Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

‘23-‘24 Roster

Keeping track of the roster and where I see remaining needs (to be as competitive as possible next year). We'll have to see how the newcomers look this summer, but this isn't a good team as it stands right now. Ideally, we land three starting transfers that can be average mid-major players.

Roster (8/13 scholarships taken)

PG: NEED (Jr or Sr transfer starter) / NEED (JUCO or HS developmental)

SG: NEED (Jr or Sr transfer starter) / Kanye Jones / Ryan Sabol

Wing: Isaiah Adams / Diovion Famakinde / Bryson Wilson

Big/Wing: NEED (Jr or Sr transfer starter) / Zaakir Williamson

Big: Sy Chatman / Jo Smith / NEED (JUCO or HS developmental)

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

Keeping track of the roster and where I see remaining needs (to be as competitive as possible next year). We'll have to see how the newcomers look this summer, but this isn't a good team as it stands right now. Ideally, we land three starting transfers that can be average mid-major players.

Roster (8/13 scholarships taken)

PG: NEED (Jr or Sr transfer starter) / NEED (JUCO or HS developmental)

SG: NEED (Jr or Sr transfer starter) / Kanye Jones / Ryan Sabol

Big/Wing: NEED (Jr or Sr transfer starter) / Zaakir Williamson

Big: Sy Chatman / Jo Smith / NEED (JUCO or HS developmental)

Seems about right to me, especially PG / SG.  it will be nice to get some players associated with these openings soon.

3 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

How much time do we have to get these new starters? Season will be here before we know it. 

Well, it's mid-May. Team doesn't even practice together for another couple months when the freshman start arriving. So plenty of time, I'd say. 

6 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

Still a ton of guys in the portal it seems. 

There are talented players in the portal.  Also looking back at last year, the Bulls picked up Chatman and Smith in June.  So it can be done.   I am eager to hear some commits.

That said it is not unheard of for a new coach to have success with a couple of veterans and some FR contributors. I am not saying the Bulls have the next CJ / Nick combo, but who knows.

Screenshot_20230516-0549512.thumb.png.fc0aeb4460e1fd93e10c4647750296ae.png

6 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

There are talented players in the portal.  Also looking back at last year, the Bulls picked up Chatman and Smith in June.  So it can be done.   I am eager to hear some commits.

That said it is not unheard of for a new coach to have success with a couple of veterans and some FR contributors. I am not saying the Bulls have the next CJ / Nick combo, but who knows.

Screenshot_20230516-0549512.thumb.png.fc0aeb4460e1fd93e10c4647750296ae.png

Coach is laying down a foundation with HS recruits, adding a lot of depth. The only hs commit I can see being game ready is Wilson at the moment. Would expect another hs recruit soon (boldin jr possibly) then some transfers or JUCO signees

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Let’s be real, is anyone else worried about next years team? We desperately need some experience and skill in the backcourt. We pretty much lost most of our production from last year and have replaced it with unproven freshman with mostly unimpressive interest from other schools. I get we need to “build” the program but these kids will transfer the first time they succeed and we are gambling a lot on diamonds in the rough. I know you guys hate rentals, but we need some proven talent on this team. 

I am personally okay with a "rebuilding" year. Very few coaches come in and have success immediately. I would rather a coach find "his guys" who he can develop and build a good culture rather than try to win immediately with someone who will be graduating in the spring. Obviously if it is possible to win and do those things at the same time that is preferred but it is not always easy or even possible to do that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ubbullsfan09 said:

Let’s be real, is anyone else worried about next years team? We desperately need some experience and skill in the backcourt. We pretty much lost most of our production from last year and have replaced it with unproven freshman with mostly unimpressive interest from other schools. I get we need to “build” the program but these kids will transfer the first time they succeed and we are gambling a lot on diamonds in the rough. I know you guys hate rentals, but we need some proven talent on this team. 

