Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jim Whitesell and UB Part Ways

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, UBlearns said:

Worse than the Dartmouth and Army debacles.  It'd be tough for anyone to argue this isn't the worst loss of the Whitesell coaching era.

Id argue the Kent st game last season

Believe it was something like Up 6 with 2 minutes left......end up losing by 6 without Kent scoring a fg 

• Like 1

I’m not sure where to put this so I guess I will put it here. Besides the fact that Whiteaell clearly can’t motivate this team to come out strong in a first half, I can’t stand how some of the players act on social media.

I’m not that old yet (almost 30), but I am seeing players post pictures on IG stories of the game. What kind of attitude is this? It might just be this generation, but what is wrong with them? If my teams ever lost any games when I was younger, you bet your ass we were not posting pictures or highlights of the game anytime soon. Such a loser/selfish mentality. “We lost to a garbage team, but I had a good dunk so I want everyone on Instagram to see me look cool, who cares that we lost.” Maybe if this team was more focused on fundamentals and winning instead of highlights and social media they wouldn’t constantly come out flat thinking they are better than their opponents. 

Okay sorry, rant over.

• Like 1

My oh my how we forget the story that was just published this week by Jerry Sullivan. You could either have Whitesell with the current group of guys (Segu, Williams, Mballa) or we could have had them all leave (or not come) after Oats left. Not the best coach but we should probably be thankful he kept the team together to even have a shot at this this year. 

19 minutes ago, bulls2684 said:

My oh my how we forget the story that was just published this week by Jerry Sullivan. You could either have Whitesell with the current group of guys (Segu, Williams, Mballa) or we could have had them all leave (or not come) after Oats left. Not the best coach but we should probably be thankful he kept the team together to even have a shot at this this year. 

It’s not a guarantee they would be worse *right now* if the whole team had departed three years ago. Nate Oats took over a depleted roster and look how he rebuilt the program.

Yes, I realize that Oats is a special, generational coach but whoever inherited the position was going to takeover a program with a ton of momentum behind it and an active recruiting pipeline with players eager to play for a top tier mid-major.

Hindsight, would you have taken a mediocre, retread head coach guaranteed to have a young talented roster or taken a risk on a highly motivated, talented young coach with unknowns regarding your team?

I’m not going to answer and will let everyone decide for themselves but it’s not as clear cut as some make it out to be. If they don’t make the NCAA Tournament this year, we’ll have the answer.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

It all comes down to risk. Whitesell was the safe play to keep the young talented roster together.

It was a short term play, banking on the young players keeping the program at a high level. So far, they’ve succeeded based on UB’s previous standards but have regressed (which was gonna happen regardless) from where the Oats teams were at towards the end.

The real question is if fans would’ve accepted falling flat if they hired a young, flashy coach that didn’t work out. We would’ve called out the program for not hiring someone internally who would’ve kept the program together.

So, it was a lose-lose situation either way but I can guarantee almost no one in the fanbase ever expected or wanted Jim Whitesell to be “the guy” regardless of his resume, merits and ability to keep the roster together.

Almost unanimously, the reaction was: “He’s a nice guy. Will keep the roster together. Hope it works.”

Whether the positive posters on this board like it or not, there’s a faction of the fanbase turning on Whitesell and the team and that won’t be good for the long term health of UB basketball if they continue to struggle.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

44 minutes ago, SGBull said:

I’m not sure where to put this so I guess I will put it here. Besides the fact that Whiteaell clearly can’t motivate this team to come out strong in a first half, I can’t stand how some of the players act on social media.

I’m not that old yet (almost 30), but I am seeing players post pictures on IG stories of the game. What kind of attitude is this? It might just be this generation, but what is wrong with them? If my teams ever lost any games when I was younger, you bet your ass we were not posting pictures or highlights of the game anytime soon. Such a loser/selfish mentality. “We lost to a garbage team, but I had a good dunk so I want everyone on Instagram to see me look cool, who cares that we lost.” Maybe if this team was more focused on fundamentals and winning instead of highlights and social media they wouldn’t constantly come out flat thinking they are better than their opponents. 

Okay sorry, rant over.

It’s the generation. Something us “older” folks have to live with. Gone are the days where winning made you popular and famous. Now you are famous before you win. Back in the day it was Felipe Lopez on the cover of SI before he ever played a college game. Now it’s high schoolers posting on social and NIL only emboldening them more. We can hate Syracuse and Boeheim all we want but remember when he said that we talk to much on the court? Or something like that, well he was right…these players are quick to flex or trash talk or pump their chest over a dunk when they are still down in a game. Then run and post that highlight after they’ve lost that game.

Whitesell has failed. Period. Keeping a roster together is great, but not if the roster underachieves every chance it gets for 3 years straight. The question is not whether the move was right at the time. I still think it was… at the prospect of keeping a talented group together. But fast forward 3 years, and now the writing is on the wall:

- Can’t motivate a talented group. Constant inconsistency and discipline.

- Oversees the regression of individual players… Williams and graves

- Terrible In game coach.

- 0 prospects in pipe that can keep UB above 100. Perhaps I am missing something here and we have an ace up sleeve, but I don’t see it. 

Whitesell is damaged goods. We must move on before we give him anymore time to squander a rebuild. A rebuild that is needed because he didn’t bring in anything over 3 years to succeed oats work all while failing to reach the potential left behind. 

Edited by UBminicre
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SGBull said:

Okay sorry, rant over.

796782612_Screenshot_20211219-0618462.thumb.png.cbb3f67e5892dd36aeace89de0154852.png

I don't always lose to one of the worst D1 teams, but when I do, I make sure everyone knows about the awesome play I made...

Sorry I have no patience for that...Perhaps sit that individual for at least first half of UCI game.

7 hours ago, bulls2684 said:

Also for all the complaints about recruiting, had the best 2021 class in the MAC apparently, this doesn’t include Curtis Jones as he was a transfer 

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=MAC

I’ll believe it when I see it. Again, he’s been our coach 3 years. Not one player providing much impact on our roster is from whitesell… how can that not worry you? Even the most positive person has to wonder why one player wouldn’t garner any minutes from the head coach after 3years. 

Edited by UBminicre

The roster he held together lost to canisius in a game where they had to come back from down 12. So please tell me more about how thankful we should be for that.

I’d also like to hear some votes of confidence for this coach that do not involve the 2 weeks after he was hired. What has he done since and what does he seem ready to do in the future?

• Like 1