Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Nate Oats and Alabama

7 hours ago, MuchMany said:

It's the most dominant CBB two years in a very long time if they finish it off Monday, which I think they will easily. If Clingan cancels out Edey, UConn is 100% superior. And I hate UConn and hate to say itย ๐Ÿ˜‚

ย 

I always hated them too, but now one of my kids goes there and all the winning has started to grow on me ๐Ÿ˜‚

The winning vibe/culture/pride is palpable around campus, something it would be nice to see at UB if we could ever get it together ย on that kind of level. ๐Ÿค˜

Edited by Bluebird96

Can't help but think if you're a college coach watching these games... how do you not adapt this style of play that Oats instilled here and continued at Alabama? Final score not representative of that game at all.

It'd be one thing if Oats left UB for a middling SEC team and proved to be in way over his head by making them worse, but man, has he done the total opposite. Hard to be mad at a guy for "leaving" when he proves it.

GH3... you watching?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eyjee said:

Can't help but think if you're a college coach watching these games... how do you not adapt this style of play that Oats instilled here and continued at Alabama? Final score not representative of that game at all.

It'd be one thing if Oats left UB for a middling SEC team and proved to be in way over his head by making them worse, but man, has he done the total opposite. Hard to be mad at a guy for "leaving" when he proves it.

GH3... you watching?

3โ€™s and at the rim. The amount of long contested 2โ€™s I watched GHIIIโ€™s guys shoot drove me nuts. ย This coupled with the horrendous defense with slower perimeter players was a perfect recipe for the season we had.ย 

8 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

I always hated them too, but now one of my kids goes there and all the winning has started to grow on me ๐Ÿ˜‚

The winning vibe/culture/pride is palpable around campus, something it would be nice to see at UB if we could ever get it together ย on that kind of level. ๐Ÿค˜

The university subsidizes the UConn athletic dept to the tune of $40-50 million per year bc they deem it important. Itโ€™s just priorities.ย 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

The university subsidizes the UConn athletic dept to the tune of $40-50 million per year bc they deem it important. Itโ€™s just priorities.ย 

Iโ€™m no economist, but I have to imagine the $$ their menโ€™s and womenโ€™s programs bring in from TV, merch sales, etc would offset a good a chunk of that. ย That is, after the Big East gets their cut.

39 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

Itโ€™s just as you said, priorities. SUNY and Buffalo have prioritized academics and research money. Athletics was just a part of the college experience. As I said before, we never went โ€œall-inโ€ when we went D1 and that has continued. Number of applications has never been an issue, so they donโ€™t believe getting more eyes on the athletics will help in that respect. They obviously also donโ€™t think making that investment into top end athletics will be being enough additional money to make a difference. If the next UB president is a big fan of college athletics, maybe it will change. That type of push needs to come from that level.

3 hours ago, Chet said:

3โ€™s and at the rim. The amount of long contested 2โ€™s I watched GHIIIโ€™s guys shoot drove me nuts. ย This coupled with the horrendous defense with slower perimeter players was a perfect recipe for the season we had.ย 

Every mid-range fadeaway jumper Chatman and Adams took this year killed me inside.

3 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

Iโ€™m no economist, but I have to imagine the $$ their menโ€™s and womenโ€™s programs bring in from TV, merch sales, etc would offset a good a chunk of that. ย That is, after the Big East gets their cut.

Nope. The athletic dept runs a $40-50 million deficit, even after all that. The university covers the deficit to balance the books.ย 

9 hours ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

If Kentucky is willing to pay his MASSIVE buyout

18 million dollar buyout. We will see how badly Kentucky wants him.ย 

Question is: Does Nate want Kentucky and all the baggage of expectations that come with it?

Edited by DooleyBull06

2 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

18 million dollar buyout. We will see how badly Kentucky wants him.ย 

Question is: Does Nate want Kentucky and all the baggage of expectations that come with it?

Those are the two big questions right now. I think Oats could become one of the best coaches of this generation if he goes to Kentucky. Knowing how much he cares about winning, it's hard for me to see him turning down that type of opportunity.

34 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Those are the two big questions right now. I think Oats could become one of the best coaches of this generation if he goes to Kentucky. Knowing how much he cares about winning, it's hard for me to see him turning down that type of opportunity.

What can Kentucky offer that Alabama canโ€™t? Seriously. I know Kentucky is the โ€œblue bloodโ€, but Bama has just as many dollars to offer. Oats just went toe to toe with the likely back to back champion in the Final Four. Clearly he can do it at Bama too.ย 

16 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

What can Kentucky offer that Alabama canโ€™t? Seriously. I know Kentucky is the โ€œblue bloodโ€, but Bama has just as many dollars to offer. Oats just went toe to toe with the likely back to back champion in the Final Four. Clearly he can do it at Bama too.ย 

Kentucky basketball is the equivalent of Alabama football. We're talking about a school that's potentially willing to pay an $18 million buyout and possibly give Oats a substantial raise over what's already an incredible contract.ย 

Oats is an amazing coach and recruiter at a school like Bama. Imagine would he could do at a Blue Blood. I'm not exaggerating when I say this... He could be one of the best head coaches of this generation if he takes the Kentucky job.

