Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jim Whitesell and UB Part Ways

Kevin

43 minutes ago, Erie County said:

Agreed very much so

Functionally, the Bulls will still be decent this year and, likely, okay next year.  They have Mballa and Williams for next year...that will help win games for sure.  Maybe not a MAC tournament bye, but maybe a .500 team.

The problem is the 2022-23 season (and beyond). That's gonna be rough.

Horrible recruiting hits this past year, but let's not forget when Moss was expelled and others suspended, Mikinzie dismissed, Bearden suspended and left, all under Oates. Once-suspended players have helped us to titles, so Zachery could potentially as well. Just have to see if the staff can recruit after Oats' recruits are gone, as UB92 points out. Can this staff show it can get the JUCO's, power-conference transfers, and surprise blue chips, that Hurley and Oates?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

Horrible recruiting hits this past year, but let's not forget when Moss was expelled and others suspended, Mikinzie dismissed, Bearden suspended and left, all under Oates. Once-suspended players have helped us to titles, so Zachery could potentially as well. Just have to see if the staff can recruit after Oats' recruits are gone, as UB92 points out. Can this staff show it can get the JUCO's, power-conference transfers, and surprise blue chips, that Hurley and Oates?

The new assistant coach has deep connections in JUCO, helped bring in Brewton and Zachary. I believe we will find some great Juco players. We always seem to find some good transfers and Quarles seems to do a good job at finding them. It’s hard to tell if a great HS player will translate well at the college level.

To try and spin the recruiting miss as positives: definitely allows UB to keep any player the extra year of eligibility on scholarship - should graves/brewton/Fagan/brock stay next year. Keeping eligible players I would guess be up to the University and UB is historically cheap towards athletics so having open scholarships might work out

1 hour ago, Erie County said:

2022 the cupboard is officially bare. Almost quite literally. 

Can they compete this year? Probably. 

The team has zero future left remaining past Segu/Graves/Williams/Mballa

It depends upon how one sees the ceiling of the underclassmen. I think Skogman will become our version of Kevin Pittsnogle. Williamson looks like a slightly less athletic or long-armed McCrea, but should be a solid All-MAC PF. So a good future front court. Zackery will be solid if he keeps his nose clean. Near term we know what Hardnett brings. Gallion, I think, at his best, another Skeete. So the staff need a ball handler and athletic wings pronto, or we may be re-visting the Watt+McCrea and wins, but no titles, years.

8 hours ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

It depends upon how one sees the ceiling of the underclassmen. I think Skogman will become our version of Kevin Pittsnogle. Williamson looks like a slightly less athletic or long-armed McCrea, but should be a solid All-MAC PF. So a good future front court. Zackery will be solid if he keeps his nose clean. Near term we know what Hardnett brings. Gallion, I think, at his best, another Skeete. So the staff need a ball handler and athletic wings pronto, or we may be re-visting the Watt+McCrea and wins, but no titles, years.

What is perception of current open offers?  Is lack of activity sign we have moved on / no longer being considered?   I know that early on there were rumblings we were recruiting Victor Hart aggressively.  His freshman year stats were good (FWIW) https://www.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2019-20/players/victorhart4vt6.  Doesn't seem like any games yet this year, so no additional info.

On 1/5/2021 at 5:32 PM, UB92 said:

Functionally, the Bulls will still be decent this year and, likely, okay next year.  They have Mballa and Williams for next year...that will help win games for sure. 

Will we??  Will Williams look to transfer up?  Will Mballa want to transfer up?  We all know how the protocol works currently.  And who knows what will happen if the one time transfer rule gets passed before next season.  This is pure speculation.  But wouldn't surprise me. 

As for our MAC standing, I feel this current roster is our last chance to remain ahead of everyone else in the MAC in terms of talent and recruiting, before we come back to the pack. Which is why last season was frustrating and disappointing.

40 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Will we??  Will Williams look to transfer up?  Will Mballa want to transfer up?  We all know how the protocol works currently.  And who knows what will happen if the one time transfer rule gets passed before next season.  This is pure speculation.  But wouldn't surprise me. 

As for our MAC standing, I feel this current roster is our last chance to remain ahead of everyone else in the MAC in terms of talent and recruiting, before we come back to the pack. Which is why last season was frustrating and disappointing.

Imagine you can transfer at will from program to program?  Any player any program (save a very small handful of programs) develops can just find his next home...whether that means a good OVC player transfers to the MAC, a good MAC player transfers to the Pac-12 or a good Pac-12 player transfers the ACC. 

That "sit out year", while certainly unfair to the players, is needed to prevent this tremendous potential reshuffling every year and the effort/expense/etc. associated with it.

3 minutes ago, UB92 said:

Imagine you can transfer at will from program to program?  Any player any program (save a very small handful of programs) develops can just find his next home...whether that means a good OVC player transfers to the MAC, a good MAC player transfers to the Pac-12 or a good Pac-12 player transfers the ACC. 

That "sit out year", while certainly unfair to the players, is needed to prevent this tremendous potential reshuffling every year and the effort/expense/etc. associated with it.

I understand the issue at hand.  I'm simple saying that perhaps Williams and Mballa will explore transferring to a P5 school to grow and develop and increase whatever draft stock they may have.  And the one time transfer rule would make that more appealing bc they wouldn't have to sit out.   And transferring in college bball has already become the wild wild west of recruiting.  Wouldn't shock me if someone from a P5 school reaches out to X player on X mid major school and plants the seeds..."Hey you transfer here your game will be taken to the next level." Not saying this will happen, just wouldn't shock me if Williams or Mballa explore transferring.  Or Preston of Ohio.  He's got legit draft potential.  What is to say if he goes to the draft combine and they say you're a second round pick, but if you transfer to a Big Ten school you could become a first round pick.  All could happen.  Mid major programs like ours could become breading grounds for P5 schools.  We already see it on the football side. Granted those are leaving for 1 season. As of now.

