Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

At this rate, unless there is an unpassible breach as some have opined, I would expect Hodgson to get the first look at this position for the reasons people have mentioned already.   I would expect a similar sort of arrangement (stay with Alabama until they are out of the tournament).

If not, probably one of the guys others have mentioned as front-runners.  I would NOT expect this to drag out and I would expect a coach to be named over the next few days.

I look forward to this thread ending and a new one starting with a title like "Welcome Coach xxx to UB".

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, UB92 said:

At this rate, unless there is an unpassible breach as some have opined, I would expect Hodgson to get the first look at this position for the reasons people have mentioned already.   I would expect a similar sort of arrangement (stay with Alabama until they are out of the tournament).

If not, probably one of the guys others have mentioned as front-runners.  I would NOT expect this to drag out and I would expect a coach to be named over the next few days.

I look forward to this thread ending and a new one starting with a title like "Welcome Coach xxx to UB".

Looking forward to welcoming the new coach and watching them build the team.

54 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

And the situation at Alabama continues to worsen.  Another player was at the scene.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/15/sports/ncaabasketball/alabama-shooting.html

It’s all good, as Oats said, he doesn’t have to know what they are up to off the court. Nothing has happened to anyone else so far. I hope this kid can shoot the ball, otherwise he may be the sacrificial lamb to save the good players. At least they get high character recruits there, unlike UB and all the problem children under JW.

Edited by UBinMD

17 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Maybe we can start the winning cycle over again.  https://www.yahoo.com/news/arizona-state-fire-bobby-hurley-150028642.html

This part particularly struck me - 

"Do you overlook the reality that the former point guard and coach’s son wouldn’t recognize X’s and O’s if they were at the end of a love letter? Or the fact that his squads can never seem to shoot? Or the risk that the guy gets so intense at times it looks like he’s going to have an aneurysm screaming about a foul call with 12 minutes to go in the first half of a non-conference game against East Middle North Central State University in November?

Do you bank on the fact that Hurley can attract high-level recruits to Desert Financial Arena? Even if he has no apparent system to put them in? Even if they’re hometown guys who end up leaving the team after a Twitter rant?"

I appreciate what Hurley did here, which was light a fire under things and get more attention on the program.  But eventually the act gets old, and you just look like a lunatic screaming all the time.  I always suspected that Hurley was getting by largely on his name and that Oats was the x's and o's behind the curtain.

As for this situation at Alabama - 

Rachel Lenzi of the Buffalo News recently questioned the culture at UB, considering a few problems like Chanse Robinson (was he ever actually here?), Malik Zachary, and the recruiting of Mballa.  One of the replies to my thoughts on that said "As for culture, whether it’s fair or not, the staff is always accountable for the actions of their players" and this was "proof that Whitesell had no control."  I don't assume this is everyone's opinion, and personally I wonder how much control you can have 24/7 over these people.  But I wonder if the same applies to Oats and Alabama.  I appreciated that poster's point - that even if it's not under your direct purview as coach, this stuff does affect the program.  Are they lacking control in the same way down in Tuscaloosa?  Technically correct or not, I don't get the impression that the Alabama staff is acting accountable for their players and program.

Edited by enrique14150
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, enrique14150 said:

As for this situation at Alabama - 

Rachel Lenzi of the Buffalo News recently questioned the culture at UB, considering a few problems like Chanse Robinson (was he ever actually here?), Malik Zachary, and the recruiting of Mballa.  One of the replies to my thoughts on that said "As for culture, whether it’s fair or not, the staff is always accountable for the actions of their players" and this was "proof that Whitesell had no control."  I don't assume this is everyone's opinion, and personally I wonder how much control you can have 24/7 over these people.  But I wonder if the same applies to Oats and Alabama.  I appreciated that poster's point - that even if it's not under your direct purview as coach, this stuff does affect the program.  Are they lacking control in the same way down in Tuscaloosa?  Technically correct or not, I don't get the impression that the Alabama staff is acting accountable for their players and program.

Totally agree with you…and as many here have mentioned, had they not been winning would things be different? Bc they have taken every wrong step from a PR stand point. And Nate looks completely overwhelmed and arrogant. But hey they have a shot at a title. 

A bigger question is, if culture was a reason Whitesell got canned, do we wanna bring in Hogdson? 

23 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Totally agree with you…and as many here have mentioned, had they not been winning would things be different? Bc they have taken every wrong step from a PR stand point. And Nate looks completely overwhelmed and arrogant. But hey they have a shot at a title. 

A bigger question is, if culture was a reason Whitesell got canned, do we wanna bring in Hogdson? 

I know they seem to like sweeping in under rug since Miller has been the focus, buy Miles actually WAS part of the murder and he WAS a member of the Alabama men's basketball team when it happened. That seems to get lost in this an ACTUAL Alabama Men's basketball player was involved in a murder and 2 if not 3 other players made questionable decisions that same night. To me, that is a huge red flag, especially for a program and town that looks the other way on athletes and brushes with the law. That means, there is likely some substance to it just given the fact it got out. Certainly would lead one to believe that moral character may not be in the top 10 of things the recruiters may be looking for.

All these cases we're talking about - murder, kidnapping, stabbing - this is way beyond the normal dumb things that all college kids do.  

(And if you're reading this and saying to yourself, "I didn't do anything dumb in college" - WOW you must've done some REALLY dumb stuff because you don't even remember it!)

I find it admirable when a coach and a program is willing to give someone who has made some mistakes a chance to move on and show they have improved.  Yet I can understand why a coach and a program wouldn't want to even take the chance on that, whether it's about winning or just about a second chance in life, when it's your career that gets burned if things go wrong.  That said - bad stuff is going to happen. People are going to make some bad choices. What's the reaction though?  I don't think the Bama program (nor any) could hold these kids' hands 24/7 but their reaction to all this has been questionable to most.