Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo v. Army

Dabulls

11 minutes ago, Erie County said:

Yes

I think the biggest issue is getting nothing out of the 2019/2020 classes. Can't have that for much longer

Not gonna lie, I wouldn’t be too upset if he transfers... he never steps up in the games we need him to and if he does have a high scoring game its with a low shooting %. I’m ready for Williams, Segu, and Mballa to be our go to scorers

Well, the first 2 games was essentially last year's roster minus Johnson, Grant and Jordan (and then even no Mballa for the last 10 min of game 1 and all of today's game). That's not a recipe for high level success off the start. We were a decent team last year with those guys, without them it's a struggle as shown by several stretches over these games. I believe that with Mballa and hopefully Chanse, we will be able to be comparable to last year's squad (with hopefully a better finish in the MAC playoffs). This team with Segu/Graves/Williams/Mballa/Bertram, with Chanse/Hardnett/Fagan/Gallion can compete with teams in the MAC. They will win some and lose some. It's not a 16-4 team, but a team that should be over .500 and able to win/lose at any time. A big problem that I see is that we really don't have any stud outside shooters. Whereas most of the guys are capable of making 3s, no one appears to be the CJ/Harris type of knockdown guy. In my opinion, this team is going to have to out-hustle their opponents and limit their turnovers greatly in order to win constantly this season. They are capable of doing that, but it must be a focus every game. Personally, I hate the 1-on-1 BS that happens far too often. While I don't want "Reggie motion", I'd like to see a couple of passes in order to get that better shot as opposed to just one pass and drive and throw up the ball. When the team had the nice run today, it was 3 consecutive "and-1's" that came from some nice movement/passing. Well, that's how I saw it anyhow. It's only 2 games and there were some positives to take away from them, which is a good thing. Let's hope Mballa isn't hurt too badly, otherwise it may be a long season. I definitely missed watching this team, regardless of today's outcome.

Disappointing loss, but give credit to Army who played well. They should have a good season. A few observations....Segu is going to fun to watch. Graves was inefficient over the the first two games, but I think he will be fine. Hardnett is an efficient player, but he has to improve his body language on the court. I’ve consistently noticed that about him. He’s always shrugging his shoulders. Today he slapped himself in the head a few times after a play. Gallion brings energy, but too many poor shots. He comes into the game and almost immediately shoots a contested three. 

It’s comical how clueless most of you are on this board. Did any of you do research on army before you trashed them or did you just decided they aren’t good because thats what you felt like?

did you know Army was 9.5 point favorites today? Did you know their average of victory this season was 41.5 points?

im not say UB played well, but you are making it seem like we lost to a youth team. 

when you play a service academy it’s all about discipline and they were more disciplined then us. 

23 minutes ago, BullBoy said:

It’s comical how clueless most of you are on this board. Did any of you do research on army before you trashed them or did you just decided they aren’t good because thats what you felt like?

did you know Army was 9.5 point favorites today? Did you know their average of victory this season was 41.5 points?

im not say UB played well, but you are making it seem like we lost to a youth team. 

when you play a service academy it’s all about discipline and they were more disciplined then us. 

Buffalo was the favorite by like 9 or so

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

I saw as high as 11. The line probably would've been different if Mballa was known to be out, but still a big difference from the "Army 9.5 favorites".

Yea my point was we were significantly favored. Wasnt sure exactly how much. I don't know where bull boy got his info and then called us clueless lol 

9 minutes ago, Gxtrex said:

Yea my point was we were significantly favored. Wasnt sure exactly how much. I don't know where bull boy got his info and then called us clueless lol 

Well I don't believe that I was knocking the team or Army's team in my post, but regardless we looked just like last year's team minus our 3 graduates. That team lost in the play in round. While there is no play in round this year, I'm certain that expectations are higher. We need our 2 injured players back and we need to play better as a whole. If so, this team is plenty capable to be a challenging opponent in the MAC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BullBoy said:

First, UB was the favorite to win by a range of 9.5-11 points. Second, those “big wins” came against a non D1 opponent and a D1 opponent that may as well be a D2 team. Don’t call other fans on here clueless when one of your major talking points was incorrect.

• Like 2

I agree with those saying we don't have a "closer". Graves has had his moments, like Kent St last year, but sometimes he doesn't feel like 1st Team All-MAC. Or he is playing so much and so hard to make up for others, his energy 

This game reminded me why we were all hoping for Mballa's waiver approval last season. We get out rebounded and many 1 and done shots today, only 7 offensive rebounds, lead by Nickelberry with 2. Mballa averaged 4 per game last season. 

I dislike the sunshine statements from Whitesell pre-game for Towson, and the AD releases:  Whitesell said Graves and Nickelberry could play point if needed, like that is optimal?! If those happen it means bad injury news....Whitesell said he was excited to see what Skogman can do...ok, then where is he? Obviously he went small today to match Army but, my gosh, we are supposed to play 8 deep now? The basketball releases say Fagan has worked on his 3..ok, cool, but where is his inside game?

3 hours ago, BullBoy said:

The only person that is clueless is you! Army hasn’t been that good for a while. You cannot in any way spin it to be a positive loss, this is a terrible loss. Just look at the upcoming schedule, these teams were playing coming up would destroy army if they played them, don’t have much of a doubt about that. 

The Army -9.5 came right from ESPN.com.  I can only report on what I read.. If you guys saw something different than that's fine.

I guess I am just confused as to why everyone thinks our struggles from last year wouldn't still continue.  Season ended, our guys left campus and were in quarantine.. They never got an offseason workout plan in with the coaching staff and nobody was here over the summer to get workouts in. 

This is kind of off topic, but I think it leads to a bigger point.. I think this new administration under Mark Alnutt has clearly made a shift from caring one bit about basketball and just putting all their eggs into football (ie. Fieldhouse and a locker room that is nice than NFL facilities).

Whitesell does deserve some blame, but I think the bigger blame should be placed on our administration for clearly showing their lack of care for our men's and women's basketball programs.

1 hour ago, BullBoy said:

The Army -9.5 came right from ESPN.com.  I can only report on what I read.. If you guys saw something different than that's fine.

I guess I am just confused as to why everyone thinks our struggles from last year wouldn't still continue.  Season ended, our guys left campus and were in quarantine.. They never got an offseason workout plan in with the coaching staff and nobody was here over the summer to get workouts in. 

This is kind of off topic, but I think it leads to a bigger point.. I think this new administration under Mark Alnutt has clearly made a shift from caring one bit about basketball and just putting all their eggs into football (ie. Fieldhouse and a locker room that is nice than NFL facilities).

Whitesell does deserve some blame, but I think the bigger blame should be placed on our administration for clearly showing their lack of care for our men's and women's basketball programs.

I think your points are valid, but I'll add a few counter-points for discussion.

First, no dispute here that the team presumably hasn't been able to get into the offseason groove - but every other team is in the same boat as well.  I would expect every program, including UB, to have a lot of rust for the first month or so.

I do think it is fair to expect growth year-over-year from the team.  This team is returning a very solid core group of players, all of whom should continue to get better as they gain experience.  Williams and Segu took major steps forward during their soph seasons, and Mballa was a revelation.  There are highly-touted recruits on this roster - Skogman, Robinson (injured) - it's fair for fans to question why a player like Skogman (for example) hasn't played yet.

To your later points, someone with more knowledge of the athletics finances can correct me, but my understanding is that the football fieldhouse was financed with private money, not out of the state's coffers / athletics budget.  For the locker room - first, the old locker room was abysmal by FBS standards; second, renovating the locker room was a long-term strategic plan that far predates Alnutt becoming AD.  For me personally, I'm not "blaming" anyone, but I do think it's a little unfair to say that the athletics department doesn't care about men's and women's basketball.  

2 hours ago, squire17 said:

FWIW: kenpom had UB favored 77-69. He had UB ranked 122 and Army 244 going in. Perhaps ESPN is better at prognosticating college basketball results than kenpom...I don’t know. 

I believe ESPN uses number fire/fan duel stuff for their predictions so they're solid

I still find it hard to believe any site/news organization would have predicted Ub losing as the vegas line only grew for ub as favorites going from opening at -9.5 and heading towards -13.5 at some places

11 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Think it’s safe to say that Fagan should not be getting any minutes.

I think it is a mistake to write anyone off this early in the season. Especially someone like Fagan who showed some flashes two years ago and is coming off a season where he played little because of a season ending injury. However, he like everyone else on the roster needs to improve as the season progresses. 

11 hours ago, UB85 said:

I think it is a mistake to write anyone off this early in the season. Especially someone like Fagan who showed some flashes two years ago and is coming off a season where he played little because of a season ending injury. However, he like everyone else on the roster needs to improve as the season progresses. 

I didn't get to watch either game, but I can look at a box score and read a game report.  I am not surprised by either result, though happy that Brock is contributing.  

The team is top heavy and Williams, Graves, Segu and Mballa are a strong top-4.  Without watching yet this year, it seems like a team a little better than .500 in conference with those four.  If any of those are hurt for any length of time, it can go south quickly.  Whether the team will be a top-4 team in the conference depends both on the health of those top-4 and others stepping up / improving.   We certainly don't have the depth of those Oats' teams and the defense isn't as good as those years.   

We get tested right away on Sunday with an away clash against BGSU, so we will see where we are at for that game.  BGSU was competitive against Michigan last week and then beat up a MEAC team.  They get App State today in Boone.

• Like 1

Some positives from the weekend...

Nickelberry had a great game against Army with 11 points and I think he will be a big part of this season if we want to be succesfull.

Mballa didn't play second game with a foot injury.. That is a big loss and its probably a very different game with him in there...let's hope we can get him back soon.

I wish we would have had Robinson this weekend because I think he would given quality minutes.

I didn't think Graves played well at all this weekend...He's a veteran with a lot of games under his belt, you have to think that will change in a big way.

Let's just all agree that we should stop playing Army and let's get ready for an early season MAC opener!

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 7:40 PM, BullBoy said:

I didn't know this, but Army is playing Florida today.

According to ESPN, Army is a 23 point favorite!  🙂   Sorry...had to do it!

Also...related...Army is up 8 at halftime.

1 hour ago, UB92 said:

I didn't know this, but Army is playing Florida today.

According to ESPN, Army is a 23 point favorite!  🙂   Sorry...had to do it!

Also...related...Army is up 8 at halftime.

Still winning with 2 minutes left