16 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I understand the issue at hand.  I'm simple saying that perhaps Williams and Mballa will explore transferring to a P5 school to grow and develop and increase whatever draft stock they may have.  And the one time transfer rule would make that more appealing bc they wouldn't have to sit out.   And transferring in college bball has already become the wild wild west of recruiting.  Wouldn't shock me if someone from a P5 school reaches out to X player on X mid major school and plants the seeds..."Hey you transfer here your game will be taken to the next level." Not saying this will happen, just wouldn't shock me if Williams or Mballa explore transferring.  Or Preston of Ohio.  He's got legit draft potential.  What is to say if he goes to the draft combine and they say you're a second round pick, but if you transfer to a Big Ten school you could become a first round pick.  All could happen.  Mid major programs like ours could become breading grounds for P5 schools.  We already see it on the football side. Granted those are leaving for 1 season. As of now.

Ub is surprisingly good at placing players into pro leagues, so unless there is NBA potential I dont see why you would leave.

But realistically if Williams and mballa decide to transfer where else would they get 30 minutes of playing time a night? It would be another mid major school. If they go to a power 5 and not play or not perform their pro stock probably goes down.

When oats left there was an interview with graves and he was asked if thought of transferring. His answer was basically there was no were else where he would be the go to player and that it looks better to scouts to be that player

6 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Ub is surprisingly good at placing players into pro leagues, so unless there is NBA potential I dont see why you would leave.

But realistically if Williams and mballa decide to transfer where else would they get 30 minutes of playing time a night? It would be another mid major school. If they go to a power 5 and not play or not perform their pro stock probably goes down.

When oats left there was an interview with graves and he was asked if thought of transferring. His answer was basically there was no were else where he would be the go to player and that it looks better to scouts to be that player

Some here would say Graves isn't the go to player on this team lol

8 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Some here would say Graves isn't the go to player on this team lol

Yeah I can see that but that was his reasoning for staying after oats left

Was used to mostly illustrate a point that I believe transferring worries might be over blown

I also may be under estimating payments these college athletes receive illegally ha

1 minute ago, Tee4three said:

Yeah I can see that but that was his reasoning for staying after oats left

Was used to mostly illustrate a point that I believe transferring worries might be over blown

I also may be under estimating payments these college athletes receive illegally ha

Agree.  I was just saying that to make jokes.  

59 minutes ago, MDBullsfan89 said:

Realistically he gets at least one more year to get us back to the Dance. Unless he somehow scores some big recruits (who actually pan out) or the extra eligibility/transfer situations shake out in our favor, we're likely looking at a full-on rebuild in 2022.

Yeah he will get this year and definitely next year also. Next year still have a good team w jeenathan/Segu/mballa/brewton. It’s the year after that which is scary. Don’t see anyone on this team right now to maintain level of play we used to. Def a rebuild likely in 22-23 season..

15 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Yes, we know that already.

Well nothing has changed my mind and I don’t plan to quiet on the subject when I’m watching the coach who was hired to “bring stability” is wasting away and/or reversing the success that was built in this program.

• Like 1

Reggie gets too much hate

The guy was good here and was a huge reason why a guy like Bobby Hurley could come in and take ub to another level

Reggie is a perfect head coach for a smaller mid major. The guy is gonna win 18 to 20 games, finish competitively in conference each year and once every 4 years have a team capable of winning the conference tournament

With that said Ub is not a small mid major and shouldn't be treated as such

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Erie County said:

He did? I can't even remember him anymore. It's all a burr of bad basketball.....

I hope we don't have to go down this "Reggie Road" again in discussing Whitesell.

Reggie should always be remembered fondly by UB fans.  He took a crappy team that was on probation and made them respectable...and almost got us to the tournament.  Ultimately, though, we needed someone else to get us over the hump.

The up tempo game that Hurley and Oats brought to UB was more exciting than the offense Reggie ran for many years and, for me, I was happy to not have to watch that anymore.  And, of course, it was more successful in the end.

Jim Whitesell was a .500 coach in the Horizon league, finishing above .500 in conference once in seven years.  And then, because the AD either didn't have an advance plan for Oats' departure or didn't want to spend the money (or, likely, both), took the easy option at the end and gave Whitesell another (undeserved, in my opinion) chance to be a head coach -- this time inheriting a team that went 30-4.

Whitesell has been a good Asst. Coach, if you look at the records. The jury is certainly still out on him as a head coach this time around.  My observation has been that he has failed several times in getting his players to play hard after a win.  That has happened multiple times in his short stint as a coach.    He said this in the BN after the game on Friday “We needed to quit playing frustrating and play harder".   But if your guys aren't playing hard, isn't that on you as the coach?  That's a reflection of you.  I also HATE (and I can't emphasize that enough) what Whitesell said about BGSU as well in the same article:  "You have to give them credit. That’s why they’ve been picked to finish first in our league.”    You talk about not taking responsibility?  

Some people want the buck to "stop with them".  Clearly this was Oats and Hurley.  I suspect it was Reggie as well.  Jim Whitesell?  Best left as an Assistant Coach where the buck doesn't stop.

• Like 2

I was waiting a while to comment but I agree with all the recent posts. 

This guy is the worst coach I've ever seen. The team played with much more heart under Thorpe. 

We can get away from him right? Are we stuck with this massively bad hire?

These team looks the part of 12-8 in MAC play with a first round 4-5 exit or something.