Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jim Whitesell and UB Part Ways

Kevin

3 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

More to Anderson than Patrick Ewing or any coach let go

He has worked with alnutt in the past, and has had success at previous stops and very successful at a mid major level

Definitely an intriguing candidate, would need at least double JW contact I would imagine. He was Big East Coach of the year in 2021, fired in 2023, what a fickle business. I guess 7-13 and 8th place in the conference didn't impress anyone.

3 hours ago, John said:

The A-10 is a higher and better overall conference with overall better teams and thus more bucks in many ways. Can’t compare what coaches are paid in the A-10 versus the MAC. Between alums and donors along with tv contracts we can’t compete. Such as life in the low rent districts.

Agreed. However, it may come as a surprise (as it was for me) to learn that the MAAC on average pays more to its men’s basketball head coaches than the MAC. I think it’s a disgrace what some of the coaches are paid, but that’s the world we live in.

5 hours ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Mark Schmidt has a long track record of success and built that program from a laughing stock in the A10 coming off probation to a school that has made three NCAA Tournaments (should be four), a NIT Final Four and a perennial contender in a Top 10 conference in college basketball during his tenure.

One year doesn't destroy his reputation, especially when they didn't have one returning player from his team last season. So while both teams were especially awful this year (Bona 200, UB 204 in KenPom), I'm more inclined to give Schmidt a pass than Jim Whitesell.

Whitesell has been a D1 head coach for over a decade and hasn't made a NCAA Tournament at this level. Spending money doesn't guarantee success but it certainly helps.

My comment was not a shot at Schmidt but at UB Horns Up.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, squire17 said:

Agreed. However, it may come as a surprise (as it was for me) to learn that the MAAC on average pays more to its men’s basketball head coaches than the MAC. I think it’s a disgrace what some of the coaches are paid, but that’s the world we live in.

Public (MAC) vs Private (MAAC) could be why.

1 hour ago, Tee4three said:

More to Anderson than Patrick Ewing or any coach let go

He has worked with alnutt in the past, and has had success at previous stops and very successful at a mid major level

His style is definitely more mid major suited imo. Guard oriented and pressing. Cause chaos and get up and down the floor. Not real good half court offense. Might actually work with the roster we have lol

57 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

His style is definitely more mid major suited imo. Guard oriented and pressing. Cause chaos and get up and down the floor. Not real good half court offense. Might actually work with the roster we have lol

We don't play half court offense now, is that an upgrade? 🤣

2 hours ago, squire17 said:

Agreed. However, it may come as a surprise (as it was for me) to learn that the MAAC on average pays more to its men’s basketball head coaches than the MAC.

From what I've seen they're still slightly below the MAC. Problem with getting an accurate number in the MAAC is the private institutions.

There's a bit of a timing discrepancy between the two articles but I don't think Canisius and Niagara are paying more than we are.

https://www.crainscleveland.com/kevin-kleps-blog/akrons-groce-ohios-boals-top-mac-mens-hoops-coaches-2020-21-pay

https://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/story/sports/college/marist/2019/03/14/maac-coaches-pay-gap-between-top-teams-coaches-compensation/3160693002/

40 minutes ago, squire17 said:

Perhaps, although the proximity of so many MAAC schools to NYC may be a bigger factor.

Speaking of the MAAC, Marist just became the first 11 seed to make it to the championship game. From last place to playing for the chance to go to the Big Dance. This is why you’ve gotta love CBB this time of year.  See if they can knock off Pitino and Iona tomorrow night.

Ok, now back to expressing how much love and respect we have for our coach 😂

9 hours ago, Kevin said:

Is it 400k or 300k now? Doesn't it make sense that 300k with three seasons left? 

Not sure what the total is. But, according to TBN article the contract expires April 5, 2025. There is also a duty to mitigate clause which could easily cut whatever the number is in half. 

2225D921-FAD4-4AC3-A8F5-151A905F2FD0.jpeg

Isn’t it ironic that Oats’ team could be the first over-all seed, and Bobby’s team could be the last at-large team selected? Both have a connection to Danny White…whose brother, Mike might be looking for a head coaching job in a year or two, if he doesn’t right the ship at Georgia.

Bulls went 1-7 versus teams that are headed to NCAAs, including 4 games that were close losses: Drake, Howard, Kent twice. Here’s hoping they schedule like that again.

• Like 1

Whoever it was from UB who gave and then extended the contract with Whitesell should never be allowed to be at the negotiation table again!

He was the safe choice after Oates left but he never should have been extended especially with those staggering buyout numbers. Knowledgeable basketball people knew we wasn’t going anywhere. He is an assistant coach at best. 

Mark Alnutt should also been shown the door. Can anyone recall what he has accomplished?

I am a longtime season ticket holder and will renew once again and pay the extremely inflated seat license fee. 

Any thoughts?

56 minutes ago, JFH47 said:

Mark Alnutt should also been shown the door. Can anyone recall what he has accomplished?

I'd say he's overseen a relatively successful football program and kept an extremely successful WBB coach at UB until her alma mater came calling. Remember when PSU offered Jack and she stayed here?

He also got UB some extra money by re-signing Oats before the Bama Bagman came to Grand Island.

That's just on field success by the top 3 programs. I'm critical of his extension of Whitesell (in hindsight) and lack of vision for the fans of the football program. No public plan released for improving the experience at UB Stadium.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rma said:

About time, was probably a year overdue but it had to happen. We were one of the top mid majors in the country and went back to accepting mediocrity. Whitesell was a really nice guy, but just didn’t have the fire and determination to be a head coach, sure he’ll probably get an assistant job somewhere for last couple years of his career. Don’t know where Buffalo going with the hire, I would love Hodgson but not sure if they going that way. Cant be someone on the backend of career, gotta be someone who is up and coming. As much as many of us don’t like Alnutt, give him credit for making this move which was a must in my opinion. 

Edited by Ubbulls84

It was time. I was as optimistic as anyone coming into this season and I was encouraged by some of the early results with a mix-and-match collection of players. Plus I don't see any point in obsessing over negative potentialities, but to each their own and the critics proved right here (hell I checked out six weeks ago).

The way I see it, these were the fatal flaws for this regime:

1. Lack of shooting/skill, over reliance on athleticism and positional tweeners.

2. Unintelligent play, we're the best academic school in the MAC and we play the least cerebral brand of ball.

3. Broken recruiting, relying on JUCO and transfer over building a roster with traditional recruits.

4. Lack of excitement, it's entertainment after all and JW just didn't inspire - I'm a rabid STH and even my support completely collapsed not due to results, but just a lack of "juice" around the program.

5. Staff, was never impressed by his guys, lack of adjustments, the bench was always dead compared to visitors. 

I'm excited to see where this coaching search goes. I think our brand power from the Oats days is not completely dead and we fired Jim because we have a relatively big fish in our sights. Here's hoping. Go UB.

• Like 2

https://twitter.com/i/spaces/1BRJjZWweqaJw?s=20

This podcast broke the news yesterday right around the 1:24:00 mark. Some interesting comments about Hodgson on there too. They had the news, or at least broke it, before Rothstein did so it's interesting what their comments are. I'd be surprised if Hodgson would be interested but these guys know something we didn't.

I stopped actively rooting for coaches to lose their job a while ago. I wish him the best wherever he goes but I'm glad we're moving on. Hopefully this renews some excitement in the MBB program.

Edited by rma