Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jim Whitesell and UB Part Ways

Kevin

I was a defender of the Whitesell hire as a means of continuity but by the end of year 3 it was clear he wasn't the guy and he had outlived his purpose after he was no longer retaining Segu/Williams. This is good news and let's hope Alnutt doesn't fuck this one up. Hodgson is the clear ideal candidate. I'd also love Josh Pastner. He flamed out at Georgia Tech but that's a hard place to win. He's super well liked, and other high major bounce backs have had success at mid-majors later on (i.e. Alford at Nevada, Kennedy at UAB, Pitino at Iona, other Pitino at New Mexico, Groce at Akron etc.)

Edited by trueblue32

I am thinking coaches who are young and energetic like his recent hires of Maurice Linguist and Becky Burke.  

Also don't forget about Adam Baumann who was the Director of Basketball Operations here under Oats and coached Blue Collar U last year.

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

It was time. I was as optimistic as anyone coming into this season and I was encouraged by some of the early results with a mix-and-match collection of players. Plus I don't see any point in obsessing over negative potentialities, but to each their own and the critics proved right here (hell I checked out six weeks ago).

The way I see it, these were the fatal flaws for this regime:

1. Lack of shooting/skill, over reliance on athleticism and positional tweeners.

2. Unintelligent play, we're the best academic school in the MAC and we play the least cerebral brand of ball.

3. Broken recruiting, relying on JUCO and transfer over building a roster with traditional recruits.

4. Lack of excitement, it's entertainment after all and JW just didn't inspire - I'm a rabid STH and even my support completely collapsed not due to results, but just a lack of "juice" around the program.

5. Staff, was never impressed by his guys, lack of adjustments, the bench was always dead compared to visitors. 

I'm excited to see where this coaching search goes. I think our brand power from the Oats days is not completely dead and we fired Jim because we have a relatively big fish in our sights. Here's hoping. Go UB.

Go Bulls!

• Like 1

Also saw someone point out that Alnutt overlapped with Mike Anderson at Missouri who was just fired by St. John’s. AD ties, NY ties, played the fastest pace in the country the past two years. Mediocre results at St. John’s but he outperformed their last 4 coaches which says something. He also had pretty good results at his previous stops (Arkansas, Missouri, UAB)

Edited by trueblue32

3 hours ago, JFH47 said:

Whoever it was from UB who gave and then extended the contract with Whitesell should never be allowed to be at the negotiation table again!

He was the safe choice after Oates left but he never should have been extended especially with those staggering buyout numbers. Knowledgeable basketball people knew we wasn’t going anywhere. He is an assistant coach at best. 

Mark Alnutt should also been shown the door. Can anyone recall what he has accomplished?

I am a longtime season ticket holder and will renew once again and pay the extremely inflated seat license fee. 

Any thoughts?

I actually like this comment. Many people (myself included) were very wary of this elevation just because he would keep Williams/Segu. The whole reason this thread started was because of my feelings that he did not have the resume to take over what was at the time, a top and budding mid major program. 

I got called a hack. That one hurt. 

• xDerekRx changed the title to Jim Whitesell and UB Part Ways

Definitely proud of UB for making this move. Wasn't sure they would. Shows they definitely don't want to slip too far away from the mid major heights from just a few years ago.

That being said, wish Jim the best.

And also the next hire is massively important.

• Like 3

If I remember correctly when alnutt was hired, he was some what open to the fact he doesn't know basketball as well as he does football and wanted jack and oats to continue to do their thing 

With that said I wonder if alnutt is going after someone he knows already hodgson/Anderson/pastner and wants to make moves quick 

Just now, Tee4three said:

If I remember correctly when alnutt was hired, he was some what open to the fact he doesn't know basketball as well as he does football and wanted jack and oats to continue to do their thing 

With that said I wonder if alnutt is going after someone he knows already hodgson/Anderson/pastner and wants to make moves quick 

Sadly that makes a lot of sense.

2 hours ago, BasketBull said:

A bit surprised they actually pulled the trigger now rather than wait for the buyout to drop further. Have to imagine that means they have someone in mind they are targeting.

Yea!

Okay...I am also intrigued about not waiting for the buyout.  As you mention, I strongly suspect this means they have someone in mind as well.

The evidence seems to indicate that, last time, Alnutt didn't exactly have all of his ducks in a row when Oats left.  I have gone through that in some detail in some posts over the last few years.  Thus, I would strongly suspect that Alnutt has not only a short list of candidates (made out weeks or months ago or longer), but also very specific instructions on the $$$ he can put towards this position.  Indeed, I suspect that there have already been some back channel discussions with some candidates just to gauge interest via go-betweens.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have a new coach sooner rather than later.

As @BrooklynBull mentions, I can't see anyone having any interest in an Alabama assistant owing to what has happened and, likely, what is still to come.  

Go Bulls!!

PS:  I really miss the good old days when I was driving to Cleveland today to watch the MAC Championship game to root on our Bulls.   The below will always put a smile on my face!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

Also saw someone point out that Alnutt overlapped with Mike Anderson at Missouri who was just fired by St. John’s. AD ties, NY ties, played the fastest pace in the country the past two years. Mediocre results at St. John’s but he outperformed their last 4 coaches which says something. He also had pretty good results at his previous stops (Arkansas, Missouri, UAB)

No, we want coaches on their way up, not on their way down.

• Like 1

In all honesty, I just got my annual letter asking me to re-up my donations to the university.   It's been sitting on my desk, I hadn't written the check yet.  

With the university showing today that they're willing to invest in their athletics programs and not settle for middling performances on the court, I'll be donating more than usual this year.  The School of Management and Honors Program will be getting a little bonus this year as a result of this one.  

Edited by UBlearns
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, yussi1870 said:

No, we want coaches on their way up, not on their way down.

Eh it’s a fun tag line but they were also at one point coaches on their way up. It’s a cycle but one has a track record of already doing it. I’m not against either but completely ruling someone out for a MAC job for not meeting high major standards is pretty silly. I listed like 5 coaches who followed this path and run a top 100 mid-major. I forgot Ritchie McKay at Liberty, there may be others. It seems like a pretty high hit rate if you have the resources to get one. I think people saw one top 25 season and believe we’re destined for that every year when we don’t have the facilities or resources to do that. Being a consistent top 100 program is not a small accomplishment at the mid-major level.

Edited by trueblue32

Take this for what it's worth but a group of donors are pushing Alnutt to hire Hodgson. That certainly means something after he wasn't considered four years ago when Oats departed.

While he certainly has his detractors, there's a large portion of the fanbase that wants UB to hire him. Out of all the potential candidates, he'll have the largest backing heading into the process.

I'm not against the idea of Josh Pastner but don't think that's likely. Mike Anderson is a nice name but could be viewed similarly as Whitesell as a retread head coach that's a short term fix despite a much more impressive resume. All of that said, I think UB is more likely to target a young, rising assistant in my opinion.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger