Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

53 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

I don't know the quality of sources but this is the first mention I've seen of Michigan assistant Saddi Washington

Also mentioned the other usual suspects (Hodgson, Cohen, Hartman)

This Twitter does break coaching hires so it's legit 

I was hoping we were going in direction of young up and coming assistant.  If this was spring 2002, Anderson would be a great choice. I would take his UAB results.  The results at St. John's, not so much.

Screenshot_20230318-0802112.thumb.png.5db3bad0646569aa00c57ff61a648819.png

I would add, that I don't hate Anderson as a choice, but feels more like safe choice than going after a more lightning in a bottle choice.

Edited by DocCas86
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:

I was hoping we were going in direction of young up and coming assistant.  If this was spring 2002, Anderson would be a great choice. I would take his UAB results.  The results at St. John's, not so much.

Screenshot_20230318-0802112.thumb.png.5db3bad0646569aa00c57ff61a648819.png

I would add, that I don't hate Anderson as a choice, but feels more like safe choice than going after a more lightning in a bottle choice.

I want young and hungry. Not a retread. Totally agree this feels like the safe choice. As Whitesell was the safe choice. Anderson’s 4 years at St. John’s were bad. The non conference scheduling a joke. His recruiting wasn’t great. And most importantly he lost the lure of MSG. SJU was never a bubble team under him. And this is who we are talking to? Please move onto the next.

10 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Side note: An Arkansas st fan in the comments of that tweet is not happy with that potential hire

The same Arkansas State who went 13-20 in the Sun Belt (10-20 vs D1 opponents) with a 288 Kenpom ranking?  So much for my theory that Hodgson might be getting offers from bigger fish than UB 😂

Edited by Bluebird96

22 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I’m a fan of Cohen as the hire. I was not in the BH camp so I guess I can see if I was right or wrong since he is now going to be a HC. Interesting the Arkansas St fan is not happy about it. I guess it’s all perspective. 

Love Coach Oats's 5 out offense. Having the paint open for drives and kick outs is so fun to watch when the three ball is falliing and we have athletic wings to get to the paint and rim. Would imagine Coach Hodgson would have brought the same. What kind of offense has Cohen coached in? What are you anticipating he runs if he gets the job? Why do you want him?

8 minutes ago, ukbro00 said:

How would people feel about Tobin Anderson?

I love the March madness. He took a really bad FDU squad and found a way into the tournament in his first year as head coach. He was a Dll coach for about 10 years before taking over FDU at the end of last season. Don't know much about him, but love his journey.

19 minutes ago, Chet said:

I love the March madness. He took a really bad FDU squad and found a way into the tournament in his first year as head coach. He was a Dll coach for about 10 years before taking over FDU at the end of last season. Don't know much about him, but love his journey.

He was 209-62 during his stint as D2 coach, he seems to know how to win.  Another year or two of success at FDU and he will have some good opportunities

14 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

The more this drags on the more I think we are on our 4th or 5th choice as the first 3 have said no thanks. I don’t think this is due diligence this is striking out. I believe this happened last time we did a coach search.

If we had 3 offers out there would be some sort of news about it lol. We're using a search firm which is dragging it out

I don't think it was ever going to be Hodgson. Too much baggage from the last go 'round and maybe too much baggage from the current 'Bama situation. As fans, we can be more romantic about the good ol' days than the decision makers are.

Really rooting against the Mike Anderson route. Would have to think long and hard about renewing my seasons if we go with a retread.