Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jim Whitesell and UB Part Ways

Kevin

16 minutes ago, enrique14150 said:

I don't have to imagine it - I was there.  Sea of Blue I and II.  It blew away any crowds during the top-25 season.

Agreed.... I actually think the marketing during the Top 25 year was awful, but they didn't have to work very hard to put butts in the seats.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BullBoy said:

Agreed.... I actually think the marketing during the Top 25 year was awful, but they didn't have to work very hard to put butts in the seats.

I DO AGREE. During those great runs the team and coach marketed itself and of course the news covered both teams more because of all the hype. Coverage in the news today was good but of course it was a rather slow sports day for the Bills and the Sabres losing again. It does not seem like Alnutt and company can or want to market the teams. Penny wise and pound foolish. Last night’s game was suppose to be Veterans appreciation day?? As far as I know they marketed the game on their website. Common sense would be to promote with all veterans half off tickets?? Our family still enjoy local college basketball but not sure if we will ever get the excitement level back but again we enjoyed the years when UB was in the limelight. Go Bulls!!!

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I was there too. Original sea of blue. Mighty maniac. 

I still have my mighty maniac long sleeve shirt with the old bulls head logo on it. Those were great times that I don't think will ever happen again. It's a new era. New players, new marketing, new budget, and even a new arena (wooden bleachers!). You're only a new program once.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2023 at 4:04 PM, clodney said:

I still have my mighty maniac long sleeve shirt with the old bulls head logo on it. Those were great times that I don't think will ever happen again. It's a new era. New players, new marketing, new budget, and even a new arena (wooden bleachers!). You're only a new program once.

MIGHTY TACO!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

This team has talent but no idea what's expected of them. It's basically playground ball out there. We have to move on.

Players appear to get lots of freedom in the offense. It's definitely a system that I'd want to play in. Unfortunately it hasn't worked out well this year.

6 minutes ago, Chet said:

Players appear to get lots of freedom in the offense. It's definitely a system that I'd want to play in. Unfortunately it hasn't worked out well this year.

This year? Since Whitesell took over! He is too much of a player’s coach. Too much. Allows them to have too much freedom. And seemingly, from afar, is afraid to be more authoritative. He is the perfect assistant. A good cop to someone else’s bad cop. Sometimes a gentleman isn’t a great leader. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Erie County said:

If he goes 1 and done in Cleveland, is that it for him? 

I guess if they were 5-24 or something like that, it would be unlikely but still a maybe.  

However, the team will be within hailing distance of .500, so he isn’t going anywhere.   Nothing in how this AD/President combo tells me that they want to spend money on buying out this coach AND spending money to attract the next coach. 

What does this all mean?  It means that this particular thread will continue on for the foreseeable future…