I'm talking about someone that could win multiple National Championships and be remembered as an all-time great among the likes of Roy Williams, Coach K and Rick Pitino.

ย 

There isn't even a comparison between Kentucky and Alabama outside of resources. The question is whether Oats wants to stay with the project he built or be the star coach at probably the top job in the nation.

Kentucky vs. Alabama:

17 Final Fours to 1

8 National Championships to none

Blue Blood vs. solid SEC program

22 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

Winning a championship in Alabama is significant for both the school and Oats. Not winning a championship in Kentucky would be significant for both the school and Oats if he went there.ย 

Alabama can compete and probably offer more on every level except history. It's also an 18 million buyout, plus a significant jump in salary to make Oats think about moving. Base on SI, his new contract is top 5 at 5 million a year. He has a huge contract with a huge buyout. Saban is gone. He is now the face of 'Bama sports.ย 

26 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

Winning a championship in Alabama is significant for both the school and Oats. Not winning a championship in Kentucky would be significant for both the school and Oats if he went there.ย 

Alabama can compete and probably offer more on every level except history. It's also an 18 million buyout, plus a significant jump in salary to make Oats think about moving. Base on SI, his new contract is top 5 at 5 million a year. He has a huge contract with a huge buyout. Saban is gone. He is now the face of 'Bama sports.ย 

Your top point is significant. The question is whether or not Oats truly cares about that. We know he says he does but he also discussed turning UB into the Gonzaga of the east and that was all talk.

Oats is good enough to win a title at Alabama which would make him a God down there. At Kentucky, they'd get upset if he didn't eventually win one. The difference is that it's fairly easy to have UK in contention every year. It's not that simple to do that at Bama even though he's had them in the NCAA Tournament four consecutive years.

He could absolutely stay at Alabama and would continue to succeed. Will be interesting how everything plays out.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

I think the allure of coaching a top college program is not what it used to be. Itโ€™s changed since the NIL and more schools have money to pay coaches. The winning is not guaranteed anymore. Everyone is buying players these days and players can get paid sooner so development is not a priority. Cal saw he was getting exposed and not winning anymore so he bailed. He just took a 5 year deal to bridge him to retirement.ย 

2 hours ago, MKBullsfan said:

I think the allure of coaching a top college program is not what it used to be. Itโ€™s changed since the NIL and more schools have money to pay coaches. The winning is not guaranteed anymore. Everyone is buying players these days and players can get paid sooner so development is not a priority. Cal saw he was getting exposed and not winning anymore so he bailed. He just took a 5 year deal to bridge him to retirement.ย 

Calipari is heading to an Arkansas program that's giving him a $5 million/year NIL budget and leaving Kentucky where he was feeling the heat. He was also looking into the Ohio State vacancy a little while back according to reports.

The Blue Blood jobs are still alluring but you're right that some coaches don't want the added pressure at those type of schools.

ย 

7 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Calipari is heading to an Arkansas program that's giving him a $5 million/year NIL budget and leaving Kentucky where he was feeling the heat. He was also looking into the Ohio State vacancy a little while back according to reports.

The Blue Blood jobs are still alluring but you're right that some coaches don't want the added pressure at those type of schools.

ย 

Looks like Hurley is Kentuckyโ€™s plan A. Not sure what his buyout is, but itโ€™s likely significant. Oats could be plan B

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

Looks like Hurley is Kentuckyโ€™s plan A. Not sure what his buyout is, but itโ€™s likely significant. Oats could be plan B

Danny Hurley seems like a perfect fit at UConn, doesn't come across like a Kentucky coach in my opinionย 

Oates on the other hand to me screams Kentuckyย 

• Like 2

I am not sure that I would want to follow Calipari.ย  Leaves UMass followed by NCAA violations.ย  Leaves Memphis Followed by NCAA violations.ย  Leaves Kentucky...

I think the only head coaching job he had that he left that was not sanctioned by the NCAA was the Nets.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tee4three said:

Danny Hurley seems like a perfect fit at UConn, doesn't come across like a Kentucky coach in my opinionย 

I would agree but they are talking $17 million/year to surpass Self. Either way heโ€™s getting a raise, especially if they win tonightย 

5 hours ago, Tee4three said:

Hurley is 51 years old. The farthest heโ€™s been from Jersey City is where he is now. Heโ€™s not going anywhere. Oates just assured Bama that heโ€™s staying put. Billy Donovan?