Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Transfer Portal

John

4 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

I think that all of that can be said about kids when they first go through the recruiting process too, so I don't understand how then making them spend 4 years wherever they first went is a better solution.  At least they're 1+ year older and have an idea of what they did/didn't like in their last school.

I do not think they should be "locked in" to four years at a given school/team, but their needs to be some middle ground. How many chances does one get to "get it right."

One free transfer, ok, I can live with that. Some switching 3 or more times? There has to be a caveat.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TML1000 said:

Also, no one was ever forced to stay anywhere, but there were consequences. Again, need some middle ground between "stuck" for four years and the ability to freely up and leave every year or enter the portal at one's leisure consistently.

First of all, I'd argue the current rule allowing one transfer without having to sit out is a good middle ground, but why do we need a middle ground? Is it because of your personal enjoyment? If it is that's fine, but just say that.  Acting like anybody on this board or at the NCAA has a better understanding of a player's situation than the player is dumb. If a kid wants to have fun playing basketball at 4 different schools in 4 years, not get a degree, and then go to trade school I don't really care. The NCAA's interests are not aligned with doing what's best for the kids so involving them in life decisions for the kids is silly.

Talent isn't evaporating at the D1 level, it's on the staff to find the market inefficiencies each year whether it's from HS, JUCO, D1 transfers, or D2/D3 up-transfers (which have become increasingly prevalent). Put a competitive team on the floor of kids that want to represent Buffalo.  That's all I care about

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, TML1000 said:

The best interest of the players is to constantly think about skipping town bc of what persons of varying expertise put into their ear? Sounds great.

Yes, a percentage go about the process with sound logic and thorough insight but I'm willing to guess that number is south of 50% Hey, they're just kids right?  

I believe it is in the best interests of the players to have the freedom to move freely from university to university without needing to arbitrarily sit out a year to do so, yes.

• Like 2

A perfect example of the tampering. The AAU coach is doing the leg work and reporting back to the player as the season unfolds. Schools can’t talk to players who haven’t entered the portal, but they low key talk to AAU coaches, wink wink nod nod, kinda convo. And as the espn article said, if you ain’t having these convos, you’re getting left behind. 

8 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

A perfect example of the tampering. The AAU coach is doing the leg work and reporting back to the player as the season unfolds. Schools can’t talk to players who haven’t entered the portal, but they low key talk to AAU coaches, wink wink nod nod, kinda convo. And as the espn article said, if you ain’t having these convos, you’re getting left behind. 

I was going to say of course the AAU guy is in on this! Those guys are about as slimy as they come.

Problem with going from school to school to school, is that many college credits don't transfer in all cases.  A person transferring often, has a slim chance at getting a degree.  If that's not a priority, why bother making them keep their grades up, or even making them attend classes for that matter.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Problem with going from school to school to school, is that many college credits don't transfer in all cases.  A person transferring often, has a slim chance at getting a degree.  If that's not a priority, why bother making them keep their grades up, or even making them attend classes for that matter.  

That is extremely not the case. If you're passing your classes, you'll be fine. Plus, when normal students talk about a 4-year degree it's usually 8 semesters. Athletes have 5 years and generally get summer funded, and can show up in spring as HS Seniors... getting up to 17 semesters. They can easily eat 2 transfers and leave with their bachelor's and masters.

When I worked at San Fran law school our ranking went down so we had to admit some lower caliber students and worked hard to build them up into killer 1Ls, inevitably, a bunch immediately transferred to Stanford or Berkeley... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SGBull said:

Every player besides 1 from LSU will be entering the draft or portal. The portal is the new norm whether we like it or not.

Their coach being fired for NCAA violations and their program having impending sanctions hanging over them is an important piece of context.

Also a good example of the NCAA’s interests not being aligned with what’s best for individual kids

1 hour ago, trueblue32 said:

Their coach being fired for NCAA violations and their program having impending sanctions hanging over them is an important piece of context.

Also a good example of the NCAA’s interests not being aligned with what’s best for individual kids

And the coach will just move on with minimal ramifications. See Sean Miller with his “reset” at X

• Like 2

If you lose a coach, you can assume a large % of your team leaves. The fact that we held our team after Nate was actually quite impressive for it’s time. Ashame it d didn’t work out but shouldn’t be ignored. 

Edited by UBminicre
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, 1975 said:

Is there a drop-dead date for when players in the portal can no longer go back to their original-school scholarship? Or is the scholarship negated the moment the player enters the portal?

Scholarships are always renewed on a year to year basis. You never really hear of kids having them pulled (aside from disciplinary reasons) but coaches often tell kids it would be best for both sides if they looked at other opportunities. That’s how Mballa and Hardnett ended up here. Kids don’t have any claim to a scholarship if they enter the portal but obviously in cases like Skogman he would be given one if he wanted to come back