Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jim Whitesell and UB Part Ways

Kevin

1 minute ago, skrabukes said:

I think he's happy where he is. Good for him.

No doubt. I take nothing away from him nor do I blame. I’m just simple saying...would’ve looked good in a bulls uniform. Could’ve been the missing piece we needed this season. Is the type of player we need to get. 

Just now, DooleyBull06 said:

No doubt. I take nothing away from him nor do I blame. I’m just simple saying...would’ve looked good in a bulls uniform. Could’ve been the missing piece we needed this season. Is the type of player we need to get. 

I would have to assume that the staff figured that they had the pieces. Pretty much everyone on this board was jazzed up about Chance. We all got the "Go to Jail" card on that one unfortunately (maybe we'll roll doubles next time). We also were hyped for Zachery. That one remains to be seen, maybe a glimmer of hope there? If those 2 pieces are what we (and surely the staff) thought, this team is far different than the current one.

As for Whitesell...he puts together another season like this next year. Or wins 20...and the talk from administration will be extension. Not firing. Mid majors who are cheap financially don’t fire winning coaches. So I don’t understand the calls for him to be fired...right now. The fairer question is have we regressed as a program to the days before Hurley?

3 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

As for Whitesell...he puts together another season like this next year. Or wins 20...and the talk from administration will be extension. Not firing. Mid majors who are cheap financially don’t fire winning coaches. So I don’t understand the calls for him to be fired...right now. The fairer question is have we regressed as a program to the days before Hurley?

We haven't regressed in my opinion but the reason there is so much talk about a change is there is a glaring potential to head back there

Edited by Tee4three

10 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

I would have to assume that the staff figured that they had the pieces. Pretty much everyone on this board was jazzed up about Chance. We all got the "Go to Jail" card on that one unfortunately (maybe we'll roll doubles next time). We also were hyped for Zachery. That one remains to be seen, maybe a glimmer of hope there? If those 2 pieces are what we (and surely the staff) thought, this team is far different than the current one.

Those 2 pieces hurt. We go from being 5 guys deep to actually having an ok bench and being able to rest players throughout the game

21 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

The fairer question is have we regressed as a program to the days before Hurley?

Not as of 10:30pm on 3/19/21 in my eyes. Could it go the other way? Could it go above and beyond? I think both are possible. I'm hopeful for the latter. Let's see what the off-season brings.

Edited by skrabukes

2 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

We haven't regressed in my opinion but the reason there is so much talk about a change is there is a glaring potential to head back there

To this point...I don’t see the AD making a preemptive move. Might take a couple losing seasons back to back to force their hand.

2 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Not as of 10:30pm on 3/19/21 in my eyes. Could it go the other way? Could it go above and beyond? I think both are possible. I'm hopeful for the latter. Let's see what the off-season brings. 

To this point...next year is a defining year for Whitesell. Does he take a good senior laden team to a MAC title? Does he do enough to warrant extension talks? Or does he flop completely?

Just now, DooleyBull06 said:

To this point...next year is a defining year for Whitesell. Does he take a good senior laden team to a MAC title? Does he do enough to warrant extension talks? Or does he flop completely?

I would believe that everyone here is hoping for the first 2 (sadly I think some people want the 3rd so that they can prove they are smarter than others).

7 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

To this point...I don’t see the AD making a preemptive move. Might take a couple losing seasons back to back to force their hand.

Whens the last time ub basketball had a losing season? (I honestly can't remember one)

Whitesell is going to get his contract, will he get more is the question.

15 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

I would believe that everyone here is hoping for the first 2 (sadly I think some people want the 3rd so that they can prove they are smarter than others).

Not a single member of this forum wants him to fail. I’m begging him to make this thread look like nonsense.

46 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

The problem is that he will be neither an A coach or an F coach. He’ll be a C coach and for many fans that’s fine. That’s why we held on to Spoon because folks are fine with a C team and a C coach. They think of all the SUNY’s as the same. There’s another set of us who think of UB as the flagship and deserving of an A coach and an A team. We can allow for a B level of play once in a while but will not stand for C. We shouldn’t wait until we become the C team. Let’s read the tea leaves and move on.

• Thanks 1

The expectation of the basketball team should be Mac championship year in year out regular season and conference tournament with the idea of playing in the Ncaa's or at minimum the NIT. I don't think this is a crazy ask either

This off season is gigantic for the program not just whitesell. We need to make sure that our players stay, and we need to hit on recruits - not just talented players but good kids too. I don't want to read that a player that represents my school dropped off the team and proceeded to be arrested for kid napping - that's a bad look  

Right now from everything I've seen (don't have any idea on how he is outside of games) Jim whitesell has a passing grade, barely but he is passing

• Like 1