Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

24 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

But didn’t one of the other Twitter CBB guys just report yesterday that Hodgson to Ark State was DONE? 

Gotta love the 24/7 news cycle and everyone trying to outdo each other to be the first to “break” a story, never mind whether it’s actually true or not 🙄

Hey, I heard Hurley is in the mix to come back to UB  😂

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

But didn’t one of the other Twitter CBB guys just report yesterday that Hodgson to Ark State was DONE? 

Gotta love the 24/7 news cycle and everyone trying to outdo each other to be the first to “break” a story, never mind whether it’s actually true or not 🙄

Speaking of Hurley, there’s buzz on twitter that there may be a mutual break up at ASU. But again, that’s the buzz on twitter. 

50 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

23 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Speaking of Hurley, there’s buzz on twitter that there may be a mutual break up at ASU. But again, that’s the buzz on twitter. 

Maybe Hurley is lol 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MuchMany said:

It is interesting reading reports on possible coaching hires . In particular coaches like BH and Washington who seem to be assistant coaches who could have their pick of head coaching positions. Being at high level D1 jobs why would you take a head coaching position at any school where you would take a lower salary and have several variables like bad facilities and low fan and college attendance with very little donor/alumni  interest. Taking a job where in a few years if you don’t turn in into a winning culture you will be starting all over again in finding a high level job. Family consideration should be important also. That is the million dollar question for many of these coaches do you wait a few more years to see if your profile becomes more popular?? A coach like Washington with ties to the MAC and in Michigan and having a positive resume could result in a win for us here at UB.

Man, as solid as Washington seems, being this close to landing my preferred choice in Cohen makes this a nervy time. The Romulus/WMU/Ann Arbor track is fine, but I really hope we go outside the MAC box.

I'm solidly in the camp of bringing in the guy who grew up a stone's throw from UB and still appears to live and die Buffalo sports. It's a way to get an up-and-coming coach to come here as more than just a stepping stone.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Man, as solid as Washington seems, being this close to landing my preferred choice in Cohen makes this a nervy time. The Romulus/WMU/Ann Arbor track is fine, but I really hope we go outside the MAC box.

I'm solidly in the camp of bringing in the guy who grew up a stone's throw from UB and still appears to live and die Buffalo sports. It's a way to get an up-and-coming coach to come here as more than just a stepping stone.

Being a Buffalo definitely doesn't hurt. 

2 hours ago, ub2019 said:

This brings a smile to my face and has me excited. Instant rejuvenation shot if we land either of these candidates. On paper both are qualified and fit the mold of what most of us here want and are looking for. Up and comer, no baggage and can recruit. Go Bulls, exciting days ahead.

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

Respectfully, any coach who comes in and wins will treat us as a stepping stone when millions are put in front of them. Whether they’re from here or not. All Nate Oats talk about Gonzaga of the East was just salesmanship. He took the first big check he was offered. As any of us would. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaBulls99 said:

Respectfully, any coach who comes in and wins will treat us as a stepping stone when millions are put in front of them. Whether they’re from here or not. All Nate Oats talk about Gonzaga of the East was just salesmanship. He took the first big check he was offered. As any of us would. 

There comes a time for some when the money is sufficient and they are looking for a place to raise their family.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaBulls99 said:

I understand that on the macro level. But it could be the difference between staying three years and jumping at the first better opportunity, or staying five and waiting for the right better opportunity because you're very happy where you are. And that would make a huge difference here. 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

Adding to what @MuchManyjust said, I think we would all sign up for a coach only being here 5 years if it meant MAC championships and tournament appearances/wins. Right now UB needs to understand the landscape of college athletics and where we stand in it. We were a dormant program that became a premiere stepping stone gig. What we need now is to grow our donor/booster base so that we can prove we can pay coaches. That way we stay a premiere stepping stone gig and move into the category of being able to retain our coaches over them leaving for just any P5 job. Example, if we grow our booster game we can pay a coach in the low millions and that will maybe keep them here rather than jump ship to a Minnesota. Maybe they will stay while they win, get paid and hold out for a bigger gig.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Adding to what @MuchManyjust said, I think we would all sign up for a coach only being here 5 years if it meant MAC championships and tournament appearances/wins. Right now UB needs to understand the landscape of college athletics and where we stand in it. We were a dormant program that became a premiere stepping stone gig. What we need now is to grow our donor/booster base so that we can prove we can pay coaches. That way we stay a premiere stepping stone gig and move into the category of being able to retain our coaches over them leaving for just any P5 job. Example, if we grow our booster game we can pay a coach in the low millions and that will maybe keep them here rather than jump ship to a Minnesota. Maybe they will stay while they win, get paid and hold out for a bigger gig.

Well said. Having a kid from Williamsville as the HC, getting out in the community, reestablishing connections and making inroads to potential donors or season ticket holders would be a real positive. Hell, a social media series of Cohen touring his old stomping grounds, taking the team to a Bills game, etc would be lightyears ahead of what we've had lately (a fun five minute video about the annual Ellicottville retreat and that's it).

