Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Kidtrell Blocker

Kansas St has been horrible for the past 2 years. Georgia St isn’t in as good a conference as the MAC. If he’s thinking Bona, he’s not going to get much playing time next year with Lofton and Welch. Maybe he looks at Buffalo and sees Segu, Brewton, Jack, and possibly Nickleberry clogging the lane. 6’ 5” for a guard? Come on home, baby.

3 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Rob lanier still has a lot of pull in upstate New york

Yep. Could see this coming a bit when Kidtrell tagged Lanier's personal twitter handle in announcing the offer. It will be interesting to follow his career at Ga St. 

42 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Yep. Could see this coming a bit when Kidtrell tagged Lanier's personal twitter handle in announcing the offer. It will be interesting to follow his career at Ga St. 

Wouldn’t be surprising if Gaines goes to Ga St too. And definitely will follow his coaching career bc he could’ve had our job correct? Wasn’t he considered? A finalist? And to this point since getting the job we’ve competed for recruits.

Edited by DooleyBull06

3 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Good for him.  Who really cares? Let's not pretend that he's Lebron or Jordan. There are hundreds more like him out there. Until they're signed and here,  it's all guesswork for all of us here. The staff will fill the slots, let it happen.

I care. We’ve never recruited LeBron or Jordan level players in our entire history. He’s a very talented, big guard - a position we sorely need more depth in and we were beat out by Georgia State. You’re certainly right about the staff filling in the needed slots, but this stings especially since he’s from Rochester and knows Jeenathan. Recruiting lagging behind again in my eyes 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Good for him.  Who really cares? Let's not pretend that he's Lebron or Jordan. There are hundreds more like him out there. Until they're signed and here,  it's all guesswork for all of us here. The staff will fill the slots, let it happen.

Yeah I mean, why spend two hours watching the game when you can just read about it in the paper the next morning?

Same conversation as last weekend. We're a big enough program now that many fans expect to follow recruiting at least somewhat. It's a good sign and entirely normal.

Echoing @961819, I'm a little disappointed that a big guard who got P5 offers, who grew up in WNY during our peak years, wasn't compelled to join the program. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 961819 said:

I care. We’ve never recruited LeBron or Jordan level players in our entire history. He’s a very talented, big guard - a position we sorely need more depth in and we were beat out by Georgia State. You’re certainly right about the staff filling in the needed slots, but this stings especially since he’s from Rochester and knows Jeenathan. Recruiting lagging behind again in my eyes 

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

Yeah I mean, why spend two hours watching the game when you can just read about it in the paper the next morning?

Same conversation as last weekend. We're a big enough program now that many fans expect to follow recruiting at least somewhat. It's a good sign and entirely normal.

Echoing @961819, I'm a little disappointed that a big guard who got P5 offers, who grew up in WNY during our peak years, wasn't compelled to join the program. 

Until we see what signings (and players who actually show up), I really don't care about "misses", and that includes Lanier, who I couldn't care less about at Ga St. Again, if we add no players (and that certainly won't be the case), then I'll be worried and upset. It's April 2, thousands of players out there, many of whom are surely better than this guy. None of us here even know this guy, so we have no idea if he's a good guy or not, all we've seen is his tape (and to be honest I haven't even seen that). Just let the whole thing play out and see what happens before passing judgment. The "very talented, big guard" argument can be said for many. CJ went unsigned by anyone until summer, and was essentially unheralded and he turned out okay. Whether we get "big stars" or "unheralded guys", the staff needs to develop the guys they get. Thus far, they've done a decent job with some (Mballa, Hardnett, and pretty much any of the team's top 8 minus a senior or two who were the butts of negative comments all season), while others levelled off (Brewton who seemed to be hurt most of the year and Gallion, who now is gone). 

17 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Until we see what signings (and players who actually show up), I really don't care about "misses", and that includes Lanier, who I couldn't care less about at Ga St. Again, if we add no players (and that certainly won't be the case), then I'll be worried and upset. It's April 2, thousands of players out there, many of whom are surely better than this guy. None of us here even know this guy, so we have no idea if he's a good guy or not, all we've seen is his tape (and to be honest I haven't even seen that). Just let the whole thing play out and see what happens before passing judgment. The "very talented, big guard" argument can be said for many. CJ went unsigned by anyone until summer, and was essentially unheralded and he turned out okay. Whether we get "big stars" or "unheralded guys", the staff needs to develop the guys they get. Thus far, they've done a decent job with some (Mballa, Hardnett, and pretty much any of the team's top 8 minus a senior or two who were the butts of negative comments all season), while others levelled off (Brewton who seemed to be hurt most of the year and Gallion, who now is gone). 

