Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Kidtrell Blocker

Have seen his name on our radar since his sophomore year. Hopefully the staff has built strong relationship before the high majors started moving in. With our need at guard moving forward, plus the success of fellow Rochester product Jeenathan here, it would be disappointing to let him slip away.

• Like 2

Will be tough to grab, he’s best friends with Siena’s Jalen Pickett, who also offered Blocker. He only has few high major programs that offered and likely he’d be a decent bench player for them. Would love to grab him for this recruiting class along with Zaakir

1 hour ago, ub2019 said:

Looks like Kansas State and UNLV in the last 2 weeks have popped up in the mix, that's not looking too good for us. 
image.thumb.png.ef87946628fa3fc5d606dbb53017b7fd.png

And a forecast on Rivals predicting he's gonna commit to KSU.

16 minutes ago, C1ubP1fanaticM7 said:

What would the difference in time on court be like in comparison to UB vs. KSU/Iowa State? It seems to me like he has to potential to seriously contribute at UB as an incoming Freshman. Can the same be said for those programs? What does their guard depth look like?

Coaches will tell him he will be a key contributor day one. The question is does he believe them and does he feel he can outplay those in front of him. Most kids do, but then get buried on the bench. No matter your rating, the proof comes when you get there and see how things play out on the court and the all important chemistry.

Very true. Arguably, UB and Bonnie are the best programs that he has offers from. I understand KSU and Iowa State are power five but they were the two worst teams in the Big 12 this year. Based on our lack of depth at guard and our programs success, we’re the best fit for him. I don’t think that matters though unfortunately.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Blocker signing with the coach that picked GSU also would be fun.

Funny how he was a “candidate” for our job and now we are battling him for recruits. I don’t think it’s the first time either. I put candidate in quotes bc was he seriously considered? Or was it always Whitesell’s job to lose?

Is UB really "battling" him for this player or not? Does anyone here actually know if we are greatly interested in him or anyone else? When Mballa (and others) showed up, no one really knew anything in advance, he just was announced as coming. If we are after him, great, if not, there's plenty of others out there. There's no reason to be freaking out in March when there's almost a thousand guys in the portal along with lots of Juco players and countless unsigned seniors. Just let it play out and get behind those who both sign and show up on campus.

• Like 4

Just now, skrabukes said:

Is UB really "battling" him for this player or not? Does anyone here actually know if we are greatly interested in him or anyone else? When Mballa (and others) showed up, no one really knew anything in advance, he just was announced as coming. If we are after him, great, if not, there's plenty of others out there. There's no reason to be freaking out in March when there's almost a thousand guys in the portal along with lots of Juco players and countless unsigned seniors. Just let it play out and get behind those who both sign and show up on campus.

See this isn't fair to me. Most of the board's anxiety about roster/recruiting is coming from a legitimate lack of media coverage. It is disconcerting that programs much smaller (and larger) than ours have regular recruiting news published. VerbalCommits isn't the end all be all I know, but ours is essentially bare.

We're well beyond the years of showing up to Alumni in the fall and saying "gee we've got some new players this year, who are they?" UB is consistently a top-75 program in the country and in a larger media market than most. The lack of coverage of the program is truly disappointing. We have a couple part-timers who are more fans than professionals covering the team. 

Not trying to come after you, just felt like an opportunity to distill some thoughts.

12 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

See this isn't fair to me. Most of the board's anxiety about roster/recruiting is coming from a legitimate lack of media coverage. It is disconcerting that programs much smaller (and larger) than ours have regular recruiting news published. VerbalCommits isn't the end all be all I know, but ours is essentially bare.

We're well beyond the years of showing up to Alumni in the fall and saying "gee we've got some new players this year, who are they?" UB is consistently a top-75 program in the country and in a larger media market than most. The lack of coverage of the program is truly disappointing. We have a couple part-timers who are more fans than professionals covering the team. 

Not trying to come after you, just felt like an opportunity to distill some thoughts.

I don't disagree with anything that you said. Who are the ones that should be covering the "offers" or figuring out who the coaches are reaching out to? Who covers Bona, Ohio or Pitt and gives the insider info? 

11 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

I don't disagree with anything that you said. Who are the ones that should be covering the "offers" or figuring out who the coaches are reaching out to? Who covers Bona, Ohio or Pitt and gives the insider info? 

I'd assume sports journalists or committed fans/amateurs. Ohio has 5x more targets listed on VerbalCommits than us. Either our offers aren't happening, or they're not getting reported.

38 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

I'd assume sports journalists or committed fans/amateurs. Ohio has 5x more targets listed on VerbalCommits than us. Either our offers aren't happening, or they're not getting reported.

I totally get as a fan that the current approach taken and lack of public recruiting info causes consternation for us fans. We all want to see who is joining the team and move on to next phase of talking prospects for upcoming season.

My question would be does the difference in approach help or hurt?   Meaning, if Ohio having 15 recruits vs our 3 recruits for next year, are they more likely to get better recruits? Are we able to tell 3 public recruits, you are our guys easier? How many of the 15 are they actively pursuing?  Just trying to understand differing philosophies and which is best.

1 minute ago, DocCas86 said:

Well that settles it - if you are angry...clearly an inferior approach 😆

It's 2021, we're the top team in a solid conference for a decade now, and we get news like it's 2001. We have less recruiting insight than any relevant peer program I can think of. But yeah roll out the dismissive hyperbole... 🙄

And re: the comment about strategy and publicizing offers. I don't think any kid these days is trying to keep his offers private. In fact most kids post their offers themselves, which then inevitably makes it's way to VerbalCommits. And that's why people think that we don't actually have many offers out there....

5 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

It's 2021, we're the top team in a solid conference for a decade now, and we get news like it's 2001. We have less recruiting insight than any relevant peer program I can think of. But yeah roll out the dismissive hyperbole... 🙄

And re: the comment about strategy and publicizing offers. I don't think any kid these days is trying to keep his offers private. In fact most kids post their offers themselves, which then inevitably makes it's way to VerbalCommits. And that's why people think that we don't actually have many offers out there....

Sorry for trying to be funny  in response to Merrimac being funny.  Was not meant to be dismissive hyperbole.  

As far as offers, fair point about recruits making their offers public, so yes probably no offers currently out there.  So asking my question differently is there a benefit to being more liberal or less liberal with offers.   Is it possible taking time to find the best fit?

2 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Verbal Commits and others are out there every minute scouring for offers. 

We don't need it reported because the players themselves report every single offer they get. It's part of the process for them. It'd lean way more toward "offers aren't happening". I think saying that they are taking their time due to past misses holds way more water than "secret we dont know about it offers".