Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB Head Coaching Search

Jeseph

1 hour ago, Tee4three said:

Didn't remember that about leipold, and yes that was the point I was trying to get across.

He wouldn't be the first coach to say something about staying and then instantly leave

Nick saban comes to mind lol

• Like 1

Staying hopelessly optimistic. A lot of returning talent from a top 25 team makes this job more enticing than it ever had been. New field house and locker room can only help. 

The only hindrance is the timing, but wouldn’t be surprised to see a lot of talented individuals interested in the position. 

• Like 2

On 5/1/2021 at 2:03 PM, DaBulls99 said:

Brad Riter and Scott Wilson did a podcast last night with a pretty comprehensive list of options for coach. Good listen. 
https://www.trendingbuffalo.com/commentary/podcast/ubbulls/now-what-ub-coach-lance-leipold-heads-to-kansas/

I had to listen to it twice to believe it all. Wilson explained the situation very well and was on fire with some of those coaches named. Herman, RichRod, Doc Holliday, Tebow..whew, attention grabbing names for sure. I am not a Bills fan so I have even thought, why not call Rex? Not coaching, Buddy and UB, toss him $1M (he already has enough $) and bring Rob along and our games would always be televised as their defence kills MACtion..or not.

I wasn't too hot on Moorhead during the last coaching search but I'd be all for it now. Though his $900K salary with the Ducks might mean some private donations are needed. A tweet from an Altoona reporter stated Pry is not interested, which makes sense with his salary and loyalty to Franklin. Phil Parker (Iowa DC) and Nick Sheridan (Indiana OC) could get more cash coming to UB.

15 hours ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

I had to listen to it twice to believe it all. Wilson explained the situation very well and was on fire with some of those coaches named. Herman, RichRod, Doc Holliday, Tebow..whew, attention grabbing names for sure. I am not a Bills fan so I have even thought, why not call Rex? Not coaching, Buddy and UB, toss him $1M (he already has enough $) and bring Rob along and our games would always be televised as their defence kills MACtion..or not.

I wasn't too hot on Moorhead during the last coaching search but I'd be all for it now. Though his $900K salary with the Ducks might mean some private donations are needed. A tweet from an Altoona reporter stated Pry is not interested, which makes sense with his salary and loyalty to Franklin. Phil Parker (Iowa DC) and Nick Sheridan (Indiana OC) could get more cash coming to UB.

Maybe you should follow the Bills a little more. If you knew what the Ryan regime was like you'd never want them near this team. 

Edited by promotherobot
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

Maybe you should follow the Bills a little more. If you knew what the Ryan regime was like you'd never want them near this team. 

Not a fan but hard not to follow the Bills media since I live here. True, he hammed it up while the D was crap and terribly average football. I still appreciate the Ryan name and his Ravens D and Jets teams. But, tough to imagine calm, professional Alnutt trying to corral Rex coaching as Rex coaches.

So far no posting on the NCAA job site

2 hours ago, promotherobot said:

he’d be a home run in recruiting though! Give the guy credit he can talk the talk 

I'm sort of relieved it would not be Ianello or Kotelnicki, I don't assume staying in the family is the best move, nor that they are the best choices. But now the challenge for any new coach will be a smaller free agent assistant pool this time of year. Lots of work to be done seeing which assistants with jobs a new HC can pull to UB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

I'm sort of relieved it would not be Ianello or Kotelnicki, I don't assume staying in the family is the best move, nor that they are the best choices. But now the challenge for any new coach will be a smaller free agent assistant pool this time of year. Lots of work to be done seeing which assistants with jobs a new HC can pull to UB.

If they were staying in house I would have gone with Zebrowski or Simpson but it appears only Ianello is a candidate and tbh he might make more as the AHC at Kansas. 

I could see Larry Kehres getting a look 

3 hours ago, promotherobot said:

I just saw the tweet that LL is taking the whole band with him to KU, including our interim. He might as well. Leave a clean slate for the next coach.

I agree 100%. Let him take the entire staff and let the AD start from the ground up with a new hire. F it all, this upcoming season was already screwed once LL took the Kansas job. Might as well rebuild it right. Now Alnutt has to bring in a good hire. This is where he earns his paycheck. 

What do we know about the search?

The previous important coaching search that this AD ran was not ideal in its implementation.  As that is the only data point I have to go by, I am not confident that this will be an inspired hire (like, for example, Leipold, Jack and Hurley).

I believe that when you hire a search firm that the risk isn't that you will not have a quality search, it is that you cannot sell the top candidates on the opportunity and pay them $$.  At the end of the process, the only thing that matters is the quality of the hire and the reaction for the current players and recruits. 

The truly sad part about the timing of this event (post spring ball) is the impact on the players.  There is no way this team will be as good (even if everyone stays) in 2021 than they would have been with Lance and the staff that is leaving.  The transition to new coaches (even if they hire a few within) at this time of the season is going to be extremely difficult.

If the guys who are hitting the portal actually leave, this will be a terrible season.  As it is, they will probably be fortunate to hit .500.   The timing of this Leipold departure could set the program back a few years.  Alnutt needs to hit a HR here.  Get a coach the players/recruits are excited about.  It's one thing to hire a head coach, but what about a staff?

He may need to hire someone who's had success from a lower level (like Lance) and who will have an already assembled staff ready to roll in.

Edited by zigo230

26 minutes ago, zigo230 said:

If the guys who are hitting the portal actually leave, this will be a terrible season.  As it is, they will probably be fortunate to hit .500.   The timing of this Leipold departure could set the program back a few years.  Alnutt needs to hit a HR here.  Get a coach the players/recruits are excited about.  It's one thing to hire a head coach, but what about a staff?

He may need to hire someone who's had success from a lower level (like Lance) and who will have an already assembled staff ready to roll in.

Do unto others as others have done to you.

2 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Do unto others as others have done to you.

That's how college football works apparently. Kansas should have tagged an interim for the year after their self-made debacle, chalk it up as yet another lost season for them and then hired after the season like a normal program.

Any word locally on candidates who are be rumored to be in the running?  I haven't heard anything.  This must be a hard story to break..  Even with Kansas you kinda' knew who the final 3 or 4 candidates were for several weeks.

Nothing specific in tweets or on message boards. I went through several B10 boards and no posts worrying of losing an assistant. Rutgers gave a few of their coaches raises, including $600K to Fran Brown. I like Moorhead and Lembo but they are so fresh in their P5 jobs I doubt they would jump now. CMU fans have worried we'd scoop up the Ferris St coach, another with big win totals at a lower level, but I haven't seen him mentioned for the job.

Every time I think who might get hired, it leads me back to the fact May has to be the worst time to have to hire anyone when it comes to football - not late enough to just promote within and not early enough where you won't screw over who you hire from

College spring practices are in the books or near

Pro football the draft just finished and teams are gearing up for training camp and the next season

Edited by Tee4three
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Every time I think who might get hired, it leads me back to the fact May has to be the worst time to have to hire anyone when it comes to football - not late enough to just promote within and not early enough where you won't screw over who you hire from

College spring practices are in the books or near

Pro football the draft just finished and teams are gearing up for training camp and the next season

FCS is only just finishing their season. That might be the place to look.

• Like 2