Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Nate Oats and Alabama

2 hours ago, zigo230 said:

Who knew when both guys were sitting on the UB bench coaching,  that Oats would be the one to really take off to another level?!?

I would've absolutely thought that (not patting myself on the back or anything). Nate is different. He's an animal out there. He's very analytical as well. Great combo. I was most worried that the "big time" players wouldn't buy in to the high school/ hard hat mentality, the extra pass, everyone eats style (as opposed to the "i gotta get mine"). Very happy for him, well deserved.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, skrabukes said:

I would've absolutely thought that (not patting myself on the back or anything). Nate is different. He's an animal out there. He's very analytical as well. Great combo. I was most worried that the "big time" players wouldn't buy in to the high school/ hard hat mentality, the extra pass, everyone eats style (as opposed to the "i gotta get mine"). Very happy for him, well deserved.

It took an early season loss to western kentucky for the players to buy in on the defensive end before that game they looked like the power conference version of UB. Very inconsistent but when they play intense defense everything starts to run

1 hour ago, Tee4three said:

It took an early season loss to western kentucky for the players to buy in on the defensive end before that game they looked like the power conference version of UB. Very inconsistent but when they play intense defense everything starts to run

Yes, they look like 2 totally different teams (recent vs early season). They look like the 32-4 UB team when playing at their best, making extra passes and playing tough D/rebounding. Put that methodology together with top notch talent and it's a dangerous combination.

1 hour ago, skrabukes said:

Yes, they look like 2 totally different teams (recent vs early season). They look like the 32-4 UB team when playing at their best, making extra passes and playing tough D/rebounding. Put that methodology together with top notch talent and it's a dangerous combination.

Hopefully Nate can keep getting the good talent, but not turning his team into an NBA Developmental Team (ala Duke and Kentucky). It's nice seeing those programs failing this year and hope we can get back to some real semblance of college basketball with kids staying at least 3 years. I guess time will tell, but he has built a solid team and gotten 4 and 5 star recruits to buy into his philosophy.

23 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Nate has the perfect balance right now.  Good young talent, good veteran talent and depth.  His team has bought in on the defensive end.  Scoring was never their issue.  Their last few wins they've held the opponent to their worst offensive efficiency rating. I agree with you about him being very analytical.  Former math teacher.  His analytics go deeper than what you saw from the Houston Rockets.  Yes they fire away from 3 but they are more than that. If he keeps up the recruiting, which I don't doubt, then Alabama will be a force. Calipari said last night that Alabama was tougher, when Nate coached here...we were always tougher.  I miss that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Bill said:

No idea where else to put this but Noah Williams would’ve looked good in a bulls uniform had he not decommitted. 

Perfect place to put it bc if Oats didn’t leave I do believe we’d be an at large contender and mid major darling still. We had too much talent coming back and talent, like Williams, that left once Oats did.

35 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Perfect place to put it bc if Oats didn’t leave I do believe we’d be an at large contender and mid major darling still. We had too much talent coming back and talent, like Williams, that left once Oats did.

He was the gem guard of the class. 

Could have really used a player like him.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I loved his quote about championships after winning today. He deflected any talk of 'Bama being a basketball school now, saying they are just a championship school. He showed that mentality here too, taking the digs at the Griffs, cheering on the women's team. It is his fault we now expect this ourselves, a MAC championship athletic department that talk's the talk and then walk's the walk. And we thank him for it.