Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB Head Coaching Search

Jeseph

22 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Might want the head coaching experience so that he can use it towards the LL type payday.

A small raise coupled with a promotion to showcase himself as a HC should be well-received.

In the professional world of coaches and ADs, UB has to be regarded as a great mid-tier stepping stone (as much as we hate that) after the rises of Oats, LL, and our ADs this past decade. Hopefully we can keep one for the long haul soon.

3 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

A small raise coupled with a promotion to showcase himself as a HC should be well-received.

In the professional world of coaches and ADs, UB has to be regarded as a great mid-tier stepping stone (as much as we hate that) after the rises of Oats, LL, and our ADs this past decade. Hopefully we can keep one for the long haul soon.

Agreed on all. Not sure what it will take to make the last line stick. Coach Jack is the closest to that at this point. Not sure about how the other 2 happen.

Just now, promotherobot said:

I wonder if a few players from that coach's team might try to portal their way to Buffalo as well? If we can lock this up by early next week we should be good.

lets hope for end of day...

1 hour ago, skrabukes said:

Agreed on all. Not sure what it will take to make the last line stick. Coach Jack is the closest to that at this point. Not sure about how the other 2 happen.

She is more like Frank Solich.  Let go from a P5 school and may not want to deal with the BS that they want.  She can be successful at UB with going to the tournament two or three times every five years and always being competitive in the conference and nobody will want to run her out of town.  Try that at a Big 10 school.

• Like 1

A big consideration that someone wrote on Bull Run is that Harbaugh is on the hot seat and with another subpar year he could be tossed which would likely mean his assistants are all out as well. In other words, Linguist might be guaranteed $690k this year but we might be able to entice him with a longer term guarantee despite a flat/lower annual dollar amount.

Edited by clodney
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

She is more like Frank Solich.  Let go from a P5 school and may not want to deal with the BS that they want.  She can be successful at UB with going to the tournament two or three times every five years and always being competitive in the conference and nobody will want to run her out of town.  Try that at a Big 10 school.

Also, the $$ isn't absolutely ridiculous in women's bball vs men's/football. The P5 $$ for the latter is just dumb. Women's bball salaries are good money, not stupid money. I hope she's here forever.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

Right now the coaching roster is updated with Ianello and Kotelnicki still there. I thought Kotelnicki would be gone the same as the others. Wondering if any chance he stays or it is just a matter of time he is off to Lawrence. Burrow, Reed, and Ricumstrict as expected still in board.

Is O'Neill still there?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Might want the head coaching experience so that he can use it towards the LL type payday.

Big10 assistant in a top seat should be attractive to our portal guys. Stay where you know and learn from someone that has coached and played with the big dogs. Very impressed if these are our short list guys. I guess the guy at Sweet Home blew the interview.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

It would be a hell of a shock if you were the last to know ☺️

Don't they say that the husband is always the last to know?

I'd have to go to UB and protest in such an eventuality (O'Neill leaving) ...but, I'm having a beggar of a time getting across the border...

• Like 1

I have looked up these two candidates and thought about it.

On one hand, the MN guy has head coaching experience at Maine...that's something.  

On the other hand, the MI guy has a lot of "big time" experience as a player (at Baylor) and a variety of coaching stops (including UB, several FBS programs and the NFL).   Of course, he was one-and-done at a lot of those spots.  I know that is the business if you want to move up, but his family must dread having to keep moving.  Getting a head coaching job, I am sure, is something his family would really want (because that would mean he would stay around for a few years...)

All totaled, I would prefer the MI guy, so I hope that is the direction they go...and soon...so he can re-recruit some guys who have entered the portal.

By the way, I understand why guys go into the portal.  When they were being recruited out of HS, it was a big deal to be courted in that way, to post things on social media, etc., etc.  It is a good feeling to be wanted.  Now, when a coach leaves and no one is at the helm, a few want that feeling back...so they put their name in the portal to see if they get recruited again.   Maybe someone will bite.   It is now the nature of the beast in college football.

8 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

I don't know. Anyone else feel like both these coaches are not that great? I feel like we can do better.

I’m actually pleased with an O or D coordinator from a P5 program, especially the Big10 since it’s a similar recruiting area we predominately look at. I was concerned we were going to end up with a lower level coach or a band aid choice to stop the bleeding. I also like the mid-30’s energy guys to get our existing players excited and hopefully keep us at our level and improve upon it (MAC CHAMPIONSHIP anyone?)