PS The guy is regarded as a young savant in the coaching field from everything I've read. He's (hopefully) in contention entirely based on merit and he's on the wish list of other mid-majors too. The local part is just an extra factor that I'd absolutely use as a tie-breaker.

• Like 3

I’m totally with you. I definitely don’t think it can hurt. But usually coaches stay for the right chance like Luke Fickell in Football when it’s a difference of already making $3 million and you get offered $5 million but choose to stay. When they’re making $400-500k here and get offered $3-4 million, we just don’t stand a chance. And that’s ok if it means championships for us. Hopefully he’s the choice and we have that problem. 

• Like 2

Who ever the new UB Bulls basketball coach is they are going to be expected to win basketball games regardless of where there from. Having Buffalo ties doesn’t give you a pass to lose regardless of that bum Reggie Witherspoon still employed at Canisius College getting over on Canisius College dime because they don’t have a dime and Buffalo fans have no time for that nonsense with Griffs basketball.

UB Bulls new coaching hire has to win important basketball games regardless where they are from. Jim Whitesell like Reggie Witherspoon won basketball games just not the important ones. Two years in the NCAA tournament or the new UB Bulls basketball coach is a bad hire that is reality today with transfer portals. BSF are you saying Maurice Linquist saved his UB football coaching job winning the Camellia Bowl last year in year two? Yes with this UB Bulls fan he did. Would you fire Becky Burke next year if UB Bulls doesn’t make the NCAA Tournament? Yes she would have to show a lot of progress next season or she is a bad hire. And no coach contract extension until UB makes the NCAA Tournament that should be the rule.

UB athletics spent a lot of money $500,000 to make that contract extension mistake Jim Whitesell go away. I hope UB athletics learned there lesson from the Jim Whitesell extension bidding against ourselves. UB athletics doesn’t have the resources to waste money on mistakes like that. $500,000 buys UB a new turfed for UB Stadium as a example that was a very expensive mistake we shouldn’t be dancing with joy UB wasted money like that when it could have went on more important things for the UB athletics program. Congratulations Jim Whitesell you and your lawyer got over. I hope UB athletics learns from that dumb mistake in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up

1 minute ago, UB Horns Up said:

Who ever the new UB Bulls basketball coach is they are going to be expected to win basketball games regardless of where there from.

1 minute ago, UB Horns Up said:

UB Bulls new coaching hire has to win important basketball games regardless where they are from.

You can say that again!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, UB Horns Up said:

Who ever the new UB Bulls basketball coach is they are going to be expected to win basketball games regardless of where there from. Having Buffalo ties doesn’t give you a pass to lose regardless of that bum Reggie Witherspoon still employed at Canisius College getting over on Canisius College dime because they don’t have a dime and Buffalo fans have no time for that nonsense with Griffs basketball.

UB Bulls new coaching hire has to win important basketball games regardless where they are from. Jim Whitesell like Reggie Witherspoon won basketball games just not the important ones. Two years in the NCAA tournament or the new UB Bulls basketball coach is a bad hire that is reality today with transfer portals. BSF are you saying Maurice Linquist saved his UB football coaching job winning the Camellia Bowl last year in year two? Yes with this UB Bulls fan he did. Would you fire Becky Burke next year if UB Bulls doesn’t make the NCAA Tournament? Yes she would have to show a lot of progress next season or she is a bad hire. And no coach contract extension until UB makes the NCAA Tournament that should be the rule.

UB athletics spent a lot of money $500,000 to make that contract extension mistake Jim Whitesell go away. I hope UB athletics learned there lesson from the Jim Whitesell extension bidding against ourselves. UB athletics doesn’t have the resources to waste money on mistakes like that. $500,000 buys UB a new turfed for UB Stadium as a example that was a very expensive mistake we shouldn’t be dancing with joy UB wasted money like that when it could have went on more important things for the UB athletics program. Congratulations Jim Whitesell you and your lawyer got over. I hope UB athletics learns from that dumb mistake in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

If Jim gets a decent job, the buyout is likely cut in half or more. If Jim were to, say, go back to Nate at Bama since he’s losing at least one assistant, the buyout could end up being even smaller.

You always complain about not being “big time”, buyouts of ineffective coaches are part of the game. 

53 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

If Jim gets a decent job, the buyout is likely cut in half or more. If Jim were to, say, go back to Nate at Bama since he’s losing at least one assistant, the buyout could end up being even smaller.

You always complain about not being “big time”, buyouts of ineffective coaches are part of the game. 

Canisius is just running out the clock with Reggie. Only an NCAA appearance will save him.

37 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Canisius is just running out the clock with Reggie. Only an NCAA appearance will save him.

I don't think they have the budget for anybody better. They've accepted his poor results. I love beating up on L3 teams but the better the B4 teams are the better it is for college hoops in WNY. Don't ask me about that when we beat L3 teams by double digits though, I'll say let them suck.

• Like 2