This is why recruiting news is so dangerous. We hear about someone, see a few clips, their best moments (none of their bonehead moments) then we get disappointed we don't sign someone that may not have ended up great for us anyway. We all clamor for news, they get disappointed we don't sign all 30 people we offer. I say I wish the kid well and I'll focus my attention on the next option. I'm honestly more intrigued with Cone and the connection with his brother. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, skrabukes said:

None of us here even know this guy, so we have no idea if he's a good guy or not

Incorrect, speak for yourself, not for me.

2 hours ago, skrabukes said:

all we've seen is his tape (and to be honest I haven't even seen that). 

So you haven’t seen what he has to offer but are still forming opinions of his ability based off of........ what exactly?

Edit: To clarify, I don’t think the sky is falling when it comes to recruiting. It’s been an extremely abnormal year for recruiting with Covid changing everything. Even Nate Oats missed on numerous prospects so having Kidtrell commit elsewhere isn’t the end of the world. With that being said I also don’t appreciate the narrative of “who cares? Just trust in the coaching staff, they’ll figure it out.” When the current staff has only hit on 1 or 2 out of their numerous recruits so far. Having unrealistically high expectations is one thing, being completely nonchalant about poor staff performance is another.

Edited by 961819
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, 961819 said:

Incorrect, speak for yourself, not for me.

So you haven’t seen what he has to offer but are still forming opinions of his ability based off of........ what exactly?

Then I guess you should be on the staff. Please enlighten us with your coaching/ athletic background and knowledge. This way we all can learn. This player must be the only one out there and now we aren't going to have a full roster. Maybe he went to Ga State because they aren't as good as UB (UB 77 and GS 155 last year in kenpom or maybe he wanted a lesser league challenge with sunbelt having 4 teams in top 200 of net vs mac with 8) and he feels he'll get more playing time/better stats. Since you know him so well, please give us the reason why he chose them over us so that we can close this thread.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Then I guess you should be on the staff. Please enlighten us with your coaching/ athletic background and knowledge. This way we all can learn. This player must be the only one out there and now we aren't going to have a full roster. Maybe he went to Ga State because they aren't as good as UB (UB 77 and GS 155 last year in kenpom or maybe he wanted a lesser league challenge with sunbelt having 4 teams in top 200 of net vs mac with 😎 and he feels he'll get more playing time/better stats. Since you know him so well, please give us the reason why he chose them over us so that we can close this thread.

What a joke of a response. Just because I know Kidtrell means I should be a D1 coach? Get over yourself lol. Also if you realized the coaching/athletic experience I actually have you wouldn’t have responded so smugly. I’m not going to publicly identify myself on here though. 

I’m also a HUGE fan of you ignoring my further comment. Guess it didn’t fit the narrative you have in your head huh?

Edited by 961819
  • Like 1

Just now, 961819 said:

What a joke of a response. Just because I know Kidtrell means I should be a D1 coach? Get over yourself lol. Also if you realized the coaching/athletic experience I actually have you wouldn’t have responded so smugly. I’m not going to publicly identify myself on here though. 

You didn't answer the questions or provide any further insight on this player. Like usual, you just provide negativity. Again, since you are so knowledgeable,  please enlighten the rest of us.

6 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

You didn't answer the questions or provide any further insight on this player. Like usual, you just provide negativity. Again, since you are so knowledgeable,  please enlighten the rest of us.

Let me ask you, how does me knowing Kidtrell mean I know the reasons for his decision? Does me knowing him automatically mean I know every single thing about him? Want me to tell you his favorite color and his hopes and dreams too? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 961819 said:

To clarify, I don’t think the sky is falling when it comes to recruiting. It’s been an extremely abnormal year for recruiting with Covid changing everything. Even Nate Oats missed on numerous prospects so having Kidtrell commit elsewhere isn’t the end of the world.

This is proper attitude.  I know JW has his detractors, but I think we are all wishing for his success and by extension the teams success.

For example, I would love for him to find a way to get  Cone to commit to UB and do so in a way that keeps talent we already have happy.  There may be other paths to success...let's keep rooting for them.  Especially since things likely got tougher with Ohio getting Carter back.

Edited by DocCas86
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, UBinMD said:

This is why recruiting news is so dangerous. We hear about someone, see a few clips, their best moments (none of their bonehead moments) then we get disappointed we don't sign someone that may not have ended up great for us anyway. We all clamor for news, they get disappointed we don't sign all 30 people we offer. I say I wish the kid well and I'll focus my attention on the next option. I'm honestly more intrigued with Cone and the connection with his brother. 

If this guy was a target, then this is bad news. If not, and it was just a flyer on a kid who had some potential then no biggie. We’re into April so it’s time to start landing a recruit and get some momentum going.