Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Nate Oats and Alabama

22 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

The curse of #1 strikes hard.

Tough loss on the road to a top quality opponent. The up and down world of CBB. #7 Virginia nearly got upset tonight by 3-23 Louisville, pulling out a 3-Pt win with the help of Ben Vanderplas’ double double. Yet another Ohio Bobcats transfer who is doing very well in his new home, although his old teammate Sears had a forgettable game for Bama with just 2 pts

Edited by Bluebird96

As time progresses, it becomes abundantly clear to me how lucky UB was to have Oats here for the time we did.  

The Georgia coach tonight heaped a lot of praise on Oats today.  

Gotta enjoy the memories.  Indeed, today I thought about the time I watched UB at Akron under Oats and the Akron fans have a tradition where they don’t sit until Akron scores.  

Since I was a guest of an Akron fan, I remember standing for an extended period as UB jumped out to a big early lead.  

I didn’t mind.  

Those were the days…

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, UB92 said:

As time progresses, it becomes abundantly clear to me how lucky UB was to have Oats here for the time we did.  

Definitely caught lightning in a bottle finding him. All we can hope is that the next coach has similar success and brings us back to respectability and beyond.

15 minutes ago, UB92 said:

The Georgia coach tonight heaped a lot of praise on Oats today.  

Probably wasn’t easy for him to do that after a 49-pt drubbing. While Georgia is a middle of the road SEC team at 16-11 (6-8 SEC), they’re ranked 123 in Kenpom so comparable to Ball State or Ohio in that regard.

I used to think it’d be fun if Nate scheduled a game with UB, but now I don’t think it would even resemble a basketball game if the Bulls played the Tide.

Nate Oats on his best player bringing a gun to another one of his players and resulting in a murder: “We knew about that. Can’t control everything anybody does outside of practice. Nobody knew that was going to happen. College kids are out, Brandon hasn’t been in any type of trouble nor is he in any type of trouble in this case. Wrong spot at the wrong time.”

22 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Nate Oats on his best player bringing a gun to another one of his players and resulting in a murder: “We knew about that. Can’t control everything anybody does outside of practice. Nobody knew that was going to happen. College kids are out, Brandon hasn’t been in any type of trouble nor is he in any type of trouble in this case. Wrong spot at the wrong time.”

Not a good look for Oates and the Alabama program 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 6:04 PM, Chet said:

Okay then. Say what you want about Danny White as a person. I don't know him personally and I doubt you do. The impact that Danny had on UB athletics was significant. Numbers don't lie.

Danny White used creative accounting for those football and basketball attendance figurines I was a season ticket holder no way. What do you mean BSF? I believe Danny White lied about the actual UB Bulls attendance at games now figures are the true Blue attendance numbers at UB Bulls games. Danny White wasted a lot of money and time on New York Bulls that all had to be removed and replaced. I suppose UB alums forgot about that.

UB spent a lot of money on New York Bulls and took it financially big time merchandise sales that is why New York Bulls really went. UB came up with the UB alumni survey excuse but New York Bulls was a money loser. That is why the moment Danny White left for UCF. UB made the switch back to Buffalo Bulls. New York Bulls merchandise was a money loser a turd burger to borrow a nickname from the Buffalo Sabres former President Ted Black calling the Buffalo Sabres Gold Jersey with a blue cape that failed to sell much merchandise.

The current Buffalo Bulls logo with the merchandise is a way better seller. Even the heritage UB Bulls logo from the UB Bulls football helmet this season sold more merchandise then the UB turd burger New York Bulls logo with a paragraph was a total failure it divided our UB fan base. We are lucky UB Bulls are still in business after that bum Danny White turned off so many Buffalo fans and our Buffalo sports media in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo. 

Edited by UB Horns Up

1 hour ago, UB Horns Up said:

The current Buffalo Bulls logo with the merchandise is a way better seller.

That is one thing Ill say about merch, the new logo/design, since it came into effect has totally raised UBs merch game and overall appeal. I see way more of it around Amherst/town than before. But in general the colors/logo just have a more big time, clean professional vibe to them. They at the very least got that right these days.

On 2/18/2023 at 9:38 PM, UB92 said:

Gotta enjoy the memories. 

Those were the days…

I was a touch upset when he left but the truth is we actually got lucky in getting an extra year out of him and having him for as long as we did. Even if the Bulls consistently get back to the top of the MAC, we may never touch that era again. I mean being ranked as high as 14? 32-4? (I know I could google the numbers but Im pretending to guess). That stuff is just insane for any level of program. 

I look back at the Hurley/Oats era with amazement that we hit back to back. In fact Oats was better. Titles in 4 out of 5 years and a finals loss in the one after... Beating Arizona and ASU in tournament games. Just incredible stuff. They gave fans everything we ever wanted on a dream bucket list. Only other thing I wanted/still want would be an NBA player or a modern drafted player... (and maybe Elite 8 run)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BasketBull said:

Yeah I’m as big an Oats supporter as anybody but I’m having a hard time justifying Brandon Millers continued involvement with the team unless all that matters to you is winning.

