Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jim Whitesell and UB Part Ways

Kevin

13 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

UB isn’t going to pay two men’s coaches. We barely pay the one we have. Plus the Alnutt is gonna have to commit money to FLJ this off-season if we have any hope of retaining her. Whitesell is under contract for 3 more seasons. UB won’t fire him bc we are trending down. Things have to bottom out more than this. Just the reality. 

This is spot on. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

Quick note - Rhode Island just gave Archie Miller a 5 year $8.5 million deal. Just for comparison sake. Annual salary ranges from $1.4-1.9 million throughout the deal. 

Sean Miller might be headed back to Xavier. And Kevin Willard may be headed to Maryland.

On 3/18/2022 at 10:47 PM, 121Merrimac said:

I really don’t care who the next coach will be.  My intent was to break the great ubfan divide.  Just because someone doesn’t slam a player twenty times every game thread, doesn’t mean they don’t want a better coach… as long as that coach is within budget. 

There are plenty of coaching options within budget. This wasn't a Whitesell or NAIA discussion. Heck, they hired a firm for no reason that they paid. There are plenty of coaches out there who will take 400k to head coach in a solid mid-major conference. 

There is no risk with the unknown, especially now. The risk is if you are worried about trading in Blocker for a reshuffle. I think it's worth it.  

1. Jared Grasso (head coach Bryant),
  2. Shaheen (~250k now)
  3. Steve Lavin (makes nothing as FOX analyst now)
  4. Desmond Oliver (ETSU)
  5. Dwayne Killings (Albany)
  6. ND's Antoni Wyche (up and coming)
  7. Tobin Anderson (head coach St. Thomas Aquinas)
  8. Gerry McNamara (up and coming)

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Kevin said:

There are plenty of coaching options within budget. This wasn't a Whitesell or NAIA discussion. Heck, they hired a firm for no reason that they paid. There are plenty of coaches out there who will take 400k to head coach in a solid mid-major conference. 

There is no risk with the unknown, especially now. The risk is if you are worried about trading in Blocker for a reshuffle. I think it's worth it.  

1. Jared Grasso (head coach Bryant),
  2. Shaheen (~250k now)
  3. Steve Lavin (makes nothing as FOX analyst now)
  4. Desmond Oliver (assistant coach Tennessee)
  5. Kyle Neptune (assistant coach Vilanova)
  6. Dwayne Killings (associate head coach Marquette
  7. Siena’s Antoni Wyche (up and coming)
  8. Tobin Anderson (head coach St. Thomas Aquinas)
  9. Gerry McNamara (up and coming)

Is this a serious list?  Some research might be a good idea.  You are a couple of years behind on where most of these people are. 

5 hours ago, Buffalobonnie said:

Is this a serious list?  Some research might be a good idea.  You are a couple of years behind on where most of these people are. 

Those were options throughout the process that I had done research on. Not this second, though I updated their current locations so that bonnies fans wont be confused. The university is not eating 600k buy out fee regardless of how much we would like a change.

Also congrats on your Patriots fan coach big timing your university for 1.8M with UMass. 

2 hours ago, clodney said:

The more I learn about Whitesell's contract extension, the more I want UB to get rid of Alnutt as well. 

Extension or not it is very easy after the fact that we underperformed  based on our predictions for this team. To blame the coach for so many of our players having negative years of course is what we all do. How about putting blame on our many players that did not live up to their expectations. There appeared to be something missing with this team from the get go but we still had our hopes that things would improve. It is the life of the ups and downs of a basketball season. This off season becomes very interesting in so many aspects so I guess we will have to stay tuned. Go Bulls!!!

2 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Would you agree that a coaches job is to hold his players accountable?

Absolutely, however, my family is full of teachers. I feel they are all very good teachers and have had lots of success and I hear from their former students and student's parents praising them, but there are years when their classrooms just don't "click". I just never felt our Seniors had that killer instinct and the push to win regardless of what the other team did like CJ and Perkins brought. I thought Mballa was going to be that guy this year and he regressed mightily. I don't want to attribute it all the the "visions of future pros" but I can't help but think there is something to that. Look at Graves and the beating he took on this board, justifiably so in many instances. Now he is a human highlight reel. Maybe it's all coaching and it's at JW's fault 99%, but the lack or personal accountability in the world now leads to a lot of disappointing outcomes. Somethings have to come from within that no coach can help with. Just my opinion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

Absolutely, however, my family is full of teachers. I feel they are all very good teachers and have had lots of success and I hear from their former students and student's parents praising them, but there are years when their classrooms just don't "click". I just never felt our Seniors had that killer instinct and the push to win regardless of what the other team did like CJ and Perkins brought. I thought Mballa was going to be that guy this year and he regressed mightily. I don't want to attribute it all the the "visions of future pros" but I can't help but think there is something to that. Look at Graves and the beating he took on this board, justifiably so in many instances. Now he is a human highlight reel. Maybe it's all coaching and it's at JW's fault 99%, but the lack or personal accountability in the world now leads to a lot of disappointing outcomes. Somethings have to come from within that no coach can help with. Just my opinion.

All good thoughts to ponder. In sports just like life you can teach, preach, show by example but a player or person has to make decisions and perform when the time comes and have to learn from their mistakes. I truly believe that all kids play because of the love of a sport and can learn life lessons from their ups and downs when playing. Go Bulls!!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Is there a husband/wife coaching tandem we could lure to UB to takeover our basketball program?

Carly Thibault-DuDonis and Blake DuDonis (former UB assistant). Though they're both women's coaches.