Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jim Whitesell and UB Part Ways

Kevin

1 hour ago, DaBulls99 said:

Genuine question. Who had a better year, us or Toledo? They were widely viewed as the most successful MAC team this year but lost in the conference semis and also got bounced in the first round of the NIT. 

Ub in the second half had the better season

If ub had played they way they did in the second half of the season in the first half, ub would have been in bubble consideration or at least have seen the ub logo in bubble articles 

14 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

So that ub can be in ncaa jail 3 years from now?

Slim to none chance the same mistakes will be made again... If you think bottom of the MAC and unwatchable again is better... sure . I’d take my chances every time on Pitino.

23 minutes ago, lederh94 said:

Slim to none chance the same mistakes will be made again... If you think bottom of the MAC and unwatchable again is better... sure . I’d take my chances every time on Pitino.

Not to mention the $1mil salary. Again, lots of people here willing to pay out big bucks.

If Pitino stays at Iona they will be the Gonzaga of the East. He talks a big game. Has a lofty vision for that program. Next year they are slated to host games at the Garden. And play in MTEs against big competition. And Pitino can and will recruit. Question is how long will Pitino stay

Edited by DooleyBull06

2 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

If Pitino stays at Iona they will be the Gonzaga of the East. He talks a big game. Has a lofty vision for that program. Next year they are slated to host games at the Garden. And play in MTEs against big competition. And Pitino can and will recruit. Question is how long will Pitino stay

Pitino is almost 70 years old.

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Yea so? Still has the desire to coach. Can still very much coach. And can recruit. Your point?

Well, he’s mortal. And Iona is perennially a top XC team nationally, but I don’t see Iona becoming a national power in men’s basketball. Pitino is probably looking to bolster or restore his reputation, after his recent embarrassing charades, in an attempt to gain employment at another P5 school. You mentioned Gonzaga of the East. That’s rich. As if Gonzaga and it’s mystique materialized overnight ala Oats, for example. Gonzaga increasingly has been perceived as a national power for years. Few stayed there for the whole ride. Those are years that Rick Pitino doesn’t have, unless he’s made a pact with the devil. I’m not disputing his desire or ability to coach. Turning a team from a crap conference into a national power takes time, if it can be done at all. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, squire17 said:

Well, he’s mortal. And Iona is perennially a top XC team nationally, but I don’t see Iona becoming a national power in men’s basketball. Pitino is probably looking to bolster or restore his reputation, after his recent embarrassing charades, in an attempt to gain employment at another P5 school. You mentioned Gonzaga of the East. That’s rich. As if Gonzaga and it’s mystique materialized overnight ala Oats, for example. Gonzaga increasingly has been perceived as a national power for years. Few stayed there for the whole ride. Those are years that Rick Pitino doesn’t have, unless he’s made a pact with the devil. I’m not disputing his desire or ability to coach. Turning a team from a crap conference into a national power takes time, if it can be done at all. 

Two things I think about what you just said...1) “Turning a team in a crap conference into a national power takes time.” Yes, except when your name is Rick Pitino that shaves off time. 2) And I completely agree with you...I also do feel he is just trying to restore his reputation. Which is why I said if he stays at Iona. Bc no doubt a P5 will come calling. And that could be his last hurrah. But let’s say he stays at Iona for 5 more years. I see them constantly in the tourney. Which they do anyway, but I can see them making deeper runs as Pitino brings in higher caliber players.

Just now, DooleyBull06 said:

Two things I think about what you just said...1) “Turning a team in a crap conference into a national power takes time.” Yes, except when your name is Rick Pitino that shaves off time. 2) And I completely agree with you...I also do feel he is just trying to restore his reputation. Which is why I said if he stays at Iona. Bc no doubt a P5 will come calling. And that could be his last hurrah. But let’s say he stays at Iona for 5 more years. I see them constantly in the tourney. Which they do anyway, but I can see them making deeper runs as Pitino brings in higher caliber players.

That’s reasonable. Pitino indisputably is a winner, but not one that should be hired, for obvious reasons. Gonzaga of the East? I doubt that will ever happen. The fact that Few has stayed at Gonzaga is remarkable. What are the odds that a comparably capable coach would stay at one school to nurture and tweak his team, while forgoing huge financial incentives every year or so? Slim to none.

7 minutes ago, squire17 said:

That’s reasonable. Pitino indisputably is a winner, but not one that should be hired, for obvious reasons. Gonzaga of the East? I doubt that will ever happen. The fact that Few has stayed at Gonzaga is remarkable. What are the odds that a comparably capable coach would stay at one school to nurture and tweak his team, while forgoing huge financial incentives every year or so? Slim to none.

Agree. Does anyone know what Few gets paid? And by me saying Gonzaga of the East I purely meant small school crap conference making runs in the tournament every year.

How does a small school like Gonzaga afford $3 mil, a tiny school like Bona pay $900k, and a huge school like Buffalo struggle to pay $300k with paltry incentives? There is something to consider. Is it that Buffalo has football? It doesn’t have baseball, hockey, lacrosse, soccer...am I missing something?

11 minutes ago, squire17 said:

How does a small school like Gonzaga afford $3 mil, a tiny school like Bona pay $900k, and a huge school like Buffalo struggle to pay $300k with paltry incentives? There is something to consider. Is it that Buffalo has football? It doesn’t have baseball, hockey, lacrosse, soccer...am I missing something?

Cause Gonzaga gets a fuck ton of money from donors, revenue from basketball to afford it.

2 hours ago, squire17 said:

It's SUNY and it's the donor base.