This isn’t good on many levels. But it’s crazy to me that they would let him play and that this was the best response they could come up with. They had to know at some point this info was going to come out. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

This isn’t good on many levels. But it’s crazy to me that they would let him play and that this was the best response they could come up with. They had to know at some point this info was going to come out. 

Really bad look on all fronts. Just shows that wins mean the most and now they have to protect the kid that’s a projected top 5. I find it hard to believe there isn’t an accessory charge they could act on if they wanted to. Sounds like a premeditated execution based upon what has been released. Nothing other than the defense lawyer points to self defense. Oats with a dreadful response, really not reading the situation on that news conference.

Edited by UBinMD
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Really bad look on all fronts. Just shows that wins mean the most and now they have to protect the kid that’s a projected top 5. I find it hard to believe there isn’t an accessory charge they could act on if they wanted to. Sounds like a premeditated execution based upon what has been released. Nothing other than the defense lawyer points to self defense. Oats with a dreadful response, really not reading the situation on that news conference.

Just read up on the case, both sides are claiming self defense lol. Yet all the evidence points to Miles and Davis fully knowing and intending to use the gun. To at the very least intimidate. But I agree…if you own a gun and that gun is used to kill someone, you should face a charge. Both Miles and Miller should face charges. Miles is. Miller brought the gun…makes no sense why he isn’t being charged as well. Think about this…the gun went through two people before it ended up in the hands of the shooter. Crazy.

Edited by DooleyBull06

Nate Oats has handled this entire situation horribly. From getting Ray Lewis involved to letting Brandon Miller continue playing and now saying "wrong place, wrong time."

It's clear the only thing he cares about is winning and it doesn't matter at what cost. The moment Alabama found out about Miller's involvement, he should've been indefinitely suspended pending a review and investigation.

Now, it's clear that their program didn't truly care about the murder that took place. There's a valid argument to be made that Oats and Miller should be suspended the rest of the year. I doubt that'll happen but there's people calling for Oats to be fired.

I was always a huge supporter of Nate while he was in Buffalo. I've met him numerous times and got to talk to him following a few practices. He's a tremendous basketball coach but you really have to question him as a person now.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger
Deleting speculative comment
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Nate Oats has handled this entire situation horribly. From getting Ray Lewis involved to letting Brandon Miller continue playing and now saying "wrong place, wrong time."

It's clear the only thing he cares about is winning and it doesn't matter at what cost. The moment Alabama found out about Miller's involvement, he should've been indefinitely suspended pending a review and investigation.

Now, it's clear that their program didn't truly care about the murder that took place. There's a valid argument to be made that Oats and Miller should be suspended the rest of the year. I doubt that'll happen but there's people calling for Oats to be fired.

I was always a huge supporter of Nate while he was in Buffalo. I've met him numerous times and got to talk to him following a few practices. He's a tremendous basketball coach but you really have to question him as a person now... And there were already some questions about things happening back when he was still coaching UB.

I mean how dumb can you be? As players. Especially one who is a lottery pick. As a coach to say what he said. And in saying what he said showed where his priorities are. And also that he doesn’t care to know what his players might be doing when off the court. 

Edited by DooleyBull06
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I mean how dumb can you be? As players. Especially one who is a lottery pick. As a coach to say what he said. And in saying what he said showed where his priorities are. And also that he doesn’t care to know what his players might be doing when off the court. 

What kinda questions here at UB??? Can’t just dangle that out there lol

It was wrong of me to throw that last part out there. I'll delete that because I don't want to go down that rabbit hole.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

I was always a huge supporter of Nate while he was in Buffalo. I've met him numerous times and got to talk to him following a few practices. He's a tremendous basketball coach but you really have to question him as a person now.

Unless the boosters get pressure or Nick Saban himself calls for his head, no chance either get suspended. 

Edited by UBinMD
  • Like 1

There is now a Yahoo article about it, the comments are not supporting Oats or Miller except a very small few. Oats may need to be wary of public opinion if the tides turn. This article states Millers car was parked to block the other vehicle and told Miles the “gun was hot” when he handed it to him. The cops will not be playing on this one. If this is even partly true, all of this got much worse for the player and coach 

1 hour ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Seems like some of the best coaches are not great GM's. I don't want to say Becky Burke is a great coach (yet) but it seems like the roster management side of things are a mess. Oats had no problem suspending Bearden for weed, but it might have been harder for him to want to do on the big stage with championships and money on the line.

FLJ ran a tight ship and knows the X's and O's. I don't think it was ever made public why she suspended Fair for a game, but that's showing that you don't fuck around.