Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jim Whitesell and UB Part Ways

Kevin

2 hours ago, Blue03 said:

Yeah I agree that alum attendance is dismal. It’s been a big issue that people come to the buffalo area for college and then leave for elsewhere. UB is trying to start campaigning for people to stay in buffalo, things like ads on busses and whatnot. I’m from Rochester myself and don’t really watch local news here while I’m in school, so genuine question here. Do local stations ever talk about UB sports? Back home the sports people always talked about Syracuse, but do they do that here? North campus is a little bit of a hike for some people in buffalo, I feel like some exciting ads and news sections would be the only way to motivate the community to come. 

Our family were surprised with the attendance this year especially when it seemed UB lost a lot of season ticket holders.Many of the games averaged over 4,000. But there were many open seats in the low 100 sections and in our 114 section  and we noticed that many of the fans we had seen last year were gone. Just think if we had a top team with a very good team how many fans would of come back. As far as the local news and the paper the coverage is terrible. Many times the day of the game the news does not even mention the game. The News covers all the high school games more than the college schools.I don’t know what kind of research they do but somehow they have more subscribers that are more interested in the high school scene. The news should be able to cover both scenes but sadly that is not the case.

2 hours ago, Blue03 said:

Yeah I agree that alum attendance is dismal. It’s been a big issue that people come to the buffalo area for college and then leave for elsewhere. UB is trying to start campaigning for people to stay in buffalo, things like ads on busses and whatnot. I’m from Rochester myself and don’t really watch local news here while I’m in school, so genuine question here. Do local stations ever talk about UB sports? Back home the sports people always talked about Syracuse, but do they do that here? North campus is a little bit of a hike for some people in buffalo, I feel like some exciting ads and news sections would be the only way to motivate the community to come. 

Most of our Alums leave WNY and UB does very little to keep them engaged with their alma mater beyond sending brochures or calling asking for money. I live in New England and I can't even join the Alumni Association Chapter in Boston because the link on our website just leads to a disabled Facebook page. The entire site is devoted to the theme "Boldly Buffalo" so it's obvious they are only focusing their attention locally. The school abandons you the second you leave WNY so perhaps that contributes to the alums also abandoning the school.

Edited by clodney

22 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

UB alums excluding this board are terrible at donating and attending games after they graduated

UB alums didn’t attend games when they were students, so why would you expect them to attend games now? 
where are the data that show the percentage of game attendees as alumni or not? 

Average age around my section is probably around 60. There are a few families but not many people in the 20-50 age group.

Most of the UB Alumni I went to school with were foreigners or from NYC and left town after graduation. 

There is a nearly endless supply of students that should be attending (they are already paying for it in their fees).

I took about 5 different people with me to the games. Some never went to a game before. Several asked if they could go with me again.  I'm doing my part.

Edited by bullsbball

8 hours ago, 1975 said:

UB alums didn’t attend games when they were students, so why would you expect them to attend games now? 
where are the data that show the percentage of game attendees as alumni or not? 

They also don't stay past halftime if they do attend.

Besides the blue bloods/southern football schools of college football, the majority have attendance challenges if their team isn't winning.

On 3/6/2023 at 2:24 PM, clodney said:

Most of our Alums leave WNY and UB does very little to keep them engaged with their alma mater beyond sending brochures or calling asking for money. I live in New England and I can't even join the Alumni Association Chapter in Boston because the link on our website just leads to a disabled Facebook page. The entire site is devoted to the theme "Boldly Buffalo" so it's obvious they are only focusing their attention locally. The school abandons you the second you leave WNY so perhaps that contributes to the alums also abandoning the school.

First did you contact the Alumni Association on any of these issues.  I did.

The Boston Facebook page has been shut down, as have most of the other Facebook regional pages.  This is a trend among all universities.  The only active pages left are for New York City Philadelphia and a couple of others.

To follow the Alumni Association join the Facebook page for the entire Alumni Association. https://www.facebook.com/buffaloalumni

Follow them on Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/45193/

You can register for UB Connect on the Alumni Association's home page: https://www.buffalo.edu/alumni.html If already registered make sure they have all your current contact information.

For events you can look at the events page: https://www.buffalo.edu/alumni/events.html

You can also go to the UB Now page and contact them to receive a daily email about what is happening on campus: https://www.buffalo.edu/ubnow.html

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Wow 63 pages. This thread got very crazy, reading through it now, Jim certainly has his supporters.

Are we all ready to move on now. I saw the writing on the wall for this team and coach 3 years ago to this day. He didn't have Nate Oats to give him players. Even one of their better players this season, Hardnett, was a Hodgson/Oats player that the team was passed through after they left. 

The right thing to do for the team is to restart with a young upstart coach like Hurley or Oats. 

On 3/6/2023 at 4:10 AM, BrooklynBull said:

Look UB alums have to do more with NIL. Why aren’t UB Bulls Fantastics page not selling replica jerseys not just current NIL UB players but past Stars Khalil Mack is a superstar football player we had Khalil MacK UB t-shirts with his name and number. Basically that and the bobble head in his UB uniform and that is it. Again if UB wants to really be big time this has to happen or UB should forget Division I athletics in the modern times today. That is why Syracuse Orange basketball coach Jim Boeheim is out of a job because he didn’t embrace NIL and that is needed today to win in major college athletics.