I'm not too worried, we have what should be 3 very good 1 very solid Mac players returning in Kanye Jones, Sy Chatman, Isaiah Adams and Jo Smith

Would I like to see a transfer forward and a senior pg added, it would be nice but this team looks to be built to be physical and compete

16 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

I'm not too worried, we have what should be 3 very good 1 very solid Mac players returning in Kanye Jones, Sy Chatman, Isaiah Adams and Jo Smith

Would I like to see a transfer forward and a senior pg added, it would be nice but this team looks to be built to be physical and compete

The UB IG just posted some highlights of Sy. If he regains that form and Adams takes a step forward, they could be a nice 1/2 punch. Smith is our junkyard dog. Then you fill in the pieces around them. Think we have a nice blend right now. Agree we are young at PG. Maybe Fulcher can step up. There’s still almost 2k transfers in the portal, still time.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

With all due respect to the player, I'm not sure why we are expecting a huge leap from Kanye Jones.  Don't get me wrong, I think he's a valuable player on the team and I'm happy to see him in a UB uniform, but he's a 2 ppg player who played double-digit minutes in just 3 games against D-1 opponents last year.  

I want him to succeed and I hope he blossoms into a consistent, solid player in the UB lineup, but I think we need to pump the brakes a bit on that one.  There's always room for growth and I hope he takes a big step forward this year, as one of the more experienced players on the roster.  We saw better shooting percentages last year than he had at BC, and I hope that continues.

• Like 2

I am in the camp that the last three scholarships should be focused on the upcoming year.  As others have said I think starting PG / SG are most critical.  It has been pointed out that there are still many players in the portal.  Thought it would be interesting to list some of the available prospects here:

image.thumb.png.bb32c3fe10a6cb2e4bf0737fc9b260f9.png

Please note above list from barttorvik.com and I have not confirmed all of these players are still available.  Also some of the non-Grad transfers may not be immediately eligible due to prior transfer.  Ian Martinez still intrigues me, but not sure if his motivation is to get more minutes.

36 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I say with the proper coaches and scheme, we are Top 6 with our current group. I am usually optimistic, but I feel we have good bones and I think this coaching staff has a plan and a system. I am ready to see it.

Brought this over from the Hamilton recruiting thread...

Man...I don't know. Last year's roster was far more talented to my eye as it stands right now, barring a couple of the freshmen way outplaying their rankings. Not sure how we look relative to the  minnows of the MAC, but coaching will have to make a substantial difference if we're to beat last year's mark. I understand and am onboard with the rebuild, but just trying to be realistic relative to last year.

2 hours ago, UBlearns said:

With all due respect to the player, I'm not sure why we are expecting a huge leap from Kanye Jones.  Don't get me wrong, I think he's a valuable player on the team and I'm happy to see him in a UB uniform, but he's a 2 ppg player who played double-digit minutes in just 3 games against D-1 opponents last year.  

I want him to succeed and I hope he blossoms into a consistent, solid player in the UB lineup, but I think we need to pump the brakes a bit on that one.  There's always room for growth and I hope he takes a big step forward this year, as one of the more experienced players on the roster.  We saw better shooting percentages last year than he had at BC, and I hope that continues.

100% this. He hasn't shown anything more than being a bench shooter at the MAC level. Hope there's more there, but as of now it's a step down from Zid and even Kidtrell.

Edited by MuchMany
  • Like 1

Roster (10/13 scholarships taken)

PG: NEED (Jr or Sr transfer starter) / Shawn Fulcher

SG: Kanye Jones / Anquan Boldin Jr. / Ryan Sabol

Big/Wing: NEED (Jr or Sr transfer starter) / Zaakir Williamson

Big: Sy Chatman / Jo Smith / NEED (JUCO or HS developmental)

Right now, I imagine the starters are Fulcher, Adams, Jo, and Sy with a battle between Kanye, Famakinde, Wilson, and Boldin for the last spot. We really need an experienced PG to help guide the development of everyone else on the floor.

39 minutes ago, bullsbball said:

2023-24 Men's Basketball Roster - University at Buffalo (ubbulls.com)

Because you asked, Updated. Includes the 5 returning and 5 freshmen.

Are Chapman and Sabol both allowed to be #1 as long as they promise not to be on the court at the same time? 😂 I guess the same applies to Wilson and Smith for #15.

Edited by UBinMD

23 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Are Chapman and Sabol both allowed to be #1 as long as they promise not to be on the court at the same time? 😂 I guess the same applies to Wilson and Smith for #15.

Maybe rock paper scissors team building event to decide who gets the number.  That would be a great social media post! 😆