Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

“Blue collar U” TBT

Bill

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Tom Fox now lists himself as a coach for Blue Collar U.

He's been really vocal on J Williams NBA stuff on Twitter. I think he still wants to be associated with that group. Good for him, glad he takes pride in that.

25 minutes ago, Majortomxiii said:

I know Blue Collar U is not officially part of UB but what an opportunity lost. UB is so not ready for a bigger conference. 

UB athletics has taken some big PR hits lately... 

Edited by capencaper
Wrong tense
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Majortomxiii said:

I know Blue Collar U is not officially part of UB but what an opportunity lost. UB is so not ready for a bigger conference. 

We don’t know the reasoning behind not holding it at AA though. If TBT wanted a bigger chunk of the pie that would push it to be unfeasible at UB, I’m fine giving it up. That being said I wish it was at AA

39 minutes ago, rma said:

We don’t know the reasoning behind not holding it at AA though. If TBT wanted a bigger chunk of the pie that would push it to be unfeasible at UB, I’m fine giving it up. That being said I wish it was at AA

UB and New York State not renting UB Alumni Arena letting it sit empty is fail. Just like the Buffalo Bills and New York State building a stadium for 10 games a year with no dome in Orchard Park is fail. But it snows in Buffalo we just have to deal with it. But if anyone is wondering why is UB athletics is so far behind add this to a very long list of reasons. I personally would rather have Rick Pitino coaching at UB. “But the world needs ditch diggers too Danny”. George Halcovage good luck next to impossible unless he is able to wake up the UB donors to the reality of today’s college athletics landscape with NIL and just buying the basketball players.

BSF why don’t you watch Big East St John’s then? Actually I do watch them both my grandfather and uncle went to St John’s my grandfather when the school was still in Brooklyn before going to Queens and old BSF almost went to St John’s in Queens but no dorms back then so I didn’t apply. The three schools I applied to UCLA, Miami the real Miami, Florida the Miami Hurricanes so yeah I almost went to the U and Canisius College. No UB because BSF doesn’t do Division 3 poverty athletics back then. UB was Division 3. BSF does UB back then in the 1980’s have that much of a social stigma outcast back then? Yes who wants to go to a school of no division 1 athletics? Education learning what? I can get that at UCLA, Miami and St John’s. UB was seriously just ignored in its own hometown back then in the 1980’s. That is why those UB professors against UB athletics today still obviously haven’t been out of the class room much. When UB was division 3 many didn’t even say no it was just disregard like it was a statue you were passing by back then. Today you would go to UB? Yes I would apply to UB anyway at least along with Hawaii which I loved Honolulu when I was vacationing there years ago. Hawaii if it wasn’t so expensive I lived there permanently in Honolulu, Hawaii.

I had a good laugh Rick Pitino took away players from the Connecticut Huskies. Not surprised Connecticut has no money especially Hartford how not to run a state and a city. The only major league team the NHL Hartford Whalers leaving is a national sports embarrassment. Connecticut Huskies can win a 100 NCAA titles the state isn’t overcoming that sports shame. Go Rick Pitino good for him using New York City private corporate money disguised as NIL to just buy the St John’s basketball players. Watch and learn UB athletics that is how business gets done in America. UB always naive thinking we don’t need NIL or money for the players fantasy land in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

3 minutes ago, rma said:

I don’t have the patience to read all that but I really don’t think UB lets Alumni Arena sit “empty”. There’s UB events there all the time. Could they have used another event? Sure.

I think ChatGPT gained consciousness and started trolling our board. I read it, their starting to cross a line from mildly annoying to our right rage troll posts and insulting to our community and members. 

16 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

Hasn’t it been discussed Alumni doesn’t have the infrastructure in place to host this summer tournament (I.e. air conditioning)?

This could have been part of it.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2019/05/how-occ-scored-a-tournament-site-for-the-basketball-tournament-boeheims-army.html

Though this article is a few years old, $3,500 might be cheaper than it costs to run a full day event at Alumni Arena. Figure 4-6 ticket scanners, a couple people at the team shop, concessions, 20 security or so, plus the non-labor costs. Of course there's revenue that will come in and it looks good for UB to host something like this. Before I read that article I was thinking UB would want $5k per day at the very least. And that might be low looking at other schools.

Similar rates:

$3,000 per day at Hartford Community College (MD) https://www.harfordevents.com/p/rental-info/rental-rates

$5,000 per day (+10% of tickets) Chattanoga https://www.utc.edu/finance-and-administration/mckenzie-arena/rental-information

$315/hour + direct costs Wyoming https://gowyo.com/facilities/facility-rentals/12

$10,000 per day Michigan https://facilityrentals.ath.umich.edu/index.php/non-premium-rentals/

$47,500 per day at SDSU, $25,000 at USD https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/high-school-preps/sd-sp-preps-basketball-ucsd-rimac-20190218-story.html

Let me see if I have this right. TBT wanted to use Alumni Arena for the defending champs to be able to play on their home court, yet BlueCollarU couldn't gather somewhere in the range of $10-$15k to pay UB whatever they charge for an event in AA? Is that for real?

1.) Was a discount offered by the University on the facility? Why would we charge full amount for a massive publicity event for the school?

2.) Was anyone on this site approached for donations to support this cause? It seems like such a small amount of money for a ton of good publicity.

3.) Didn't these guys win a million dollars last year? They can't get a few thousand together to rent the damn arena?