Again UB alums can spins things what ever way they want but the Bonnies are beating out UB with NIL. That is why the Bonnies have nice things like a million dollar head coach and you can have some fun wearing the Bonnies star players jerseys. UB Bulls are the no fun basketball and football program. UB is stuck with that loser Jim Whitesell maybe with NIL UB brings in the players to help that loser be a better coach at least help get UB fans through that hiring mistakes contract. Make UB Bulls basketball fun again in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

1 hour ago, MKBullsfan said:

It’s time to move on. Get a new coach. Why wait another 1-2 years of mediocrity under this coach? Start now.

It is a good time/place for a reminder on the current contract.  From the TBN:

"Whitesell’s contract extension includes an agreement that the school would owe him $600,000 if he is terminated by UB before April 5, 2022, and that buyout would drop by $100,000 in each of the following years, until the expiration date of the contract.

If Whitesell is to leave before April 5, 2022, he would owe UB $600,000, and that figure would drop by $100,000 in each of the following years, until the expiration date of the contract."

--

So...I would assume that on April 6, 2023, the buyout would be $400,000.  I think that is right around his salary amount (including other compensations). 

I read he is on contract through the 2025 season, so I think we would have three more years to go (assuming the 2025 season means 2025-26).

I very, very, very seriously doubt he is fired this year.

Next year (after the season), regardless of the outcome, I strongly expect he will be fired OR receive an extension.  After all, it doesn't really make sense to get to "one year left on the contract".  This coach knows that all too well.

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/10/us/10cncsports.html

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

That is why the Bonnies have nice things like a million dollar head coach

So St. Bonaventure spent $1,000,000.00 on a coach and went 14-18 and lost their first tournamnet game.  Not so great a return on investment.

Edited by BrooklynBull
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 4/5/2022 at 11:46 AM, clodney said:

Today is the day. Whitesell's buyout just dropped $100k.

This upcoming year is now a complete rebuild. If we don't fire him now, I can't imagine how bad it's going to feel in 12 months when we end up winning only a handful of games. Why prolong the inevitable execution and dig an even bigger hole just to save another $100k in buyout?

Let's start fresh and give someone else the chance to run this rebuild.

I eagerly await April 6 to reiterate my comments from a year ago. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, UB92 said:

It is a good time/place for a reminder on the current contract.  From the TBN:

"Whitesell’s contract extension includes an agreement that the school would owe him $600,000 if he is terminated by UB before April 5, 2022, and that buyout would drop by $100,000 in each of the following years, until the expiration date of the contract.

If Whitesell is to leave before April 5, 2022, he would owe UB $600,000, and that figure would drop by $100,000 in each of the following years, until the expiration date of the contract."

--

So...I would assume that on April 6, 2023, the buyout would be $400,000.  I think that is right around his salary amount (including other compensations). 

I read he is on contract through the 2025 season, so I think we would have three more years to go (assuming the 2025 season means 2025-26).

I very, very, very seriously doubt he is fired this year.

Next year (after the season), regardless of the outcome, I strongly expect he will be fired OR receive an extension.  After all, it doesn't really make sense to get to "one year left on the contract".  This coach knows that all too well.

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/10/us/10cncsports.html

The 2025 season means 24-25. So 2 more. 

6 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

So St. Bonaventure spent $1,000,000.00 on a coach and went 14-18 and lost their first tournament game.  Not so great a return on investment.

Mark Schmidt has a long track record of success and built that program from a laughing stock in the A10 coming off probation to a school that has made three NCAA Tournaments (should be four), a NIT Final Four and a perennial contender in a Top 10 conference in college basketball during his tenure.

One year doesn't destroy his reputation, especially when they didn't have one returning player from his team last season. So while both teams were especially awful this year (Bona 200, UB 204 in KenPom), I'm more inclined to give Schmidt a pass than Jim Whitesell.

Whitesell has been a D1 head coach for over a decade and hasn't made a NCAA Tournament at this level. Spending money doesn't guarantee success but it certainly helps.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

52 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Mark Schmidt has a long track record of success and built that program from a laughing stock in the A10 coming off probation to a school that has made three NCAA Tournaments (should be four), a NIT Final Four and a perennial contender in a Top 10 conference in college basketball during his tenure.

One year doesn't destroy his reputation, especially when they didn't have one returning player from his team last season. So while both teams were especially awful this year (Bona 200, UB 204 in KenPom), I'm more inclined to give Schmidt a pass than Jim Whitesell.

Whitesell has been a D1 head coach for over a decade and hasn't made a NCAA Tournament at this level. Spending money doesn't guarantee success but it certainly helps.

The A-10 is a higher and better overall conference with overall better teams and thus more bucks in many ways. Can’t compare what coaches are paid in the A-10 versus the MAC. Between alums and donors along with tv contracts we can’t compete. Such as life in the low rent districts.

• Like 1