Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

26 minutes ago, Kevin said:

The only thing about McCollum is does he have a pipeline into D1 players?

Limited data since he didn't have a lot of people transfer out but Ryan Hawkins transferred to Creighton for his final year of eligibility and was their leading scorer for a R32 team. Trevor Hudgins is in the G League.

So he likely has some talent already on his roster.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bullsbball said:

All his current players are from the Midwest. 5 from Missouri, 2 each from Nebraska, Kansas, and Illinois and 1 from Iowa. Not picked anybody recently on the D2 Transfer portal and lost a couple over the past few years.

He also has one guy currently playing in the G League, which is the same number we do from our decade of relative success.

Edit: @rma beat me to it, he's got two G Leaguers, so one more than us with Graves in Europe now. 

Edited by MuchMany

41 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

I imagine his team of well-coached, high-effort guys would have waxed UB this year anyways. He'll figure out how to find some dogs for this level too.

And as we all know, there are plenty of bag men out there ready to take an assistant's chair on a staff. 

This looks like an offense Jack and Curtis Jones would actually flourish in.

• Like 1

People are losing their mind on Twitter for BH not coming to UB. I just don't get it, I see 4-5 on this thread alone that would seem to bring more to the table. A little glad he got plucked to pull him out of the discussion.

Edited by UBinMD

15 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

People are losing their mind on Twitter for BH not coming to UB. I just don't get it, I see 4-5 on this thread alone that would seem to bring more to the table. A little glad he got plucked to pull him out of the discussion.

100%. Sadly, the general Buffalo sports fan's brain is pretty well fried at the moment from the Bills not yet reaching the ultimate goal and the Sabres drought/promising season petering out. Add in UB having a couple middling years and yeah, it's a mess. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MuchMany said:

"On the floor, the Bearcats run perhaps the most efficient offense in college basketball. It’s predicated on angles and screens and spacing to get open looks, but there are no discernable patterns. It is a nightmare to defend."

This would certainly be a a welcome, polar opposite change around here. 

https://www.ky3.com/2022/11/02/northwest-missouri-state-hoops-verge-becoming-dynasty/

Pete Carrill at Princeton.

26 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

As opposed to Winfield and Stone with the women this year.

They started out rough, but did very well. Stone found her groove. Another year and she would have been dominant. Winfield had some tough shooting games, but her rebounding, especially for her size was phenomenal. They were fun to watch. It was also good seeing Jaz take on a bigger role and I thought she had a very good season.

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

Hoping that whoever UB selects is successful enough that we won't have comparisons made in the future. I think they have some good choices available.

Charleston was the country’s hot mid-major this year and they started two D2 transfers, an NAIA transfer and had another D2 transfer play heavy minutes off the bench. Pat Kelsey did the same thing at his previous stop at Winthrop. I’m not suggesting he go that route, but not relying on landing a team full of 4 stars to win seems more sustainable as a mid-major program. It’s certainly something to consider but I don’t have much doubt McCollum can identify undervalued talent and I’d be excited to see what he could do recruiting to a D1 school. I think I’d be pretty pumped if we bring him in

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Glad you are so happy. 

The good news is that time will tell which side was right. Over the next few years we'll get to see what Hodgson is made of to determine if we made the right call or completely effed this thing up. Let's just hope whoever we end up hiring does a better job because there will be naysayers complaining for years if we can't compete to his Ark St team.

3 hours ago, MuchMany said:

100%. Sadly, the general Buffalo sports fan's brain is pretty well fried at the moment from the Bills not yet reaching the ultimate goal and the Sabres drought/promising season petering out. Add in UB having a couple middling years and yeah, it's a mess. 

UB Bulls could drop athletics tomorrow and unfortunately few would care UB has themselves to blame for that. Taking on Western New York sports fans isn’t the way to go. UB has themselves to blame hiring Danny White, Reggie Witherspoon, Jim Whitesell. Danny White is in a catagory all to himself which I sure he would be proud of the bum New York Bulls Big Ten Conference is right around the corner when pigs fly. Jim Whitesell is Buffalo Sabres coach Ralph Krueger and Buffalo Bills coach Rex Ryan coning money out of their employers. Both coaches and there lawyers saw the Buffalo Sabres, Buffalo Bills coming and Jim Whitesell along with his lawyer saw UB Bulls basketball coming getting extensions and long contracts accomplishing absolutely nothing.

Remember UB Bulls basketball has delivered Western New York nothing the other three Western New York basketball schools delivered more than UB. There is only one Big 4 Western New York basketball school that has delivered Western New York a National Championship in College Basketball the 1977 St Bonaventure Bonnies basketball NIT championship over head coach Guy Lewis Houston Cougars with Otis Birdsong when I was 9 years old so it was a long time ago. UB has accomplished nothing in college basketball the women made it deep into the NCAA tournament not the men. UB Bulls have never made it to MSG with the NIT before the NIT left the Garden which is nuts that the NIT isn’t in the Garden anymore it is what it is. At one time NIT at the Garden was a big national championship tournament when I was a kid. UB alums need to understand making the NCAA tournament isn’t the greatest accomplishment ever we expect more in Western New York than that. UB Bulls needs to win a NCAA Basketball National Championship in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

9 minutes ago, UB Horns Up said:

UB Bulls could drop athletics tomorrow and unfortunately few would care UB has themselves to blame for that. Taking on Western New York sports fans isn’t the way to go. UB has themselves to blame hiring Danny White, Reggie Witherspoon, Jim Whitesell. Danny White is in a catagory all to himself which I sure he would be proud of the bum New York Bulls Big Ten Conference is right around the corner when pigs fly. Jim Whitesell is Buffalo Sabres coach Ralph Krueger and Buffalo Bills coach Rex Ryan coning money out of their employers. Both coaches and there lawyers saw the Buffalo Sabres, Buffalo Bills coming and Jim Whitesell along with his lawyer saw UB Bulls basketball coming getting extensions and long contracts accomplishing absolutely nothing.

Remember UB Bulls basketball has delivered Western New York nothing the other three Western New York basketball schools delivered more than UB. There is only one Big 4 Western New York basketball school that has delivered Western New York a National Championship in College Basketball the 1977 St Bonaventure Bonnies basketball NIT championship over head coach Guy Lewis Houston Cougars with Otis Birdsong when I was 9 years old so it was a long time ago. UB has accomplished nothing in college basketball the women made it deep into the NCAA tournament not the men. UB Bulls have never made it to MSG with the NIT before the NIT left the Garden which is nuts that the NIT isn’t in the Garden anymore it is what it is. At one time NIT at the Garden was a big national championship tournament when I was a kid. UB alums need to understand making the NCAA tournament isn’t the greatest accomplishment ever we expect more in Western New York than that. UB Bulls needs to win a NCAA Basketball National Championship in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Wow!!A lot of opinions about thee good old days. But that was an entirely different era in college basketball. I don’t know how you can compare the two. So much has changed it could take a lengthy opinion piece. Our family experienced all those great and exciting years but with today’s sports landscape it has changed forever. It is the mid majors, lower conferences versus the power five conferences and all the media presence along with millionaires throwing their money around. For many of us older fans we will continue our support for our schools that we have followed all our lives. It is just a pipe dream that colleges like UB can compete against the big time colleges with their millionaire donors. 

• Like 1