How does this stuff keep happening?? Either our PR is a joke and there are all sorts of secrets being held back that would explain these disasters or we have fallen off a cliff and have a support level that rivals a D3 school.

• Like 1

It's the lack of support again from Administration.  It is extra work that they don't want to do for the basketball programs. I am sure some employees would have to give up summer vacations and cushy hours to put this event on and they didn't want to give that time and support.

If Blue Collar U was a football team, you know ADMA would be putting all his resources into it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, clodney said:

Let me see if I have this right. TBT wanted to use Alumni Arena for the defending champs to be able to play on their home court, yet BlueCollarU couldn't gather somewhere in the range of $10-$15k to pay UB whatever they charge for an event in AA? Is that for real?

1.) Was a discount offered by the University on the facility? Why would we charge full amount for a massive publicity event for the school?

2.) Was anyone on this site approached for donations to support this cause? It seems like such a small amount of money for a ton of good publicity.

3.) Didn't these guys win a million dollars last year? They can't get a few thousand together to rent the damn arena?

How does this stuff keep happening?? Either our PR is a joke and there are all sorts of secrets being held back that would explain these disasters or we have fallen off a cliff and have a support level that rivals a D3 school.

1 hour ago, BullBoy said:

It's the lack of support again from Administration.  It is extra work that they don't want to do for the basketball programs. I am sure some employees would have to give up summer vacations and cushy hours to put this event on and they didn't want to give that time and support.

If Blue Collar U was a football team, you know ADMA would be putting all his resources into it.

I think we are missing the fact that this is 100% not affiliated with the school on any level at all. There may be some legal issues regulations on why we can't shift money around to support a private event to be hosted over the summer. 

IMO its not the Admin's job to offer support to former athletes some of which have are approaching 10 years removed from the school. The Admin should be charging money to rent out Alumni, that money can go on to support current athletes and not a summer basketball tournament that has zero connection to the school. I'm talking about the tournament as a business not the one out of the 64 teams that has some players on the team that used to go to UB. 

• Like 1

I think I read that Alumni Arena did not have AC, which is one of the requirements set by the TBT to host the regional site. 

I understand the school not wanting to pony up for the AC, for a TBT team not affiliated with the school. However AC is needed in the Arena, the place is unbearable in the summer. It would have made sense to pay for the AC now.

The school in my opinion has not taken advantage of the National success that Blue Collar U has had, through lack of social media (Essentially free PR), inability to provide AC to host and overall notable lack of interest by the administration and the University.

16 minutes ago, Bullsboys said:

I think I read that Alumni Arena did not have AC, which is one of the requirements set by the TBT to host the regional site. 

I understand the school not wanting to pony up for the AC, for a TBT team not affiliated with the school. However AC is needed in the Arena, the place is unbearable in the summer. It would have made sense to pay for the AC now.

The school in my opinion has not taken advantage of the National success that Blue Collar U has had, through lack of social media (Essentially free PR), inability to provide AC to host and overall notable lack of interest by the administration and the University.

UB is not going to rush an AC for in a single event over one summer. An A/C would be a capital improvement on the scale of 100s of thousands if not a few million. 

The larger assessment is what is the demand of AA as a venue in the short hot summers of Buffalo? The cost benefit analysis of it, etc. It's a lot more involved then dropping a few units in the windows. 

I know it's a hill i'm gonna die on but we need to disconnect TBT from UB. It's a great story and headline for fans. But I think we are over estimating the PR value. The focus should be on current student athletes, and NILs.

2 hours ago, everlast2504 said:

I think we are missing the fact that this is 100% not affiliated with the school on any level at all. There may be some legal issues regulations on why we can't shift money around to support a private event to be hosted over the summer. 

IMO its not the Admin's job to offer support to former athletes some of which have are approaching 10 years removed from the school. The Admin should be charging money to rent out Alumni, that money can go on to support current athletes and not a summer basketball tournament that has zero connection to the school. I'm talking about the tournament as a business not the one out of the 64 teams that has some players on the team that used to go to UB. 

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. Every major institution holds their athletic alums in high regard and they roll out the red carpet in any way that they can to support them - including stuff like TBT. Just look at what Syracuse, Wichita State, and Dayton had for their teams in TBT last year. They pony up cash and their fans come out in droves. Meanwhile, we hold out because we want to earn a couple thousand bucks in profit for using the facility.

If that isn't the case and it's truly about Air Conditioning, can the school just come out and say that? Our PR has been a friggin' nightmare for the past month and a simple statement explaining the details would clear a lot of this mess up. Either way, it's still amateur hour with Alnutt in charge.

34 minutes ago, clodney said:

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. Every major institution holds their athletic alums in high regard and they roll out the red carpet in any way that they can to support them - including stuff like TBT. Just look at what Syracuse, Wichita State, and Dayton had for their teams in TBT last year. They pony up cash and their fans come out in droves. Meanwhile, we hold out because we want to earn a couple thousand bucks in profit for using the facility.

If that isn't the case and it's truly about Air Conditioning, can the school just come out and say that? Our PR has been a friggin' nightmare for the past month and a simple statement explaining the details would clear a lot of this mess up. Either way, it's still amateur hour with Alnutt in charge.

This.

UB is all over TBT when Blue Collar U is winning. They just want to sit back and reap the benefits of the team's success without looking into a more active relationship. Hopefully Coach H continues to communicate the value of an alumni network of players and this changes.