to them, but never panned the camera to that area. Maybe they didn’t want to show them like they did at BB presser and then have the entire team leave again. Just curious as to who was there. 

4 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Does anyone know which players attended the press conference? He made reference to them, but never panned the camera to that area. Maybe they didn’t want to show them like they did at BB presser and then have the entire team leave again. Just curious as to who was there. 

Yea, I don't know who but:

6 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Yea, I don't know who but:

So there were 14 players on the roster, I'm assuming Ceasar didn't attend, Foster maybe not since he's graduating. Zid is doing his best to promote himself elsewhere on Twitter, so maybe not him. Not sure about Q, he may have solid loyalty to JW and if the LaSalle thing is true, he may have skipped the event. All in all, 10 out of 14 is a pretty solid showing and means at least some portal guys made the effort.

Wifey and I are alums. We go to a large number of men’s and women’s BB games and I never miss volleyball. I assume alumni are more likely to but season tickets to UB sports. I find it odd that the alumni folks did not inform us of the greeting of the new coach at AA. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 1975 said:

Wifey and I are alums. We go to a large number of men’s and women’s BB games and I never miss volleyball. I assume alumni are more likely to but season tickets to UB sports. I find it odd that the alumni folks did not inform us of the greeting of the new coach at AA. 

I got an email about it Friday or maybe over the weekend, odd you guys wouldn't have seen something.