Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Nate Oats and Alabama

2 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Oats is forward thinking. Very into analytics and demands defense. He knows who he is, what he wants and where he wants to go. And he recruits to that. No knock on Whitesell but Oats is missed. Wish more had been done to try to keep him.

I just appreciate that we had him for as long as we did. It was great. I think UB tried really hard to convince him to stay, just about anything they could but the money and pull of Bama wasn't going to be beat.

Thats why after the dust settled I have nothing against him and no issues, only appreciation for we had.

I dont have the same fondness for Hurley though even tho he got our first and brought in Oats, something about Nates tenure will stick more long term... and it was also sweet beating Bobby in the tournament like we did.

• Like 2

Nate should 100% be considered amongst the country’s best. The man flat out knows how to coach and get the most out of his team. I don’t know if he’ll stay at Alabama for long, one of the blue bloods could be calling soon or an even bigger school. We were lucky to have him here for as long as we did and set us up for success. 

Edited by Bill

3 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Funny thing with Nate is, I always thought he’d be coaching in the NBA eventually. He’s that ambitious. 

I think he has the mind for it, but I'm not sure he's got enough coaching under his belt to have the NBA calling quite yet. If he can run Bama to the F4, then probably, but I think he'll need a few more years before he gets a call from the big boys.

2 minutes ago, ubmae86 said:

I think he has the mind for it, but I'm not sure he's got enough coaching under his belt to have the NBA calling quite yet. If he can run Bama to the F4, then probably, but I think he'll need a few more years before he gets a call from the big boys.

Totally agree. A couple deeps runs in tournaments and also getting players drafted then his NBA stock will rise. But as you said he has the mind for it.

11 hours ago, Bill said:

Nate should 100% be considered amongst the country’s best. The man flat out knows how to coach and get the most out of his team. I don’t know if he’ll stay at Alabama for long, one of the blue bloods could be calling soon or an even bigger school. We were lucky to have him here for as long as we did and set us up for success. 

If Nate wasn't in such a rush to go to Alabama, he might have wound up at Michigan. That job opened up just days later.

34 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

I think he's doing just fine where he is.

Plus in the SEC now that he has a footing, he can setup Alabama like Florida was with Donovan and just dominate. A lot of the schools don't care much about basketball, so he could dominate for a while and then move on.

57 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Plus in the SEC now that he has a footing, he can setup Alabama like Florida was with Donovan and just dominate. A lot of the schools don't care much about basketball, so he could dominate for a while and then move on.

I don't understand why he would want to move on from there once he has the program thriving.  I don't see it anyway. He's making big bucks and winning. 

1 minute ago, MuchMany said:

As crazy as this feels to say, I think the only jobs he leaves Bama for are Kentucky, UNC, the NBA, and maybe Michigan if Howard leaves for the NBA. He's at that level now.

Exactly this and as @UBinMDsaid...do what Billy Donovan did. Win in the SEC build his resume then bounce to the NBA. And I thought Donovan was wrongly let go in OKC too. 

44 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

As crazy as this feels to say, I think the only jobs he leaves Bama for are Kentucky, UNC, the NBA, and maybe Michigan if Howard leaves for the NBA. He's at that level now.

Do not forget Wisconsin.  He is a native.  In Belfast he made sure that the first game was Wisconsin-Milwaukee, because he was from there.

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Exactly this and as @UBinMDsaid...do what Billy Donovan did. Win in the SEC build his resume then bounce to the NBA. And I thought Donovan was wrongly let go in OKC too. 

He’ll certainly have the opportunity to go coach in the NBA, but, I think he’s more of a guy that thrives in developing young kids, able to get them to buy into his system, and be successful. If he’s successful with Alabama and the money and raises and incentives just keep pouring in, the school will without question pay him. As long as he’s winning of course.

4 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

He’ll certainly have the opportunity to go coach in the NBA, but, I think he’s more of a guy that thrives in developing young kids, able to get them to buy into his system, and be successful. If he’s successful with Alabama and the money and raises and incentives just keep pouring in, the school will without question pay him. As long as he’s winning of course.

My hope for him is that he can keep getting these 4 and 5 star guys to buy in an play for him a couple years and not become the NBA developmental league factory like Kentucky and Duke have become. Not that a 4-start recruit is going to be "under-recruited", but if he can find those guys with a chip and the talent, he can make them better as a collective than they are as individuals. That's his strength and I hope he never loses that. I'm not sure NBA players are what he would thrive with, but I also didn't expect him to take Alabama to these heights in 2 years, so what do I know.

• Like 1